Sign in to follow this  
riccardo74

Dash 8 and TOPCAT V speed calculation?

Hi guys,

I'm testing some flightplanning with PFPX for Majestic Dash 8 Q400. The problem begin when I want to send data to TOPCAT, there is no template at all.

Any idea on how to work around this issue or have you got a TOPCAT template for this great aircraft?

Without TOPCAT I have to use manual tables to calculate V speeds.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

Thanks Jamie, but why TOPCAT or PFPX hasn't updated its aircraft database? It's a shame!

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

But there is a PFPX template.  Quick look at my aircraft templates, I've got a Bombardier Dash-8 Q402 one.  I don't remember if it was included or got it from the Aerosoft forums, but it's out there.  Let me know if you can't find it and I'll send you a copy of mine.

I know your question is how to have these in Topcat, but if you don't mind me asking, don't you think you should be using the manual tables to calculate your V speeds anyway? I mean you have a one page sheet, you know how much you weigh, so does it really matter what Topcat would say anyway?

I know your question is how to have these in Topcat, but if you don't mind me asking, don't you think you should be using the manual tables to calculate your V speeds anyway? I mean you have a one page sheet, you know how much you weigh, so does it really matter what Topcat would say anyway?

I perfectly know it, but I payed for TOPCAT and like to use it, more convenient and quick.

@Jemie: On PFPX "topcat performace module" I haven't it, could you send me a copy? it's very kind of you!

Riccardo

I perfectly know it, but I payed for TOPCAT and like to use it, more convenient and quick.

@Jemie: On PFPX "topcat performace module" I haven't it, could you send me a copy? it's very kind of you!

Erm, I think there might be a misundertanding. PFPX and TOPCAT profiles are fundamentally different things, the PFPX one gives you the fuel rates, speeds etc to use in PFPX for flight planning.  This exists and I'm happy to provide the file if you need it.  The TOPCAT performance data is separate and for the Dash-8 doesn't exist, so there is nothing I (or anyone) am going to be able to provide that will give you the ability to use TOPCAT for V-speed calculations for the Dash-8.

Offer still stands, if you are actually struggling to use it in PFPX (but not TOPCAT).

Talking of Aurasim, I just wish they'd ramp up the app a bit and add more features. Up until recently I was using it for every Q400 flight. Then I started to just use the pdf tables that come with the Q400 and figured out that the tables were bang on the money without all the faffing about logging into aurasim etc. etc. I paid the $5 because I want to see them continue with it but they really need to pull their finger out.

Most recently, I'm using an FSUIPC script that someone released on the Majestic forums which calculates all V-Speeds automatically at the touch of a button. If you want to see it in action have a look at this video (https://youtu.be/YT4AkCwND4c?t=15m9s - link starts as the script is introduced)

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

but I payed for TOPCAT and like to use it, more convenient and quick.

Could not agree more. I've also paid for it and find it lacking in so many aircraft templates and no way to update it or get any updates from Topcat.

@Jamie: there was a misunderstanding, I own the Q402 on PFPX. I'd need it for TOPCAT, but there isn't.

@Neil: much appreciated, very usefull.

Riccardo

Had to chime in here, as I bought PFPX (excellent, BTW), and the company touted TOPCAT as an almost absolute necessity to go with it. Since both programs cost just a little more than a couple of bucks, I was hesitant but picked up TOPCAT. As soon as I installed it, I found it to be painfully lacking in A/C data. They have a nice list but for instance, it was missing data for most of the PMDG fleet (remember, each A/C in, say, the 737NGX has different characteristics), and there was no PMDG 777 at all. When I queried about this, I was told that the programmers don't have the time to do all of the A/C, and it takes a lot of input for every model.

Now I even suggested that users be able to input their own data (I wouldn't mind looking up all of the performance data for the 777), but that is out of the question. They finally added one 777 model, which I guess you can use for every model, but then the performance info will always be off, something TOPCAT is supposed to prevent. You can ask them over at the TOPCAT forum to provide the data for your Majestic A/C, and they might get around to it eventually. I think that Christian is the only one over there doing the programming, and he claims it takes time to do each plane.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Could not agree any more with you, Gary. I find it so frustrating that  it is so lacking in the various aircraft models that abound for FSX/P3D/XPX. After all it is piece of software related to flight simming not the real world. And it rarely gets updated, the aircraft database, I mean. I have stopped using it. On the other hand, PFPX is excellent.

I like TopCat, and I use it with the PMDG 737NGX and the one 777 model they supply. It interfaces nicely with PFPX, and for the purist out there, who wants to know exactly how the engines will perform on a certain runway at a certain temperature at a certain altitude, it's slick. But for most of us, it's sometimes overkill. If new aircraft were constantly being supported, it would be nice. But I don't use it much.

It's like LINDA (if you have the $$ version of FSUIPC) - that thing works really good...if your aircraft has a module created for it. There are those out there who create them, but it isn't for the faint-hearted. And us non-experts can't "roll your own."  I tried for several weeks to make my Carenado C208 work with it, to no avail. And with LINDA, you can't go 50/50. You use FSUIPC for your controls, or you use LINDA. I gave up and went back to FSUIPC.

Ya live and ya learn. Hopefully, Christian will ramp up his aircraft list in the future, or let others know how to do it. I wouldn't mind entering the required data for my A/C if I knew the formula.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I have been watching videos and reading real-world material on the Q400 and pilots/fo's use the supplied charts the same as those as MJCs for V1, VR, V2, VFRI and VCLIMB values inputting them as directed in the manual. Also use the MJCQ400 cpan to get the other values you need for programming the FMC.  I like TOPCAT too and maybe "someday" Christian and his partner will add templates for the Q400. Hint Hint!!

Old thread.... but to be honest I find that whatever the weight and conditions, the landing speeds are pretty much ALWAYS the same - around 120 plus or minus 5 knots.

I have Aurasim but just don't bother with it.

Land at 120..... it does the job.