Sign in to follow this  
Galoot

Triple monitor setup using Nvidia Surround and three monitors

Hey All, 

I've recently purchased an Nvidia GTX 970 and also got hold of a third monitor in the hope that I could use a monitor either side to have those really cool wide views I have seen.

So I have Nvidia Surround setup and Prepar3D seems to display on all three monitors... however the view on the two side screens is horribly stretched making it a bit pointless to use. I've Googled this and searched forums for the past week but I've been unable to find a fix for this.

Is anyone else using 3 monitors that could help me get this working please? 

Eternally grateful if you could help!

Cheers

Tim

Unfortunately that is the way FSX, FSX-E and P3D display the outside world over 3 monitors.

If yo use low settings you might try using 3 seperate views that connect .

But it will cost you fps...

Or try Denali's Distortion Fix ( use search ) .

This fixes the distortion but it will give some grainyness and makes the view less sharp.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Or you can just use a window view and stretch the window to fit. I use a Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital and this works fine and without hassle for me.

I've recently purchased an Nvidia GTX 970 and also got hold of a third monitor in the hope that I could use a monitor either side to have those really cool wide views I have seen.

So I have Nvidia Surround setup and Prepar3D seems to display on all three monitors... however the view on the two side screens is horribly stretched making it a bit pointless to use. I've Googled this and searched forums for the past week but I've been unable to find a fix for this.  Is anyone else using 3 monitors that could help me get this working please?

As noted previously, LM hasn't seen fit to provide the capability to use Nvidia surround with P3D, unfortunately.  So if you try, you'll get the stretched view you got, and it won't work.

The workaround I'm using is the windowed approach.  I have 3 Acer ZXB280HK monitors, each connected to one of the 3 display ports on my GTX 980 ti card.  FPS aren't stellar, but generally smooth and flyable using photorealistic scenery and sliders set high.  You can just set up 2 additional views, one looking out each side of the cockpit, and move them to the side monitors.  Windowed or full screen work. 

If you try this, you'll have to play around with view angle and zoom for the side views, to get them to look as realistic as possible.  There's no way I've found to get them to both align perfectly with the top of the panel in the middle screen, and I've found that adjusting the vertical alignment works best once the airplane is flying, as opposed to trying to get it right on the ground.  It's different each way, and I like it right when I'm flying.  All this applies only to the Mooney I fly; I don't fool around with any of the rest of the airplanes, normally.  I'm a real pilot, and GA singles are what I'm familiar with.

It's just a kludge, not a solution, but it's better than nothing, and once I'm up and flying, the visual effect is pretty acceptable - the side views are only in one's peripheral vision anyway.

sm3screens_zpscqpyu3cy.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone I'll try Denali's Distortion Fix initially as it sounds like it might be exactly what I want (I'm not too bothered about a little added grain).

Cheers again!

Hey All, 

So I have Nvidia Surround setup and Prepar3D seems to display on all three monitors... however the view on the two side screens is horribly stretched making it a bit pointless to use. I've Googled this and searched forums for the past week but I've been unable to find a fix for this.

Is anyone else using 3 monitors that could help me get this working please? 

Eternally grateful if you could help!

Cheers

Tim

Tim,

I have triple 24 IN WS monitors with a 970 and it works great. What you need is a free (limited) triple monitor setup program. Get it here along with some great 5760 x 1200 desktop images. I also use P3Dv2.5.

It takes both the nVidia setup and DisplayFusion to get it setup the way you want.

Here is a greatly reduced image of what I am using now for the 3 screen desktop.

Regards,

Ray

https://www.displayfusion.com/Compare/?FromApp=1&Version=7.1.0.0

Estany_de_Sant_Maurici-5760xLear60XR_reduced to 1024.jpg

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Ray - thanks for that info that's encouraging that you have it working.

Did you use Nvidia Surround 'and' DisplayFusion together? Is it tricky to setup, any thing specific I need to do other than activate NVidia Surround and install DisplayFusion?

Ray - thanks for that info that's encouraging that you have it working.

Did you use Nvidia Surround 'and' DisplayFusion together? Is it tricky to setup, any thing specific I need to do other than activate NVidia Surround and install DisplayFusion?

Actually, I just watched as the builder(Xidax)of my PC Tech Support guy did it using the remote setup from their home office. I seem to remember, he named each of the three monitors, then setup the frames and then just spread the P3D image across the three monitors. It only took a few minutes. I am using 5720 x 1200. I also use Ezdok and that might have some effect on the image view. The buildings in the side view are generally correct and not stretched looking or distorted. The right monitor seems a little stretched when in the VC but it is probably just the eyepoint that is set for that addon.

I really like the additional controls the Display Fusion gives you for viewing each of the 3 monitors and moving images between them and having toolbars available where you want them, etc. This adds an icon at the top right window that that one click will move that screen to the monitor on the right. Very handy to keeping additional popup windows on the screens when flying.

Regards,

Ray

I find turning OFF widescreen view in the CFG file and moving the eyepoint back (ctrl-enter) gives me the best result. Not perfect, not really good, just least bad.

Denali's fix just looked too complicated...but I might look at it again if you succeed with it :)

And displayfusion looks interesting...

Cheers

Keith

I have triple 24 IN WS monitors with a 970 and it works great. What you need is a free (limited) triple monitor setup program. Get it here along with some great 5760 x 1200 desktop images. I also use P3Dv2.5.  It takes both the nVidia setup and DisplayFusion to get it setup the way you want.  Here is a greatly reduced image of what I am using now for the 3 screen desktop.

Your image appears to be continuous from one side to the other.  How do you remove the monitor bezels between each screen? 

Bezels aren't that objectionable to me, since even in a real airplane cockpit, the view outside is obstructed by things like the structure on each side of the windshield

When configuring the Surround mode in the Nvidia Control panel, it allows you to enter a sort of "offset" value to take into account your monitor's bezels. It will add a custom resolution (i.e. 5920 x 1080) that you will be able to select in P3D.

Your image appears to be continuous from one side to the other.  How do you remove the monitor bezels between each screen? 

Bezels aren't that objectionable to me, since even in a real airplane cockpit, the view outside is obstructed by things like the structure on each side of the windshield

No bezel breaks. One image 5760 x 1200. I have a template for 3 individual screens - 1920 x 1200 that I use sometimes for desktop images when I don't have a full width image to use. Use NVidia to fine tune your bezel cutouts. Neat diagonal lines to align to get it close but not perfect.

Regards,

Ray

True that it is stretched on the sides Galoot, but when you use TrackIr5 and turn your head to look at your wings, it's all good.

I have a triple 27 inch monitors setup and and use them in portrait mode. No stretch at all and more accurate FOV. I'm only going to change that setup for a large 40+inch 4K monitor with display port input. There are very few and still very expensive.

I have a triple 27 inch monitors setup and and use them in portrait mode

Interesting - could you post a screen shot of your view?

Eugene