Sign in to follow this  
PatrickM

How to reset ET on digital clock?

Hi, I tried to find something in the FCOM Vol. 2, here on AVSIM and on some other websites, but didn't find anything about "how to reset the ET on the digital clock"?

Patrick,

it is the rotary knob to the lower left of the clock. Rotate the knob to the down position. That resets ET on the 777 clock. Not from the FCOM but experience. Hope I'm right.

Xander

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

it is the rotary knob to the lower left of the clock.

I believe that is for the analog clock. The OP is asking about the digital clock.

Hi, I tried to find something in the FCOM Vol. 2, here on AVSIM and on some other websites, but didn't find anything about "how to reset the ET on the digital clock"?

See page 82 of the Introduction Manual. That's a basic description of what can be done. There are several threads or posts on the 777 Forum that goes into more detail. You will need to use the search feature to find it.

I haven't found something in the introduction manual and I also did a search here on AVSIM but nothing.. :-(

I haven't found something in the introduction manual and I also did a search here on AVSIM but nothing.. :-(

I am sorry but I was using a pre SP1 Introduction Manual. It's the second item on page 85 of the current manual. Do you know how to search an Avsim Forum because the 12 threads are listed on Search Results?

I am sorry but I was using a pre SP1 Introduction Manual. It's the second item on page 85 of the current manual. Do you know how to search an Avsim Forum because the 12 threads are listed on Search Results?

Page 85 says: "DISPLAYS Option Pages"

And yes I'm able to search here on the forum. For example this is the situation I have now: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/404152-pfd-clock/

But the thread doesn't say how to reset the ET - which is my question.

Page 85 says: "DISPLAYS Option Pages"

And yes I'm able to search here on the forum. For example this is the situation I have now: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/404152-pfd-clock/

But the thread doesn't say how to reset the ET - which is my question.

From page 85 of the SP1D manual dated 20Jan15.

CLOCK TYPE: This option configures the airplane with either the original analog style chronometers installed beside the PFDs or with the newer digital type that is integrated into the PFD and ND. When using the digital type, the analog chronometers are absent from the panel and the clock and PMDG Auto Cruise functions are controlled by left and right clicking the CLOCK buttons on the glareshield wings. NEW IN SP1 

Search for keyword "digital clock" - In the upper right corner of the forum page you will see a box with Search in it - left click in the box, Search will disappear - type your keyword/keywords enclose by the quote sign - to the right you will see a gray box with Google in it - left click on that box - a dropdown selection will appear - put the bullet in This Forum - click the symbol in the green box. Your search results will appear in several seconds. If you can't find it you better start using the analog clock because its controls are explained in the FCOMs.

Yes, I know how to use the search function here and in the PDF!

But how do I reset the elapsed time in the digital clock?? There is no run/hold/reset button like we have in the analog clock...

Yes, I know how to use the search function here and in the PDF!

But how do I reset the elapsed time in the digital clock?? There is no run/hold/reset button like we have in the analog clock...

Looks like those above didnt understand your question! (not your fault). 

To answer your question and straight from the FCOM:

Elapsed time/chronograph are displayed in the lower left corner of the display. The chronograph is displayed when selected via the clock switch in place of the elapsed time readout. Elapsed time begins advancing at lift-off and freezes at touchdown. It is reset when both fuel cutoff switches transition from off to on. 

There is no way to re-set the elapsed time with the digital PFD clock. (Not until you shut down both engines and start both again on the next flight).

You can however use the clock switch on the glare-shield, which will start time on a chronograph that will pop-up in place of the elapsed time on the PFD. One push of the clock switch starts the chronograph. The second push, pauses the chronograph, and the third push resets it, and removes the chronograph pop-up from the PFD again.

The reason why the new digital elapsed timer cant be paused or reset in flight, is because it is intended to run only from liftoff to touchdown. On previous B777s fitted with the physical clock, it is SOP at most operators that the pilot flying (PF) would manually set his ET to run just before commencing takeoff roll, and set it to hold right after vacating the runway. This being the flight time. The Pilot Not Flying (PNF) would set his ET to run upon commencing pushback and set it to hold upon arriving at the gate, this representing block time. 

The times off the clocks are only for reference to the pilots during/after the flight.

The official block and flight times will come off the events recorded automatically by the aircraft, which on Boeing aircraft are called: OUT, OFF, ON, IN.

These can be found in the ACARS and ACMS menus. (you cannot see these on the PMDG 777, but you can via the ACARS menu on the 744). 

The automatic triggers that record time are as follows:

Out: First brake release after all doors closed

Off: Takeoff (ground sensing)

On: Landing (ground sensing)

In: Final parking brake set prior to first door opened.

Hope that answers your questions and gives you some insight!

• Upvote 1