Sign in to follow this  
Samaritano

Opinions on Sporty's vs King School PPL course

Hello,

I decided to go back to flying training and recently joined a flying school in south Florida. I have been looking

in to the PPL DVD or online courses from either Sporty's Pilot Shop or King Schools and was

wandering if anybody had any experience with these and what is your opinion and if they are worth it.

Thanks.

Ed

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

They both contain the same information. It's really a preference of presentation style.

Check out YouTube to see some examples of the different styles. Sporty's work for some, The Kings for others (and in some circles, the King videos are considered a right of passage).

I would recommend the King Checkride DVD if you haven't taken a ride before. Shows you what a typical checkride is like (actually it's incredibly comprehensive and most rides aren't as in-depth).

I wouldn't recommend either to be honest. 

The videos are cool, but I think an online study curriculum like Gleim will be more useful for passing the written and getting ready for the oral. 

I used Gleim for both my PPL and IFR ratings. The best part about it is their online practices tests are excellent. It's literally the same question bank you'll see on the real test. 

For video stuff, there are some free things on youtube you can watch as filler.

If the goal is simply to pass the written, I wouldn't recommend Sporty's, King, or Gleim. I'd recommend Sheppard Air, hands down, without giving it a second thought.

However, if you actually want to learn concepts that you'll apply to flying, and how to arrive at the answers, then presentation matters. At this point, King or Sporty's, depending upon your preference. Cessna Pilot Centers use the King videos for the integrated Part 141 syllabus. Besides students telling me the King videos are a bit cheesy and lacking in the video editing department, I've not received any complaints.

To each their own. Depends on your objective and learning style.

If the goal is simply to pass the written, I wouldn't recommend Sporty's, King, or Gleim. I'd recommend Sheppard Air, hands down, without giving it a second thought.

However, if you actually want to learn concepts that you'll apply to flying, and how to arrive at the answers, then presentation matters. At this point, King or Sporty's, depending upon your preference. Cessna Pilot Centers use the King videos for the integrated Part 141 syllabus. Besides students telling me the King videos are a bit cheesy and lacking in the video editing department, I've not received any complaints.

To each their own. Depends on your objective and learning style.

The problem with Sheppard, as you said, is that it's a rote memorization program. It's tough to retain concepts using it.

The reason I like Gleim is because I was actually able to read the online book, understand the material, and do the study guides while also having the practices tests to do repeatedly to get me prepped for passing the written. Kind of a best of both worlds. 

And it's all online now.

I bought Sporty's IFR package. If the basic private package is anything like the IFR, I'd say pass on it. Videos are well produced but just seem to lack depth...and, frankly, they put me to sleep.

I purchased a few DVDs from Sporty primarily about IFR risk management and weather flying - all by Richard Collins and this is an excellent material but it is not your basic course.

Sign in to follow this