Sign in to follow this  
harrry

Maybe straight to 3.o

I would imagine we have to pay again for version 3+.

Typically ANY major revision to a software title will come with a price tag. The point releases ( 2.1, 2.1, etc) are usually free.

What I take away from LM's talking about v3 and v4 is that they are in this for the long run - yes, their market is commercial BUT the sim market (us) will benefit from the whole thing.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Am I the only worried about the performance of the 3rd party addons we're going to get when developers know they have an almost unlimited amount of VAS to work with?

Worried for what?

Bring it on! Use that memory. There are sliders for a reason and devs know that imitations are still within hardware.  But if you can max it out so be it, if not then back off on the slider settings.

We'vew been complaining about OOMs for how long now and bumping up our heads on the 4gb ceiling, its time to stand straight up and move on and upward.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

I feel the complaining is not so much about OOM but the fact that we can not run sliders at max w/o getting an OOM some of the time. The option of lowering sliders seems offensive to some.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I think this thread has shown that there is a disconect between developers and users.  

There was a time where the developer was a user who shared the work he did to make his sim better with others.  As freeware or as paid for software.  Freeware of course comes with no expectations and the developer has no responsibility to the user other than not to maliciously affect his system.  Payware still thinks it should come as this but it is a commercial product.

Look at the car industry.  They have well planned release dates that they stick to.  This means they can plan their release, the dealers can, the purchaser can plan his purchase of a new car and his holiday trip in it based on these dates. The product too of a car manafacture is also fit for purchase.  If not there is an extensive recall program.

There is one payware developer that has the comment on his site.  "For support use the form but we cannot promise to get back to you as we are very busy."  That developer has a good aircraft but that comment stopped my purchase immediately.  

We should not need a rumor network to find out about releases.  We need to plan our purchases and to do so need information. 

Harry Woodrow

How can you possibly compare auto manufacturing to software developing with expected/promised released dates? Totally unrealistic. Just too many variables happen with software. You can have everything looking great, and next thing you know the next thing thats worked on breaks a whole bunch of things that must now be searched out for all the bugs. Manufacturing has more finite process with assembly lines that rinse and repeat over and over again.

We the users are never satisfied with expected release dates from addons. There can be projected dates, but if its missed by 3 days, 3 months, or 3 years people freak out. I totally get complete silence on expected release dates.   But what I would like to see is more communication of progress and things messing up if you will.   Something like , this month we worked on the electrical systems, which went well, however we are having big problems with such and such to work properly.

Aerosoft does this well on thier projects, but its still a damned if you do and damned if you dont. The color is wrong shade, the positioning is wrong, the aspect ratio is off, the sound does not sound like what I know to be true, and incessant when is this going to be released already. People dont know the meaning of WIP Work in progress stamped on the pic.

Pick your evil.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Either there are some big changes coming to jump to V3.0 and or they need more funds. I would imagine we have to pay again for version 3+.

Heya Dave, 

I have said this in other threads, and repeat it here: the monies derived from "this community" are nothing to Lockheed Martin. Just do the math: say everyone purchased a Professional Version at $200 each (unlikely - I myself am a Student). Say that 1,000 users have paid this for P3D. You are now at a grand total of $200K. Just for grins, say 10,000 user downloads Professional. You are now at $2M. 

Okay, that is a lot of money. But compare that to the annual budget of a US Government flight school that "oh by the way happens to use P3D for instruction", and you are talking fractional amounts. LM gets MILLIONS (actually, billions) of dollars from the US government for anything related to flight education/instruction/training, whatever. 

We are a fly on the rhino's butt that LM puts up with.

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

In the context of the utility of the US Government P3D is not about flight simulation

And those professional flight schools are all about instrument flying and they won' use lots of high detailed addons , like we do.

Therefore they might not have those OOM issues.

Simconnect issues and instructor station issues are much more important to them.

For a while I thought that maybe there would be a v2.6 with VAS usage a little optimized , but now I think that we will see this in v3.

Which is fine , but also leaves a feeling to me that we will have 3 nice P3D versions , where 1 and 2 and not entirely finished...

( the "captainsim" feeling... )

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

In Q4 2016 Dovetail was supposed to release its flight simulator based on Unreal Engine 4.

If this project will be aborted, like recent rumors seem to confirm, P3D 32 bit will remain for the next 2-3 years until its potential will be fully squeezed out.

If Dovetail will succeed on its project instead....well...even a 64bit P3D will be obsolete to the point that everybody will shift to the new Dovetail simulator.

The only issue is that Dovetail seems to have recently dropped the ball in favor of Rail & Fishing Simulation efforts and the flight simulation project will be re-thought, perhaps, in 2017-2018, due to actual severe budget constraints.

Cheers 

If this project will be aborted, like recent rumors seem to confirm, P3D 32 bit will remain for the next 2-3 years until its potential will be fully squeezed out.

The only issue is that Dovetail seems to have recently dropped the ball in favor of Rail & Fishing Simulation efforts and the flight simulation project will be re-thought, perhaps, in 2017-2018, due to actual severe budget constraints.

Do you have a source for this?

Of course that's not an official statement released by the PR dept of Dovetail Games and of course I am not Paul Jackson CEO of Dovetail but I have been told that signals are all pointing in this direction.

Of course you have to take that with a pinch of salt, I would do absolutely the same if I was in you, but the rumored news came straight from the marketing dept......

cheers

Of course that's not an official statement released by the PR dept of Dovetail Games and of course I am not Paul Jackson CEO of Dovetail but I have been told that signals are all pointing in this direction.

Of course you have to take that with a pinch of salt, I would do absolutely the same if I was in you, but the rumored news came straight from the marketing dept......

cheers

This is pretty close to how many of us have predicted it may go. This entire Dovetail thing has never seemed to make any sense to many. Set aside the fact that they don't have a great rep. among many who use their train stuff. Just the scope of a Flight Sim Dev project is enough to give you a heart attack. Add to that, X-Plane and Prepar3D are years ahead of them. Plain and simple they are out to suck up the nickles and dimes they can get at 4 or 5 dollars a pop. 

Now that may up set some of you but I have been looking at the thread that Dovetail started about what you want in a dream sim. I find it interesting that most of the things listed other than Better ATC are  already becoming a reality for P3D. Think...SLI, Windows 10 with DX12, most major addon Dev's are now on board. There are many other examples I am sure. If Dovetail is backing off their big claims and getting back to reality then it is probably the best decision they have made since this whole goat Rope was announced. 

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/