Sign in to follow this  
jt_williams

Norway Trilogy Part 1 – Fun in Finnmark

Norway Trilogy Part 1 – Fun in Finnmark

The tour starts at Banak Peninsular in Porsanger, taking in 10 waypoints and 4
airfields (ENNA- ENHF - ENHK - ENAT – ENSR), finishing at Sorkjosen. approximately 210 nm. 

Recommended scenery:

Orbx Norway

Flight plans:

Sky Vector Plan

FSX Flight Plan & Route Narrative

Aircraft:  Wideroe operated DHC-6 Twin Otters into all of the airports and that would be a fine choice.  The new A2A Comanche will be my aircraft for this tour.  Choose something you like to fly.

Comanche%2B91P.jpg

Date and time: Saturday 27th June, 1800 UTC

Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel

Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com

Multiplayer: FSX Multiplayer (IP will be provided on Teamspeak)

Don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer speadsheet! (linked here)

Note to Ron Attwood: Set Time to 22:20 Local Time (21:20 GMT)

Posted on behalf of Roger Brooke

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Posted on behalf of Roger Brooke

Is that the same Roger Brooke of Mokka fame? :smile:

My steed for the weekend:

bahj3.jpg

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

OOOOOOH!!!!  That looks very good.  Very nice job.  I am envious.

It seems to be out in the desert somewhere.  Looks like you have some long ferry flights to get it to the North Cape by Saturday. :smile: 

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

That beautiful paint is associated with Lotus and Jim Clark? Wow, what a hero from our childhood. Perhaps the best driver of all time.

With no Norwegian Comanches available, I shall have to borrow one from an old friend at Rotterdam (cough, cough).

Comanche_PH-EDH_Hammerfest.jpg

This characterful paint is by Jankees Blom (the original is at OZx). I have modified the textures by changing the fuselage/wing registration numbers from Black to a nicely faded Red paint. This new texture matches the original paint on the actual aircraft. You can download the modified PH-EDH paint here.

The current Dutch owner has repainted PH-EDH to blue. But we can enjoy the lovely historic paint when we fly over Norway.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Jim Clark, as far as I'm concerned he was and still is, the greatest! Also a gentleman. Senna could have learned a lot from him.

Jankees caught out on non authenticity? Whatever next? I had to pull him up over the Australian paint VH-EFF. He missed off a tail counterbalance thingy. No response from him though.

Speaking of rickets, I made one on G-ARYV

You can get the replacement .dds from HERE

Nothing too serious, a pinstripe was missed off the wings and the wing registration was on crooked. :blush:

I don't want to criticize Jankees Blom who has created a truly wonderful and characterful paint for PH-EDH. I'd like to acknowledge and thank Jankees for his artistry. (My alteration is merely a matter of personal taste.)

And agree entirely on Jim Clark!

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

You might be interested in freeware scenery packages for Norway.

The most interesting is Andrew Thomsen's package Airports of Norway (AoN). He has been working on this airport set for a long time and now includes most of the main airports in the country. (Something like 36 in number.) After the release of FTX Norway, he modified the package to fit seamlessly with the Orbx scenery. While the Orbx "Full Fat" regional airports are nice enough (in their own way), Andrew Thomsen's are a much more faithful rendition of the actual buildings and layout. He even adds some detail clutter to make you feel at home.

The sceneries are available here:

Airports of Norway for FTX Norway by Andrew Thomsen

https://onedrive.liv...E64DC8923CA!105

In addition (separately), you can get a package of smaller airfields here:

Norway GA Airfields v290 for FTX Norway by Jan Nordberg (janor).

https://onedrive.liv...20C179DFEC!2532

(You'll need to sign up for a Microsoft account to access these scenery files.)

I would recommend Andrew Thomsen's Airports of Norway. Happily the new "FTX Compatible" sceneries are entirely consistent with FSX despite being updated for P3D. You want to download the package AoN 3.75e P3D_FTXN and all of the AoN Photopacks and Autogen and AFCADS and updates. The photopacks are necessary for the package to work properly. This is a lot of downloading. But the actual installation is not so very difficult.

The separately developed Norway GA Airfields look good, but I have not tried them.

Here is a long discussion at the Orbx forums about both Andrew Thomsen's Airports of Norway (AoN) as well as a Jan Nordberg's similar package of Norway General Aviation airports (NGA).

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/96381-links-to-norway-freeware-sceneries-adapted-to-orbx-norway/?hl=%2Bairports+%2Bof+%2Bnorway#entry874043

Installing the AoN package will take a couple of hours, so it is something for a quiet evening or a rainy day. These are interesting atmospheric freeware airports but not really "payware quality" airports. However, they do capture the unique nature of the different airports' buildings and layouts. (The buildings are custom-made renditions of the actual world. They compare nicely to photographs.) And they do enhance FTX Norway considerably if you want more realistic airports from which to operate.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

On second thought…

The Andrew Thomsen Airports of Norway are really good. But they may not be ideal for our sort of multiplayer events. Several of the airports have different airport elevations than the FTX Norway airports. Our pilots' being at different elevations may diminish the multiplayer experience.

It might be better if we stick with FTX Norway for the Norway events.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Thanks Mike! Was just about to "dive in" for the install. Downloaded all the goodies yesterday and started to read the install instructions to gain familiarity.. :Thinking:   :Silly:  :Praying:  Whew! what a job! Will definitely save it for a different, maybe a bad weather day.. Will mow the lawn instead! LOL! 

Will be flying the SibWings SAAB S91 Safir in Norwegian Airforce Colors... Someone "HAS" to keep the "Comanche Owners Club" Norway flights in check. Be on your best behaviour gents, cuz I'll be watching.  :Peace:

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

First off. Kudos to Roger (He of Mokka fame) for a really nice flight.

A few screens of 'goings on'.

Roger+Nick1.jpg

Roger+Nick.jpg

Roger and Nick sychronised landing...Almost.

nick-air.jpg

Nick as my wingman...Or is it the other way round?

roman.jpg

Roman got the 'Smoothest landing of the Night' award.

It HAS gone to his head! :rolleyes:

most enjoyable flight fellas, thanks for your company.

( I do believe I was the only one to get the water landing right ? or is that a misconception. :o )

regards.

Some shots from the epic flight in Norway.. What a blast!

Is this the right place? Feel like the black sheep of the bunch.

FS%20Screen%2006%2027%202015___131211z.j

Ron at my 3:18 :P
  (actually it's midnight!) Smile for the birdy!

FS%20Screen%2006%2027%202015___132222z.j

The head's on a swivel. In good company.

FS%20Screen%2006%2027%202015___132326z.j

FS%20Screen%2006%2027%202015___132343z.j

Roger seen this and decided to give it a try. In this shot it looks like he was successful. But alas, it was not the case.  :blush:

FS%20Screen%2006%2027%202015___141244z.j

Jeff in the ground effect.

FS%20Screen%2006%2027%202015___143328z.j

And finally touchdown with 4 fellow pilots following.

FS%20Screen%2006%2027%202015___143330z.j

A short stop for ahh,,,,,, "refreshments".  8P
  :drinks: 

FS%20Screen%2006%2027%202015___144239z.j

Maybe the "refreshments" were not needed. Nick and Ron coming over the top on an opposite takeoff while the rest of us were doing an intersection take off leaving 1/2 the runway unused.

FS%20Screen%2006%2027%202015___145447z.j

Ron touching down on runway 11 left. :-) 

FS%20Screen%2006%2027%202015___152123z.j

The meeting of the minds, where we cure the world's problems... And... A 17 year olds first date dilemma - awesome ! We all hope it turns out well! 
:dirol: 

FS%20Screen%2006%2027%202015___153159z.j

Absolutely stunning scenery! All lined up, from left - Jeff, Mike, Roger, Ron, myself, Josh & finally Nick.

FS%20Screen%2006%2027%202015___153233z.j

Awesome flight/flying! Great camaraderie & ummm.. Dating discussions LOL!
Thanks Roger and Jeff!

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Roman, you've been sorely missed! I guess Roger was practicing for his All-Terrain Mokka. Heads up Rog, water is NOT terrain. :lol:

Some beautiful shots, Ron.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM