Sign in to follow this  
vesalius

Bienvenue dans le Sud de la France! (+15 pics)

I'd like to take you with me on my descend towards Perpignan, France, during dusk of the longest day of the year.

The flight departed from Brussels, Belgium and has a flight time of approx 1h15 minutes.

Please click on the images to see them in full resolution.

The setting sun in the nortwest from the copilot seat, just after we started our descend from FL350.

1.jpg

If you look very closely, you can see the Pyrenees make their appearance at the horizon.

The Pyrenees stretch all the way from the Mediterranean Sea to the Atlantic Ocean and form a natural border between France and Spain.

2.jpg

In front and below we observe the region Languedoc-Roussilon, well known for its excellent wines :-)

3.jpg

4.jpg

We're closing in on our destination, only 35nm to go to Perpignan and still at FL200. The runway in use is 33 and the SIJAN STAR will force us into a left turn towards the sea so we will approach LFMP from over water. This gives us time to slow down and desced further to 3000ft.

5.jpg

In the meantime, let's enjoy the sunset...

6.jpg

7.jpg

Perpignan lies dead ahead behind the "lakes" that you can see. The first one is Etang de Bages et de Sigean (near Narbonne) followed by "Etang de Leucate ou de Salses". This last one is very famous for its oyster farms. This part of the region is called " la Plaine du Roussillon".

8.jpg

Time to work... we're continuing our descend and cockpit preparations were needed. This didn't allow me to take screenshots untill we were established on final approach.

Runway 33 not only means we are coming in from over the sea but also over the city. I invite you to experience the final approach with me...

9.jpg

Continue...

10.jpg

Retard, 5...

11.jpg

Rollout and vacate to the left...

12.jpg

Long taxi back...

13.jpg

They've been sitting around for quite some time here...

14.jpg

We've just turned onto the apron, we got Stand 2 assigned...

15.jpg

The sun has set over southern France, Perpignan-Rivesaltes and it's still 26 degrees out here. Time for a freshh glass of rosé wine! :) Merci beacoup, bonne nuit!

16.jpg

Thanks for watching!

17.jpg

Regards,

Vital Vanbeginne

Great flight and its nice to see Sabena alive again  :wink:  :wink:

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080