Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Flight Unlimited 3 memories

Probably his own deception with the way all of his and other's work was simply abandoned :-/

James also found a way to start a commercial pilot career, so, I believe he is a lot more involved now in RW flying.

About 1 or 2 yrs ago he posted at the X-Plane forums, because he tried to like that sim too ( XP10 ). but I couldn't understand better is deception... mostly mine too with that platform ...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Hello Chris, 

as I wrote - no one of the actual newer sims. I've tried flightgear - not in any way compareable, later X-Plane a few years ago - but was not satisifed with it. The flight behaviour was - more or less - acceptable, but stability, usability, model quality - ages from what we had/still have. May be with professional addons it's getting better - but that I've never tried.

So as I said I ment it - from time to time FU3 - nothing else.

Have you ever tried Aerofly? If anything seems like a spiritual successor to Flightgear, that seems to be it.....

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Have you ever tried Aerofly? If anything seems like a spiritual successor to Flightgear, that seems to be it.....

I think Aerofly 2 is gonna be the next big thing. Hell it looks amazing on my phone I can't wait to see what my 4790k and gtx980 ti can do with it

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Yes, and AeroFly2 seems to be based in the San Francisco region of California. Ring any bells, guys? :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

The images and videos from Aerofly FS V2 actually remind me a LOT of FU3 :)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

My memories of Flight Unlimited go back to 1994 when I first saw screenshots of the original game in a computer magazine. At the time we only had a 386 PC and an Amiga 1200, so I could only fantasize. However in 1997 when FU2 came out I had a Pentium 133 so I bought the sim on release day. Still remember my first flight, sunset, clear skies, Beaver starting at Half Moon Bay. I was absolutely hooked on flight sims from then on.

Got FU3 when it came out in 1999 and was initially disappointed by the poor frame rates. However after getting a new PC, it became my main sim until about 2004. At this point, FS9 had come out, with decent ATC, and thanks to Megascenery, also passable photorealistic scenery. Yes, 5-6 years later, MSFS was finally catching up to FU2/3.

Then I was too busy with real life for a while, but in 2010 I started flying with OrbX scenery. To me, Prepar3D with OrbX regions and airports is the best thing at the moment. The frame rate issues and memory limitations of 32-bit are annoying, but when it works, it's amazing and just as atmospheric as FU2/3 back in the day.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Nice to see you pop in here, Jimmi :good: 

On a side note....further back in this thread, I mentioned that I had written an updated article some time ago that combined parts of the PC Pilot FU2 and FU3 articles, with additional material. This is almost twice as long as the two articles that were published (close to four thousand words), and it might be the best way for any interested readers of this thread to get a flavour of those two articles now that the original magazines are out of print. Please let me know if any of you would like to read this, and I will post it :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hello all, nice to see many others with Flight Unlimited memories. FU1 was my very first flight sim and I was hooked from the start. I'd spend many hours of my childhood doing loops and dives in the Sukhoi and Decathlon aircraft. Then FU2 came out and I enjoyed the realistic ATC and dynamic flight controls. I always took the Beaver out of Half Moon Bay and made runs to and around San Francisco.

After a while I finally got FU3, and was thrilled to learn I could reuse my FU2 CDs to return to the SanFran area once more. In the mean time I also tried Microsoft FSX, and while the aircraft and location selections were much better, the ATC really was disappointing compared to Flight Unlimited 2/3.

I'm really sad to learn that Looking Glass went under after Flight Unlimited 3, it was a great company and it really inspired me to learn more about aviation as a whole.

I apologize if this is seen as a necroing a dead thread, but I just wanted to express my appreciation to you guys for AVSIM having a Flight Unlimited section. Thanks guys! 

• Upvote 2

It's nice to hear from another enthusiastic supporter of the Flight Unlimited series! I would love to see the FU series return, and I think that our best bet for that may be with Aerofly FS2. I am keeping a close eye on that one...

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I have the Best memories of the three: FU, FU2 and FU3 too, they certainly were a stonemarker in the history of pc-based flight simulation.

Main Simulation Rig:

On a side note....further back in this thread, I mentioned that I had written an updated article some time ago that combined parts of the PC Pilot FU2 and FU3 articles, with additional material. This is almost twice as long as the two articles that were published (close to four thousand words), and it might be the best way for any interested readers of this thread to get a flavour of those two articles now that the original magazines are out of print. Please let me know if any of you would like to read this, and I will post it :smile:

I like to read the article about this great sim.

Still have it installed on my W10 laptop and runs fine.

About the same time as FU was out, I was running Fly! Anyone remember that?

Hey Chris! Long time no see. Been away from the flight sim stuff. I used to have the "Frank's Hangar" site. I was heavy into Flight Unlimited. Made a lot of scenery for FS 2004 than just decided I couldn't keep up with all the upgrades needed for the simulator. Besides making scenery after FS4 really changed. I just burnt out I guess. Now after years of laying low I have decided to build a really fast computer for once. Anyway nice making a visit here.

Frank B^)