Sign in to follow this  
MaLaFSX

FSX ATC Window readout by Software

Hi,

I already tried all searches, but did not find any information on how to read out the text of the ATC window. I use FSX with the SimConnect library, but cannot find any way to access this ATC window text by software.

Does anyone have an idea on this ?

Manfred

I already tried all searches, but did not find any information on how to read out the text of the ATC window. I use FSX with the SimConnect library, but cannot find any way to access this ATC window text by software.

That's something I tried to find for ages, and gave up. I'm sure there must be a way, but maybe I'm getting too old now and my hacking abilities have waned too far ...

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Hi,

Manfred

You won't get it via Simconnect.

We have actually managed it, therefore possible.

We had to do it, because otherwise interacting with built-in ATC would be akin to throwing darts (keyboard presses) and hoping for the best.

Not so, when you know what's going on in the ATC window.

If you want to check it out, download this free Demo

http://www.multicrewxp.com/Downloads.html

Because the high quality recorded human co-pilot voice packs cannot utter unexpected text, you will need to temporarily switch FO voice to a TTS one.

Then ask any time "confirm ATC options" or "what about ATC options" and they should be read out aloud to you.

Unfortunately, I can't disclose how it's done for reasons you will surely understand.

You can save yourself time by discounting the offsets option. You can search the entire FSX.exe virtual address space, you won't find them.

At the very least, you will need a module dll working inside the FSX process.

You will also need a lot of perseverance and a bit of luck.

And as Pete stated above, we almost gave up too. It happened between 2004 and 2009 when developing our MCE software before it entered the market.

We didn't have the pressure of the support forum and commitment to endlessly improve the software then.

I'm not sure we'd have the same appetite to do it these days. It's not something you set out to do and decide it must be done before D day.

For instance, we also wanted to detect when other traffic is transmitting. And that bit remained elusive to this day.

So, good luck

Hi Gerald,

many thanks for your detailed info on this issue. Indeed, your hints on applying the MS Speech utilities sound very interesting, but I do not intend to work for years on this problem (as you) and I am also not in favour to screen the FSX.exe source code for links to specific DLLs.

Before I install your Demo SW package (already downloaded) I would like to know the following:

- does this SW package allow me to read out the ATC window text to further evaluated in my own SW, e.g. in a C string to be further processed ?

- if yes, which SW package do I need: MCE Ultimate Edition, Multi Crew X-Plane or MCE Lite Edition ?

I would be happy to receive your answer.

Manfred

Hi Gerald,

many thanks for your detailed info on this issue. Indeed, your hints on applying the MS Speech utilities sound very interesting, but I do not intend to work for years on this problem (as you) and I am also not in favour to screen the FSX.exe source code for links to specific DLLs.

Before I install your Demo SW package (already downloaded) I would like to know the following:

- does this SW package allow me to read out the ATC window text to further evaluated in my own SW, e.g. in a C string to be further processed ?

- if yes, which SW package do I need: MCE Ultimate Edition, Multi Crew X-Plane or MCE Lite Edition ?

I would be happy to receive your answer.

Manfred

You're welcome.

I invited you to download the Demo mainly to convince you that MCE can retrieve the ATC options dynamically.

Right now, you cannot read the C string yourself. It is only spoken when you ask co-pilot "confirm ATC options".

What do you intend to use it for? commercial project??

Many thank for your quick response !!

No, it's a private project and I need the ATC string(s) to be displayed into a separate TFT display, where i finally can selected the suggested options, either by voice or key press. I already implemented the complete avioncs system (COM/NAV-1/2, ADF, DME, Transponder, Autopilot, Voice) as physical devices, which are build up by several micro-controllers and associated gauges, continuously communicating with FSX. The other devices are already under way (HSI, Altimeter, etc.) and will complete the "Six-Pack". The entire system will be installed in a 6-DOF platform for pilot and co-pilot, which is straight forward to build.

The only mess is the ATC window. Why has Bill not supplied a simple user interface to this foolish window ???

If you can supply a DLL to access this ATC window, I will of course pay for this !!

Waiting for your post.

The only mess is the ATC window. Why has Bill not supplied a simple user interface to this foolish window ???

If you can supply a DLL to access this ATC window, I will of course pay for this !!

Waiting for your post.

OK, since it’s not a commercial project, we are more than happy to help.

Before going into the onerous custom dll option, let me tell you about something.

There are rare occasions where FSX ATC doesn’t reveal ATC options until its Window is refreshed.

Our MCE add-on takes care of that by automatically opening and closing the window at key moments.

There is even an option to “auto-hide” the ATC window. It would appear only when you press PTT switch or to make sure it updates its content.

If your goal is to get rid of the keyboard in your simpit while retaining the ability to communicate with FSX ATC, and are eager to use voice control, look no further than the capability offered by the Ultimate Edition.

Aside from the main complex aircraft multi crew capability offered (which may not be of interest to you), there is a built-in tool called “Voxkey” which allows you to control any of your add-ons that responds to keyboard combinations.

You create your custom voice command and tie it to a particular keyboard combo. Speak the command and it will be sent to the sim.

You can even control the FSX user interface via voice. That was designed with Simpit users in mind.

And if you later find FSX ATC wanting, you can always move to Radar Contact ATC or PFE ATC, knowing they are both supported by MCE.

Here is a video showing interaction with FSX (or P3D) ATC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOXKStXq3VU

Because co-pilot can see the next frequency to tune, you could tell him "Tune Frankfurt tower on com1"  or "going to Brindisi control" and he would know which one to dial

If I misunderstood your plan, then please elaborate further.

Hello Pete,

happy to hear from you, that this project is still on your "ToDo" list, and don't give up, it's never too late !!

Obviously, there are solutions, but not as open source code.

Many thanks for your answer.

Manfred

Hi Gerald,

as read from your post, I am not convinced, that your solution is that what I am looking for,

I only need the ATC window text repeatedly updated in a C++ string, not more and not less.

While completing my FS, I wil surely come back to your product to improve the FS.

Many thanks for your support

Manfred

Hi Gerald,

as read from your post, I am not convinced, that your solution is that what I am looking for,

I only need the ATC window text repeatedly updated in a C++ string, not more and not less.

While completing my FS, I wil surely come back to your product to improve the FS.

Many thanks for your support

Manfred

You mentioned earlier, your app running and displaying ATC info on a separate TFT...

I assume un-docking and dragging the ATC window to another monitor isn't an option for you.

Or is it because you don't want to see the ATC window in rendering screen at all?

Will your app be Native C++ or using Dot Net framework?

MCE is native C++ app. And so is fsInsider.dll running in the sim.