Sign in to follow this  
moss1

I got the GXT980ti, but need info as I'm a bit disappointed..might be my setup?

Hi everyone,

So I was ready to purchase the Titan X SC 12gig card today, and the store actually had the EVGA980ti in stock.. I grabbed it.

To be honest, It's not blowing me away as I thought it would. I installed that latest WHQL driver... 353.06..

With my GTX670 4 gig card in X-plane 10 at KLGA from derwizecki I was lucky to get 17-20fps using add on products( the B1900 from Carenado) With the new card, not much better unless I checked Threaded optimization in the global setup, then I get 25-27fps. Otherwise all my settings are as exact as before with my GTX670. I am running Windows7, 16gigs ram, 800 watt power supply at 4.4ghz, standard  bios overclock.  Shouldn't I be seeing much better here? Yes, an improvement, but with all of the hype this card brings, I am thinking the driver is the issue?? I did a thourough uninstall of the old card and drivers, then set everything up as before. Any advise would be great. Richard Sennett hopefully sees this post as he seems to have a grasp on the new technology. Thanks in advance guys. :-) Brain is a bit tired today, so sorry for rambling on.

Best, Jeff

I can't tell you much about the GTX980Ti but having replaced your old card you should check your system for stability - the OC effects the balance of the whole system.

Anyway:

Q1) Are you using Nvidia Inspector? (If so did you set up your profiles again?)

Q2) Have you tried re-building the FSX cfg file?

Regards, Django EGLL.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

5-10 fps gain from merely a gpu upgrade isn't too bad. For the last 20 years however, CPU has always been king of the real fps gains...almost all sim type games have always been more cpu dependent than gpu. It's a big reason why I rather put my big money into the cpu and I never spend more than $250-$300 on just a video card...it never pays...took me a long time to fork out the bucks just to get a 770GTX, and that was only because I was able to get a great deal on it (around $265 about a year ago). Upgraded from a 560Ti and like yourself saw a marginal gain in fps.

Hi everyone,

Hi Jeff  - you have me a bit stumped in the fact I do not use x-plane and know nothing about it and what makes it tick - problem may be in x-plane - you are using an excellent driver - that is not the problem and I agree with you it should be much better so thinking you need to do some investigation on the sim itself - if it was P3D I could go off a bit more and buying a titan x will not be the magic bullet - would be a bit better but both cards would show this unacceptable frame rate - you do not have P3D I take it to compare ? Your fps should have been much better with your older card leads me to think you have an issue somewhere but not with your GPU'S as they both are not achieving normal results - stupid question but you have shut down onboard video in your bios - you will have to do some searching on x-plane forums for this problem - you cant be the only one - again the one factor that is consistent is the low fps on both cards which tells me its not them and definitely not you driver  - something is a miss how old is your OS install - did you have low fps when you first loaded x-plane - make sure you have solid sound drivers istalled for your sound card - now this is rambling Jeff lol

Rich Sennett

Jeff - that appears to be a 40% improvement. From what I understand about X-Plane, it's far more GPU-driven than FSX/P3D so, even that being said, your results seem good.

Comparing a x70 series against an x80 (Ti) series, a 40% increase seems about what I'd expect. If all else fails--and you don't mind swapping cards again--load up a 3DMark benchmark and report back...

Those are normal fps in X-Plane yikes - no thanks 

Rich Sennett

His frame rates seem perfectly normal at 25-27, taking into consideration his location in the sim being an addon for LaGuardia, the plane used, and if we also assume his in-game settings are not too conservative. He's probably also using the HD mesh addon which has alot to do with it as well.

Nobody's going to double their fps simply by swapping out their video card, unless there was something seriously wrong with the hardware or driver installation previous to the upgrade. His 40-50 percent gain seems about right.

btw - just as a side-note...25-27 fps in xplane probably feels like at least 40-50 in fsx. It's a much more fluid experience generally speaking so you really cannot compare the two.

40% gain just for plugging in a GPU sounds like a winner to me. Now you only need to OC your CPU to 5.0ghz and then you will have the ultimate Sim machine

ZORAN

Thanks guys for all of your input. I will reinvestigate a few things in the bios etc... I didn't have much time yesterday after I got the card up and running. I'm sure I missed something.

I really appreciate the time everyone has taken here. I'll report any findings back here if I stumble upon anything. Thanks again as always :-)

Best, Jeff

Thanks guys for all of your input. I will reinvestigate a few things in the bios etc... I didn't have much time yesterday after I got the card up and running. I'm sure I missed something.

I really appreciate the time everyone has taken here. I'll report any findings back here if I stumble upon anything. Thanks again as always :-)

Best, Jeff

Good luck Jeff - you will figure it out 

Rich Sennett

Hi everyone,

Update: I'm still looking to improve things. I think that my older GTX670 4gig card was smoother. I had 337.88 drivers for that which I hear will not work with the GXT980ti or Titans.

I am beginning to think that it is the current driver installed for this  980ti card, which is the latest WHQL driver... 353.06. 

Is there an older driver or any other driver recommendation that will work with this card that may be better and more stable in Xplane, which now crashes with the Jar Designs A330 frequently. FSX is stable, but not the best FPS and smoothness in the world. Thanks again for your assistance guys :-)

Best, Jeff