Sign in to follow this  
shivers9

Windows 10 for P3D. Do We need Home or Pro and why?

I have been looking at Windows 10 and although I have seen several folks say that they are upgrading to the Pro version. I am just wondering what advantage that the Pro may offer for Flight Sim. It sounds as though Pro is more for Business and have some tight security features which may actually make setting up new software and networks a bit harder. I am aware of the auto updates debate and at least for me it doesn't pass the "so what test".  I have been running P3D and FSX on Windows 7 Home Premium for ever now. Could someone make me smart about why I might want to go to the Pro version of Win 10?

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Look into the ram allowed in each - the home versions do not support a lot of ram on your motherboard - you will have to search out those specs

Rich Sennett

Windows 10 Pro has essentially 4 additional capabilities that aren't in the Home version; BitLocker Encryption, Domain Join, Remote Access Services and Group Policy Editor.  Your FSX or P3D installations will function equally well in either Windows 10 version.  While there are x64 RAM limitations between 10 Home and 10 Pro, they are 128GB and 512GB respectively, neither of which should be of any concern to even the most hard core simmer.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

+1

Nobody here running a sim at home has any need of pro.

I ran 7 home premium and 8 pro only because it was 20 quid at launch so bought a few. Probably means it will upgrade me to 10 pro, it makes no difference to the end user though.

Pro is for domain controlled environments and the few extra features reflect that.

Chris

+1

Nobody here running a sim at home has any need of pro.

Chris did you forget this - 64-bit can support up to 192GB of RAM although with home premium the max is 16GB - all set with that - why limit yourself - not me 

Guess Microsoft picked up Their game in the ram dept after windows 7 - never checked it until now

2hgz1vs.jpg

Rich Sennett

No I didn't mention memory because it was discussed earlier and has no bearing on home or pro anyway. I was making the assumption that if you were going windows 10 you should be on 64bit capable hardware. No excuse for 32 os these days in a sim build.

Nobody here will hit the memory limit anytime soon even if we get 64bit prepar3d!

Chris

Informative reading, Am I right in saying I can get my free copy of win 10 But I can also upgrade to Pro version in the future without hassle?

win 10! Sure why not, deffo worth a go

Yup, Poppet, an upgrade IS possible, at a fee of course.

The current free upgrade is from 'like' to 'like', any higher than what you have will have to be paid for.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Great Robin, thank you :) The interface does look fresh and nice