Sign in to follow this  
ErnstB

Dovetail publicity lets my FSX crash

OP post is right. In Dovetails latest build: None Steam FSX is re-directed to Dovetails server when checking in registry if FSX is activated and then tries to find Steam FSX. If not present on your PC it forces you to download Dovetail FSX. It also prevents FSX.exe to open again in the future as it puts some sort of lock on. Therefore rendering none steam FSX useless. You need to purchase Dovetails FSX in order to fix this issue.

I made that up......

LMAO. Post of the week.

Hi Folks

For all FSX & FSX-SE versions -

FSX always launches

displaying whichever UI menu "TAB"

you'd last accessed in your previous session,

(if FSX performed a clean shut down).

If FSX failed to shut down cleanly

and fsx.cfg is corrupted,

then FSX generates a new fsx.cfg.

A new fsx.cfg

causes the FSX UI menu

to display the "Home" tab.

For this initial access to the "Home" tab,

FSX will display -

- for FSX - the "Getting Started - Start flying now" page, (../fsweb/gettingstarted/gettingstarted.htm)

- for FSX Acceleration - the "What's Changed - New for the Expansion Pack" page, (../fsweb/learningcenter/keyconcepts/whatschanged.htm)

For ALL subsequent accesses to the "Home" tab,

FSX will display -

- if OFFline - "If you were connected..." page, (/Uires/gs01.htm)

- if ONline- "FS Insider" home page, (http://www.fsinsider.com)

P.S.

fsinsider.com

Microsoft still -

- own the fsinsider.com domain.

- provide the authoritative name servers for the fsinsider.com domain.

- host the fsinsider.com domain.

HTH
ATB
Paul

LMAO. Post of the week.

Agreed! ...and "under-ware" was pretty good too :smile:

Since FSX uses an embedded instance of Internet Explorer to view the FSInsider website, it's possible some malicious plug-in for IE might cause popups and such in FSX I suppose.

Obviously Dovetail Games don't go around hacking people's PC's and installing adware. That would be absurd.

This. This. and This.

It's going to be important for FSX-SE people to remember that as IE goes...so goes the splash screen. I did an FSX-SE install on a Vanilla Windows 7 machine a couple of weeks ago and got tons of javascript errors because the ancient version of IE didn't understand the syntax.

MS is going to be getting away from IE...wonder what they'll do next.

Regardless of the 'best answer' at the top of the page, while FSXinsider's site doesn't have malware, if a PC was already infected with malware or became that way it certainly could change the behavior of the start up screen. If IE has been compromised by malware...all bets are off.

Hi All

Thank you for your contributions!

re Pete: Thank you for checking the install log.
re Rick (best answer): Normal behaviour on FSX-MS? Including the subsequent crashes I had never experienced before?
re Fr. Bill: I think I have your proposed configuration, except for the prompt on quit. Now I don't get to this situation/menu since FSX won't start anymore
re Rick Hobbs: Meanwhile I have run Spybot, then Malwarebytes and Kaspersky on C: and E: (FSX) drives: zero findings
re Paul: understand. FSX closed correctly, I am certain.

I will FSX create a new FSX.cfg and will report the results/ findings.

But first I'll leave for a 2 weeks vacation to a great FSX area: Norway!
With my renewed nerves I should resolve this problem faster.

Thanks again and best regards

Ernst

FSX-SE always reverts to the Home screen, regardless of the previous tab you had open, so I always get those blooming ads for that POS rag PC Pilot popping up before I click on the Free Flight tab.

I think I'm going to go back to the disk version to get rid rid of this, unless someone knows how to stop it? I don't want my sim to come with advertising, especially for that dreadful publication, which is clearly in Dovetails pocket, and pushes DLC by its contributors.

re Rick (best answer): Normal behaviour on FSX-MS? Including the subsequent crashes I had never experienced before?

I guess I'm Rick.

The DTG new screen has absolutely nothing to do with your FSX crashes. We'll see you in two weeks!

FSX-SE always reverts to the Home screen, regardless of the previous tab you had open, so I always get those blooming ads for that POS rag PC Pilot popping up before I click on the Free Flight tab.

I think I'm going to go back to the disk version to get rid rid of this, unless someone knows how to stop it? I don't want my sim to come with advertising, especially for that dreadful publication, which is clearly in Dovetails pocket, and pushes DLC by its contributors.

Boot right into a default flight of your choice and you won't have to see anything.

Boot right into a default flight of your choice and you won't have to see anything.

Yes, but, I'm not always sure where I wish to fly when I boot up, so don't want to wait for a default flight to load before I can change things. I often create flights from scratch each time, so loading a default first is a pain, just to avoid some forced advertising.

Then boot into the Plan Flight screen.

I would if I knew how. I don't see an option, or anything in the cfg to change my starting screen :unsure:

FSX.cfg file:

[sTARTUP]

DEMO=0

LoadWindow=1

SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN=1

STARTUP_DEMO=0

Hi Folks

Ooops,

My apologies -

For all FSX & FSX-SE versions -

FSX always launches
displaying whichever UI menu "TAB"
you'd last accessed in your previous session,
(if FSX performed a clean shut down).

The above only applies to FSX versions,

and not to FSX-SE.

FSX-SE always launches to the "Home" page.

Sorry about that.

ATB
Paul

FSX-SE always launches to the "Home" page.

Yeah, it seems Jim's advice did not work, and FSX-SE will always boot into the home page regardless of what you do, apart from loading straight into a flight. I know its a minor thing, but I hate forced adverts, even if its gone in a click.

If you don't want FSX-SE displaying the ads you can always add the following to your Windows "hosts" file:

0.0.0.0 www.fsxworld.com

This fools your computer into thinking the address is unresolvable and you'll get a much more generic startup screen. I have no idea whether or not that tweak would effect multiplayer as I don't use it.