Sign in to follow this  
andymax00

FSX micro-stutters [Issue]

Hi guys,

For a couple of weeks now I have noticed that the simulator started to stutter; micro stutters (some sort of a quick back and forward movement) and somehow it is related with the audio (I guess). If I am listening to some music or YouTube videos while running FSX, they will audio-sttuter as well. First I thought it was caused by Active Sky Next, but after making a couple of tests I discovered that ASN was not the problem, so I updated the drivers of the graphics card, disabled the antivirus, lowered the sim to the minimum settings and modified the FSX.cfg (Affinity Mask, Bufferpools, etc.) without success. After testing various configurations with Nvidia Inspector without success I decided to restore the PC to factory state. When I finished installing the simulator according to Nick's Bible, to my surprise, the problem was still there.

I'm truly desperate as I don't know what else to do. The computer is fairly new (December) and never had a problem... until now. I'm posting my problem here hoping someone can help me or guide me a bit on this issue.

PC specs. are the following.

· FSX (SP2).

· W7 Professional (64 bit).

· Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 Ti OEM

· i7-4790 @ 3.60

·16 GB RAM.

Thanks in advance,

Andrés. 

If the PC has been restored to its original factory state, that rules out anything driver or software related. It might be a good idea to go back to basics and look at the condition of the hardware, especially dust that might have accumulated on the heatsinks or fans. Stuttering can be caused by overheating components. Would also be a good idea to check that all the BIOS settings are correct.

Hi,

I would not be surprised if it were related to the most recent Windows updates. I had very similar problems (microstutters, lost of FPS, increase of VAS consumption, lost of performance) approximately since the beginning of May and I had also tried everything possible at no avail. Then I solved my problems after reading this:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/a-warning-about-ms-updates-for-windows-10_topic52577_page1.html

Note.

I was also skeptical, as you probably are, but it really helped here.

If the PC has been restored to its original factory state, that rules out anything driver or software related. It might be a good idea to go back to basics and look at the condition of the hardware, especially dust that might have accumulated on the heatsinks or fans. Stuttering can be caused by overheating components. Would also be a good idea to check that all the BIOS settings are correct.

Thanks Ethan. I will clean inside out my system any time soon this week. I am not precisely a computer savvy so I really do not know how to get into the BIOS nor what to look for... 

Hi,

I would not be surprised if it were related to the most recent Windows updates. I had very similar problems (microstutters, lost of FPS, increase of VAS consumption, lost of performance) approximately since the beginning of May and I had also tried everything possible at no avail. Then I solved my problems after reading this:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/a-warning-about-ms-updates-for-windows-10_topic52577_page1.html

Note.

I was also skeptical, as you probably are, but it really helped here.

Hi. Yeah, I did that procedure today but didn't help out with the stuttering thing. Thanks for the help, though!

Some of the updates (one in particular KB2952664) are very difficult to remove. These updates draw up to 35% of your CPU to power some crap from MS that observes your computer usage and sends that info to MS to help them in marketing win10. Most people would not notice the drain but us simmers sure notice such performance loss. There are many threads on this issue on the net and with many suggestions on how to remove and stop them. It seems every new method to remove KB2952664 is somehow defeated a few days later by MS. This is definitely not cool and many in the sim community are upset by this. Me included. I have been fighting it all week and tried countless methods described across the net to remove KB2952664. What I am stuck with at this time is a dedicated sim machine that now runs like it was made in 1999. I may have to go back to MS Flight. At least it uses all the cores and GPU. I would rather not but this problem is tough for FSX.

Moe

Now this is interesting,

Have had FSX running so very well for years...all of a sudden I have developed a stutter...well more of a pause/jerk...like all other tried everything from disabling AV checking Bios, new GC drivers etc...temps ...but alas no solution...Windows update issue I now think ???

I start FSX it is all smooth...even in the turns..then pause...then ok then pause not regular...sometimes happens on take off run and when flying over the scenery..

I have AG on minimum..   so loading is low and all modest settings.. running  a gtx 770,4gb i7 2600 at 4.7 ....all been fine for ages. Ah well either a Win 7 reinstall or wait until the Win 10 upgrade and live with it...odd though how others now see an issue..

Well back to it..

All the best

Mark

Yep same effects were all having. I will never trust a MS update again. If I ultimately do a format I will do updates up to the end of 2014 and no more. I can't trust MS a company that pirates a third of my CPU. Shame on you Microsoft.

Remove these updates related in one way or another to Microsoft's intrusion.

KB2952664  good luck with this it hangs on like a bad std
KB2990214 
KB3021917
KB3035583
KB2977759
KB2996978
KB3022345
KB3044374
KB3068708    

Moe

Or go to the task scheduler and permanently disable the GWX task.

Bert

That will stop the upgrade and I think remove the unwanted get windows 10 from the task bar but I don't think that will stop the data collection that is draining the CPU. I will try that and see how it works,

Moe

As suspected just disabling in task scheduler did not work. In fact removing KB3035583 already disables it's activity and only an empty folder exist for GWX  in task scheduler. We need to find another work around. Good Idea though.

Moe

Thanks for posting. Running w7 with recent stutters. I thought it was ASN as well. I'm glad it wasn't!

supporter.jpg

Found a GWX file in the local Apps Data file, deleted it and it took it out of the task scheduler, still suffering micro stutters though. Maybe windows is downgrading windows 7 performance so we change over to windows 10

Guys all the updates are removed (at least they don't appear anymore at the installed updates section) and the stutters at my sim are still there... I'm about to go crazy. Any other suggestions?

I think there is some kind of ongoing mass panic regarding these windows updates.

I'm not saying some of them don't actually suck CPU time, but out of pure curiosity and in hope to squeeze a few extra fps like every serious simmer, I decided a while ago to follow the hype and uninstall the dreaded ones. Well, guess what, no change whatsoever. Infact I let Windows reinstall everything and only disabled GWX in Task Scheduler to get rid of the Win10 tray icon.

My latest and most effective fix for the touchy flight sim we have all come to love and hate (let's admit it, it's a 10 year old software with a flimsy backbone on which we are attaching an exoskeleton made of the latest and greatest technology, and I'm talking about all the incredible add-ons which make the sim still worth using today) was to let it rebuild the fsx.cfg I've been messing with so much.

My sim is behaving badly in these days as well, and it seems totally random. I've come to enjoy the moments when it runs smooth and have stopped blaming the world when it lets me down.

I guess the saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" applies in this case as well.

The way I got rid of my stutters and pauses was to run FSX along side ProcessMonitor and when I noticed a stutter I tried to find a process that had jumped to life.  It took several trial and error rounds but eventually narrowed it down to the major culprits which in my case were related to real time protection from virus scanners.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000