Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Win10 and DX12 - a reason to upgrade your graphics card?

Reports now say that release version is now put over your head like a baseball cap, and is much lighter than previous dev kits.

it's good to know that i am not the only one that's having problems,on winbeta it says now that if you are using windows 10 and are an insider, you will be able to clean install the windows 10 rtm, and you don't require any previous version of windows at all.flat out free for insiders.i have to be driving pmdg nuts with my activations,i am not able to give back my activation and i have to keep asking for a key reset.the current windows 10 build 10147 i have running on my laptop seemed to have fixed all my problems i was having,i plan on installing the next slow ring build on my desktop i am on with windows 7, i am worried some of the developers are gonna hassle me about activations.i can't afford to buy the product all over again.

Edited by n4gix
Trimmed excessive quote. Again. Please stop!

What is the real advantage of Windows 10 and DirectX 12  until Lockheed Martin approves PreparD for Windows 12 and changes its code to accept DirectX 12 enahancements?

At the moment there is not advantage to having a DX12 capable card and Windows 10 for Prepar3D. There are optimizations in Windows 10 that ma or may not improve Prepar3D performance but that would be just OS level.

This has been the same for ages with all games when DX version change. Some games released today still target DX9 even though all released cards today support up to DX11. The DX9 games don't see an atvantage at the API level, just at the hardware level because the DX11 hardware is faster.

If you already have a nVidia or AMD card that will get the DX12 update, great! It propbably won't change anything right now, but would mean that you might not have to rush out and upgrade hardware if Lockheed Martin decides to support DX12 in a furture release.

Now what I'm wondering about is what feature set of DX12 might the Prepar3D dev team decide on, because while many currently released cards are eligible to get the DX12 update, they will not all support the same DX12 features.

Denali : do you have created an improved version of your program?

I still have the one from a year ago and you then wrote about improving it to get rid of the grainness and make it sharpen.

What it does is incredible!

In my 2/3 full size cockpit the outside world looks correct now.

I have no problem paying for it .

I am taking off some time in the near future, after I clean up a few loose ends.  One of the things I want to do is see what more I can do with that shader and program.  I have already written an MFC program (I'm old skool) that sets FOV and shaders on the fly, and I plan to to expand on that.  Maybe zooming will be possible.  

If I have enough time I may go deeper into directx 11 to see if I can insert something in before postprocessing to get at that graininess issue.  It's been long enough I'm sure my subconscious has had enough time to figure out something new to crank out.  At this point I'd probably ask LM for some help.  

Thanks again for the encouragement.  Payed in full.

i am worried some of the developers are gonna hassle me about activations.i can't afford to buy the product all over again.

If you show enthusiasm, just be clear you're just some geek that is fanatically reinstalling because you want the best performance, they're more likely to appreciate it than give you a hard time, unless they're jerks.  Try connecting with them, now all programmers are jerks.

There are optimizations in Windows 10 that ma or may not improve Prepar3D performance but that would be just OS level.

Except that DX12 is really an OS kernel level improvement hiding as a graphics subsystem improvement via marketing.  It's actually really a good thing, it ends one of the main heckling points MS fans like me have had to endure since the earliest days of linux.

Except that DX12 is really an OS kernel level improvement hiding as a graphics subsystem improvement via marketing. It's actually really a good thing, it ends one of the main heckling points MS fans like me have had to endure since the earliest days of linux.

I'm probably totally off on this, but doesn't Linux use OpenGL primarily? Even linux guys heckled us MS users, there still seemed to be some work that needed to be done. Vulkan looks to be the counterpart to MS's leap to DX12. Cool to see all of this.

At a glance DX12 looks great for AutoGen. I know there is a lot more that it would help.

I'm probably totally off on this, but doesn't Linux use OpenGL primarily?

Yep and considering that iOS, Android and Apple OS X are all UNIX/Linux derivatives, they all use OGL.

One major issue I have with Apple is that their latest OSX (Yosemite) once again is WAY behind on OpenGL support, they're still on 4.1 (released July 2010).  OpenGL 4.5 was released August 11 2014.  It doesn't look like Apple are on board with Vulkan graphics API because it has ZERO backwards compatibility.

Vulkan is targeting DX12 in terms of similar performance and feature support.

But agree DX12 and P3D would be nice, flight sims are well suited to the DX12 API.

Cheers, Rob.