Sign in to follow this  
pcubine

Activation Code Usuage

I have two desktop computers. One is for FSX. The other for IE, Excel, Word, Mail, etc.  Both have FSX installed. I installed the base 777LR/F on the second computer today. It  looks like the final step in this process is entering the Activation Code. My question is this. If I enter the code for this installation will it mess up 777 base on the computer that I use for FSX?  In other words, can the same activation code be used at the same time on both computers?

In other words, can the same activation code be used at the same time on both computers?

As dictated by our EULA, your activation code can be used on up to two personal computers, used by yourself.

Kyle Rodgers

As dictated by our EULA, your activation code can be used on up to two personal computers, used by yourself.

Thanks for the information.

What happens if you have to replace the m/b on one computer and/or do a clean install of Windows, so that you're still only running it on two computers, but one appears to be a completely-different machine than the one on which it was first installed? Is there a way to "de-register" it on one computer so you can put it on its drastically-rebuilt "successor?" (FWIW, I don't have this particular product, nor have purchased any non-boxed versions of PDMG products since the original NG.)

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

What happens if you have to replace the m/b on one computer and/or do a clean install of Windows, so that you're still only running it on two computers, but one appears to be a completely-different machine than the one on which it was first installed? Is there a way to "de-register" it on one computer so you can put it on its drastically-rebuilt "successor?" (FWIW, I don't have this particular product, nor have purchased any non-boxed versions of PDMG products since the original NG.)

Our newer products (NGX and 777) allow you to return a license prior to reimaging, etc.

For the older products that use licenses, a support ticket will prompt us to look into it and return one as appropriate.

Kyle Rodgers

What I can't imagine is maintaining two separate FSX \ P3D setups, I have a hard enough time managing one such situation! :huh:

What I can't imagine is maintaining two separate FSX \ P3D setups, I have a hard enough time managing one such situation! :huh:

Right now, in order to support beta testing, I'm running FSX, P3D and X-Plane. I could probably help support the FSX:SE side of things, but that would be yet another thing I'd have to take on. Not up to that yet.

Kyle Rodgers

O.K.  Here's my situation:

1) Installed my boxed Aerosoft version of NGX on my laptop (FSX Gold).

2) Ran FSX -- upon choosing the NGX, was prompted to enter my registration code.  When I did so, was told that NGX was activated.

3) Checked Windows start menu.  Since this was an earlier version of NGX, I was not surprised to find the old selections of Livery Manager, etc., but no Operations Manager.

4) Installed the update downloaded from the Aerosoft site (VERSION v1.10.6461, dated 24 Mar 15...given that date, should I assume it was SP1d?).  Checked start menu -- same programs as before (i.e. no sign of Operations Manager),

5) According to the Aerosoft readme, to uninstall, I needed to run the most recent installer and choose "remove."  Did so.  Results:  no sign of the NGX from within FSX, an empty PMDG Simulations directory in start menu, but still a PMDG subdirectory in FSX with 1.48 GB of files.  Nothing came up during uninstall that mentioned "releasing" the license on that machine.

So, now...

-- Did the uninstall process from the Aerosoft update release that license, or do I have to open a support ticket with PMDG to do so?

-- What of that 1.48 GB of files in my FSX install...is it safe to delete them or not?

This is of some concern to me, since I have the NGX installed on my desktop machine as well, which I'm about to rebuild and on which I'm going to do a clean Windows install.  Would running the same Aerosoft uninstall process free up the license on that machine, or would I get told that I have already used up my licenses (one on the older existence of the rebuilt desktop, and one on this laptop, both of which have had NGX uninstalled), and so can't install it on my "reborn" machine?

Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

James David Walley

Did the uninstall process from the Aerosoft update release that license, or do I have to open a support ticket with PMDG to do so?

-- What of that 1.48 GB of files in my FSX install...is it safe to delete them or not?

Uninstall the NGX on your laptop per post #1 of this thread - http://forum.avsim.net/topic/463861-installing-fsx-and-fsxse-updates/

Then install your installer from Aerosoft. Do not click on Remove.

That clarifies quite a bit. The question remains, though -- does uninstalling the NGX per those instructions also release the license on that installation? Otherwise, it would seem to me that doing a fresh install of SP1d, after installing/uninstalling the DVD version, would mean that I would be considered to have exceeded my number of licenses, as I already have used one for the DVD version installed on my desktop, and the other for the DVD version installation on the laptop.

James David Walley

The question remains

Maybe Kyle Rodgers (scandinavian13) can answer that question. I can't.

True -- I was originally asking that question of Kyle.

James David Walley

That clarifies quite a bit. The question remains, though -- does uninstalling the NGX per those instructions also release the license on that installation? Otherwise, it would seem to me that doing a fresh install of SP1d, after installing/uninstalling the DVD version, would mean that I would be considered to have exceeded my number of licenses, as I already have used one for the DVD version installed on my desktop, and the other for the DVD version installation on the laptop.

Uninstalls/reinstalls don't actually affect your license in any way. Imagine the difficulty the beta teams would have if an uninstall/reinstall took a hit on their license. You only take a hit on your license when you get an activation prompt. Unless the license is somehow removed (the installer can't find the license stored on your computer), you will not receive that prompt.

This is the reason the Intro Manual states:

"If you need to reinstall your operating system, are upgrading your hardware, or are installing on a completely new computer system, please deactivate your license manually first through the FMC on the MENU > PMDG SETUP > LICENSE page. This will eliminate the need for you to submit a support ticket for license reactivation after you reinstall."

Note that there are really only three cases where you'd want to release a license, because those would be cases where a license would be removed (or would not be found, in the case of a new computer).

Since you're using the same computer, you won't be prompted for your license on the reinstall. Also, make sure that you put your Aerosoft DVD somewhere safe as it's no longer needed. The file you downloaded is a full installer, and it's imperative that you do not install the DVD before it to ensure the new features (to include the OC) are installer properly (the older data will get in the way, otherwise).

Kyle Rodgers