Sign in to follow this  
ahinterl

Paro (VQPR) approach video comparison

These two Paro approach videos can be easily compared (rw video is shakier, but that doesn't really matter I think):

My personal overall feeling when watching those videos is that the sim gives me the impression that speed is much higher, terrain much closer, there's less time for maneuvers - all in all the real world video is much "less frightening" to me. The real world situation looks more "relaxed" and "doable" - look how the simmer drives the plane like a racing car onto the runway...

That kind of "wrong immersion factor" is one of the reasons I ceased simming some time ago. As long as it's not an approach like the ones into Funchal, Tocontin, Paro etc., FSX is great, but when things get tough, there's that odd feeling... Maybe just a matter of wrong zoom factor or whatever, I'd be happy to read some comments...

Andreas

Andreas, first off, thanks for a great YT link When I first looked at it I could not believe it was shot from inside an Airbus flightdeck. And I have to agree with your observations, attempting this approach and landing in a sim's Airbus, I'd be constantly worried that I might land far too fast and slide off at the other end, yet these two guys showed how incredibly smoothly the cam make the approach and landing.

Would be great to get hold of that flightplan. I'd like to attempt that flight other than in a Pilatus PC-12 or similar prop aircraft.

For anyone interested in a flight sim Paro product, there is a YouTube video which suggests that FSDG will be releasing one.

The only current payware one I know of is Thai Creations' Paro which is shown in some of the video links in the posts above and which I have and which is one of the Thai Creations products the subject of a post today in the Bargain Hunter's Shack sub-forum.

Gary

Andreas

I know what you mean about 'wrong immersion factor'.

I can quote a more sedate example. I recently flew from Heathrow to Milan Malpensa. Up there in the real plane, looking down as we climbed out, the world seemed miles away at 6000 ft. I recreated the flight in FSX and flew the same SID and route. This time the ground seemed much, much closer - I felt I could touch the little FSX houses and trees below. If I didn't know I'd have guessed we were no more than 2000 ft.

FSX is a bit like that I find. It's ok for technically getting from A to B by pressing buttons in the right order, but the actual view of the world can seem strangely distorted.

Ian

Doesn't it have to do with the zoom factor. I was once on a jump seat of a 737 for the whole flight. Being used to flying a pa-28 it seemed pretty fast.

I also think it looks smoother because they know what they are doing. They have probably trained a lot more than the fsx 'pilot'

I also think it looks smoother because they know what they are doing. They have probably trained a lot more than the fsx 'pilot'

I agree. It appears to me that the sim pilot overshot the runway and had to yank it back to get to the centerline.

I would bet those RW pilots have been to that airport a bunch of times so are more practiced at the approach.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif