Sign in to follow this  
andymax00

FSX micro-stutters [Issue]

I got noticeable gains by doing the following:

first and foremost, finally gave up tweaking LOD radius above 4.5.

If MS decided that was the ultra-high figure than there must have been a reason. The algorythms for autogen positioning are thought for 10 year old x86 CPU's after all.

As a plus, with LOD radius at 4.5 I can run both autogen sliders at very dense with no perf hit (extremely dense is too cluttered for the area I live in anyway).

Disabled any form of supersampling.

Let Reshade+SweetFX do the job with their SMAA shader; not as good looking, but the difference in IQ is minimal and the hit on performance negligible. Coupled with native FSX AA it does the job just fine.

Running the sim in a window -> increased smoothness on my rig.

Abandoned REX Essential for textures and bought REX4 Texture Direct. After a couple of hours I can't stress how much this add-on has been improved and optimized, and it looks more realistic than ever.

Bingo,  Mark

I noticed the same thing with Microsoft Security Essentials.  It periodically will utilize 20-25 percent of cpu time when it's does its "real-time" protection activity.  

So now, each time I fly with FSX,  I disable the MSE real-time function (just takes a few seconds) and fly FSX.  

After the flight, I go back and enable MSE real-time protection.

Running the scanner after this shows no problems with viruses etc.

Hi guys,

For a couple of weeks now I have noticed that the simulator started to stutter; micro stutters (some sort of a quick back and forward movement) and somehow it is related with the audio (I guess). If I am listening to some music or YouTube videos while running FSX, they will audio-sttuter as well. First I thought it was caused by Active Sky Next, but after making a couple of tests I discovered that ASN was not the problem, so I updated the drivers of the graphics card, disabled the antivirus, lowered the sim to the minimum settings and modified the FSX.cfg (Affinity Mask, Bufferpools, etc.) without success. After testing various configurations with Nvidia Inspector without success I decided to restore the PC to factory state. When I finished installing the simulator according to Nick's Bible, to my surprise, the problem was still there.

I'm truly desperate as I don't know what else to do. The computer is fairly new (December) and never had a problem... until now. I'm posting my problem here hoping someone can help me or guide me a bit on this issue.

PC specs. are the following.

· FSX (SP2).

· W7 Professional (64 bit).

· Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 Ti OEM

· i7-4790 @ 3.60

·16 GB RAM.

Thanks in advance,

Andrés. 

I always have stuttering issues like this as well as some minor IQ problems every time that the NVIDIA driver gets updated. I use Win 10 and that can and does happen in silent mode without me knowing about it. I don't usually notice it until I see FSX stuttering or looking bad. I solve this by running the default NVIDIA control panel one time, which messes up the settings that I have customized in Nvidia Inspector. Then, I go into Nvidia Inspector, select the FSX profile and hit the button to restore the default Nvidia settings. Finally, I manually change all of the settings in Nvidia Inspector back to what I normally have them set to. It seems to work for me every time. I think the NI settings from the old driver profile conflict with the newer driver's profile causing goofy stuff and poor performance. Whenever my anti-aliasing seems to stop working correctly, this is usually the cure as well.   

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440