Sign in to follow this  
Guest JustanotherPilot

Help for Noob to X-plane

Guest JustanotherPilot

Recently I purchased X-plane 10 Global on sale. I have been flying FSX and P3D since day one of their respective releases, but lately have become frustrated by FSX not being about to utilize the power of my high end system and P3D because of their continual upgrades that require a complete new install . With my addons, this is a 10 hour job.  I did have x-Plane 9 from it's first release but was frustrated by it's user interface and lack of any 3rd party addons.

Over the years through forums such as these I have watched the X-plane community grow and the quality and availability of addons increase dramatically, to a point where I would like to develop my X-plane usage with the goal of eventually  phasing out FSX and limiting P3D time in preference to X-Plane.

Now that the preamble is over I'll get to the point of this post. Where is the best place to go for Noobs like me to start the journey into the X-plane Sim. I have watched numerous videos, downloaded gigabytes of addons and scenery( free and paid) but am still having trouble with the interface and file structure/location for X-Plane. X-plane 10 has greatly improved over 9 for it's layout but for someone raised on FSX seems to be well short on user friendliness to be able to quickly get up and fly.

Yes,I have read the x-Plane 10 manual.

Thanks in advance,

steve

Hi Steve, and welcome to the dark-side :smile:

If you have any questions then I'm sure the community here will be happy to help out. Just keep at it, it has a steeper learning curve, but the effort you put in will be worth it.

Actually, I have a copy of 7, 9, and 10 and it was 10 that, in it's first release, made me determined to get through the interface as it seemed not to have changed a lot from the previous versions and that had been one my major reasons for putting them on the shelf. That, and the fact that the scenery was almost unrecognizable even in your local area.  The upgrades have greatly changed the scenery files and the free HD mesh scenery by alpilox has blown FSX out of the water.  In the buttons area, just remember to push the button you want to program and then click beside what you want it to do.  The advanced button area really gets into detail and offers far more versatility over FSX or P3D.   It is just almost overwhelming as to its options - so many options - so few buttons!

As tonywob has said, just ask and someone here will answer your question and do so in a way that does not demean.  (That is not true in all forums)

Welcome to a great community.

John

John Wingold

i myself go back and forth between x-plane 10 and p3d,x-plane for one when you get frustrated just walk away from it for a bit,i still spend most of my time in p3d, but would rather be a full time x-planer myself.its the lack of sli support and addons on why i haven't changed completely.i can't fly without my pmdg and airbus's permanently.if its performance issues you are having just ask we are all here to help..

i myself go back and forth between x-plane 10 and p3d,x-plane for one when you get frustrated just walk away from it for a bit

This is a great approach and something I do myself (I will actually completely step away from simming for a few weeks). If the sim starts to become frustrating (or it's crashing all the time), step away, do something else and come back with a fresh mind. After all, we use sims to relax and as a hobby, if it's causing frustration then something is definitely wrong :-)

Again, we are all happy to help here, do what you can, read the manuals, experiment and ask questions.