Sign in to follow this  
DcoltGaming

No vor dme approach option

Hi there,

When flying with the PMDG 737 800, I can't get any vor dme approaches, to airports that I know have them. I am using the latest navigraph airac. I have included a picture to show the issue. At LPMA, I should have a option to fly a vor dme approach, and none of the approaches match up with the approach plate. 

How do I get a vor dme approach?

Regards

DcoltGaming8wquDtO.jpguhT9FNX.jpg

hi, the VDMA and VDMB entries you can see in your screenshots are the vor/dme approaches.

the A and B mean there are 2 versions of each approach, i just glanced at the charts it looks like they have slight variations with one being a setup for a visual approach and the other being circling or something like that. it looks kind of like an interesting one i will have to study it closer and try it out!

cheers

-andy crosby

hi, the VDMA and VDMB entries you can see in your screenshots are the vor/dme approaches.

the A and B mean there are 2 versions of each approach, i just glanced at the charts it looks like they have slight variations with one being a setup for a visual approach and the other being circling or something like that. it looks kind of like an interesting one i will have to study it closer and try it out!

cheers

-andy crosby

Ahhhh..Ok thanks Andy..yer the airport is a bit strange with the landings. I thought it displayed as  VORD, but obviously not. 

Thanks for the help.

DcoltGaming

I thought it displayed as  VORD, but obviously not. 

Interestingly enough, the ARINC 424 standard doesn't get into the naming conventions of the approaches. My assumption, though is that, since there are VORA and VORB approaches (DME not required), the VDMA and VDMB (requiring DME) needed a different convention. You could potentially have a VORA and a VDMA approach to the same field. Makes sense when you think about it, but yeah, not the most intuitive when you're looking for something specifically and not expecting it.

For more information, see here:

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/instrument_procedures_handbook/media/Chapter_6.pdf

Kyle Rodgers

I am trying to fly the approach shown in https://youtu.be/rqDjrFq2rPU?t=10m35s but the waypoints do not match the waypoints in the video, trying both approaches and all transitions.

anyone know how I get this? 

Thanks

(The waypoints match the approach chart for  a vor dme circling approach to runway 5) 

anyone know how I get this? 

Keep in mind that nav data changes 13 times per year, and that video was released in 2012. As such, the procedure has had about 32 chances to be changed. Your best bet is to cross reference proper, up-to-date material. YouTube is great, but it definitely has its drawbacks. This is one of them.

Kyle Rodgers

there's some recently updated charts at http://charts.portugal-vacc.org/#LPMA

he even mentions in the video that FUNOR no longer exists and shows up as ABUSU in the fmc

also he does some cool manually added waypoints for the 6DME turn point and rosario point, presumably those aren't in the FMC data since it's a visual approach at that point and those are just additional references

good luck

cheers

-andy crosby