Sign in to follow this  
HF_ATL

PC spec for FSX / FSX Steam Edition

Dear community,

I need to upgrade my desktop PC for a machine capable of running FSX much better.

At the moment, I'm looking for a PC with the following specs:

(memory = 16GB HYPERX 1600MHZ DDR3 CL9 DIMM)

Any comments/suggestion?

Btw, I also look into All-in-One PCs with 23" but I couldn't find one with decent specs to run FSX smoothly?

Intend to use some PMDG aircraft addons and some sceneries. Aim for the better graphic performance as possible without compromising the performance (frame-rates).

Thank you!

I'd wait for Skylake, which is due out in August or so. The i7 4790K is a Haswell refresh (Devil's Canyon), which still uses the base architecture which came out in 2013.

Skylake is a completely new CPU architecture.

I'm in much the same dilemma of whether or not to wait for Skylake versus upgrading my current machine with a DC processor and motherboard. My initial inclination was to wait; however, hearing of recent tests that show Skylake giving only a 4-8% performance boost leaves me wondering whether it's worth it, especially considering that I would expect Skylake processors and motherboards to be relatively expensive immediately after launch, plus the need to replace my DDR3 memory with expensive DDR4 RAM. (I'm hoping that someone who got their hands on a pre-release processor and M/B would be so kind as to "leak" FSXmark results for the new combination…)

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

You're on the right track, Skylake doesn't look like it's going to net any significant performance gains, I've heard anything from what you said to as low as 2-3%, all rumors at this point. I think you're better off investing in some heavy duty water cooling and overclock the **** out of that i7. 

Seems like Skylakes gonna be a big emphasis on the iGPU, maybe a good time to replace my macbook for a light gaming. 

As for the all-in-ones, I would advise against it as a tech enthusiast, those things lock you into the hardware and often is impossible to upgrade. In addition, they mainly use mobile gpus which simply don't have the same horsepower as their desktop equivalents.

I would run your build through reddit.com/r/buildapc just to see if you can save some money on some parts.

Thank you all very much for your inputs.

Really a fantastic forum with much support here. I decided to go ahead and buy that PC because I'll prefer to loose that small improvement in performance regarding the skylark  in order to have the PC ready as soon as possible to fly.

I agree with the drawbacks you said regarding the All-in-one. Moreover they cost almost twice the cost for the same specs and there are very few models out there with really great specs to play FSX smoothly. 

I also have 2 additional monitors bought some years ago which I want to use (so a total of 3) to improve the realism.

Unfortunately I'm from Portugal which means that buying from overseas will cost more money than buying locally... but again thanks for the tips!!