Sign in to follow this  
dash8q400 flyer

FTX Trees HD Released

As Jim alludes to above, be sure to "RTFM" on Page 6 of 16 in:

"Orbx FTX Trees HD 1.0 User Guide"

http://fullterrain.com/usermanuals/FTX%20TreesHD%20User%20Guide.pdf

"FTX Central V2 - Basics"

"* If you don't have any ORBX FTX regions installed, you don't need it.

* If you do have FTX regions installed, FTXC V2 is required for Trees HD to work.

* Once FTXC V2 is installed, you can delete your links to the old FTXC V1.
"

PS: Also, be aware of differences in "Tree" options in FTXC_v2:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/94330-introducing-ftx-trees-hd-immersion-redefined/page-7#entry870768

GaryGB

Just installed them after having them resized to 50%.

Looks great .

And slightly better fps...

The additional HD Orbx trees it installed I removed as I stopped using FTX Globsl, Vector and LC.

Btw : only those additional Orbx trees are in 2048 and are being used by FTX Global.

So if you don't use that you are using 1024 FTX trees only and it is of no use setting Fs to 2048 textures...

The fps gain is coming from the less heavy tree models , but if you pc is already high end you will not notice much of a fps improvement.

I intend to install UTX Eu 2 + GEX Eu.

That is only for some European countries where I do not have photo scenery for.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Bit the bullet, and while they look prettier close-up I'm now getting some rather nasty shimmering, especially of the winter models.

However, your missing the performance marketing point. You say you have a modest boost iunder certain circumstances. Let's use this as fact. Does this alone justify the marketing blurb? Perhaps it does.

My point really was about setting customer expectations and marketing that reflected this. Meet your customer expectations and you get a happy customer. If you don't and you do this repeatedly you erode your customer base.

I think that the marketing blurb about performance was a bit exaggerated. If they advertise a 20% performance gain, and people only see a 5% gain, customers are going to be disappointed. The product enhanced the appearance of the trees *and* increased performance slightly, which is fantastic! However since they were promised a much bigger improvement, they're going to end up with negative feelings about the product, even though it was actually really good.

I see that OrbX have now changed the product description.
Original blurb:
The most incredible part is that Trees HD will actually IMPROVE your sim's performance! New optimized tree models reduce the burden on your system, resulting in up to a 20% INCREASE in FPS and no increase in VAS usage compared to what you are experiencing now. Call it the world's cheapest CPU upgrade! Beautiful new trees and a performance benefit to boot? Now that's what we call a win-win.

https://fullterrain.com/product/ftxtreeshd

New optimized tree models reduce the burden on your system when flying over most dense-tree areas, with a negligible change in VAS compared to what you are experiencing now

Also keep in mind that even though OrbX are a big company in the flightsim world, they're a small company without a huge marketing division. Good marketing is something that requires a lot of resources, and if done poorly it can cause a backlash. Even huge companies like Coca Cola have done such mistakes (New Coke).

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

http://orbxsystems.com/forum/index.php?/topic/96360-Disapointed-by-the-new-trees-in-Automn-(PNW)#entry873517

Here's someone who described what ORBX did to get the performance boost in HD Trees. They eliminated the top-down canopy texture, which also results in the "stick figure" look when the trees are viewed from close up.

http://orbxsystems.com/forum/index.php?/topic/96360-Disapointed-by-the-new-trees-in-Automn-(PNW)#entry873517

Here's someone who described what ORBX did to get the performance boost in HD Trees. They eliminated the top-down canopy texture, which also results in the "stick figure" look when the trees are viewed from close up.

Non sense ;-)

André

Orbx's rebuttal is pretty convincing:

"Regarding the canopy, this hasn't been present in most autogen tree models since FSX service pack 2, which was released way back in 2007 or so (a few models retained it, but if you go back to the default ORBX trees in PNW you'll see that they don't have the canopies either, just the standard 2 crossed planes). So the models were not made more 'crude'; their appearance is exactly the same as before. The performance increase comes mainly from a reduction in drawcalls."

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Non sense ;-)

I was just pointing out what someone else theorized. And "since FSX SP2"? But isn't that the most common flight sim variant used by people here?

Do the default P3d trees have canopy textures? 

I was just pointing out what someone else theorized. And "since FSX SP2"? But isn't that the most common flight sim variant used by people here?

Do the default P3d trees have canopy textures? 

It was more mend to the poster at that link ;-) Should have been more clearer lol

André

No problem. The canopy textures are only used in top down modes when the 2 plane tree model is used, so they probably don't impact much, one way of the other. I'm guessing that because the ORBX HD trees were originally conceived as an add-on to just ORBX products, that the top down modes are taken care of by the photoreal forest textures in the FTX Global base pack.

Frooglesim is reporting that "initially users are claiming that they are getting a performance increase"… can we still do polls here?

If so,let's just do a poll here on:

1.performance, and;

2.beauty, and;

3. is the Orbx ad page for HD-Trees misleading?

...compile the numbers and report back to Froogle.

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Marketers should never be off the leash from the engineers or developers.  Ever.  A big marketing department is OK, but not one that doesn't understand the product intimately so they could be prone to lying to the customer.  Intimate knowledge is what allows your sales crew to sell the right product to the right people, and the marketing department to get the truth out there, in a way the people can understand, real information they can use and even build enthusiasm (a brand) around.

Just installed them after having them resized to 50%.

Can you explain how you resized them to 50% please.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I installed these trees last night and now my perfectly smooth running P3d now has micro stutters where the frame rate bounces around a bit.  Prior to installing the trees,  it used to be rock steady at 30FPS where I have it locked. I can also see the auto gen like popping up as I fly close to the ground which I never saw before. Not happy at all. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I already replied to you in the other thread about disabling the HD trees, but to deal with our specific issue here, delete the shader cache - the files are direct replacements for the defaults that could well be the cause of a stutter.