Sign in to follow this  
uhntissbaby111

World2Xplane question

If you look on the simheaven home page, the post talks about w2xplane sceneries and how they come in multiple versions. However, when you go to the sceneries page to dowload them, there is no option, there is just one of each. I noticed that the scenery packages were updated after the post, so maybe there will only be one kind from now on, is this correct?

And I have said it before and i will say it again Tony, thank you so much for creating W2Xplane!! It has transformed my sim experience and it makes flying feel so much more authentic. Instead of random autogen, you actually see things as they are in real life. Neighborhoods look like neighborhoods, cities have their distinct look, its wonderful! And also thank you to everyone that creates the OSM data and the buildings that go into the world models!

Adam,

How much of a performance hit is there using OSM scenery?

NAX669.png

Mike,

That really depends on where you are flying/how good the OSM data is there. For big cities that have very good OSM coverage, you will definitely need a high end computer. Cities like London, Paris, Vienna, Munich, ect can be very taxing during departure/approach. But medium/small cities i find the performance good. I am running a 4770k at 4.4, GTX670(definitely need to upgrade this) and 8gb RAM. Never had an OOM. Download some sceneries and give it a shot and see how it runs on your system. You can change the amount of buildings in the rendering options of Xplane. Believe me when i say, it really is phenomenal! With autogen, you get random buildings thrown around and there is no structure to them, no neighborhoods, no blocks, roads cutting through buildings, no identity of the city. Even with stuff like GEX or FTX Global. They definitely offer improvement, but it is still autogen and is only an approximation of the city, and more often than not, a poor one at that in my opinion. With the World2Xplane program, what you get is structures in their real life location. Houses, buildings, power lines, trees, windmills, ect. When you are flying and looking down, you are seeing what you would in the real world. The cities, the villages, the lone structures on mountain tops, fields of wind mills, tree lines, forests, all of that. You see actual distinct neighborhoods. Each city in the real world has their own structure, and that is reflected in the game. I spend the majority of my flying in Europe. Having family from there and going there countless times in my life, i was always very disappointed with how it was represented in FSX/P3D. As europe has a very distinct look to it. The big cities, with the smaller towns and villages, and now i have that in Xplane. And the US is also nice, things are where they should be. And for the cherry on top, when you couple it with photoscenery, forget about it, you simply cannot get any better than that!!

If you look on the simheaven home page, the post talks about w2xplane sceneries and how they come in multiple versions. However, when you go to the sceneries page to dowload them, there is no option, there is just one of each. I noticed that the scenery packages were updated after the post, so maybe there will only be one kind from now on, is this correct?

I actually found issue with the latest version of the W2XP osm package for Canada offered at Simheaven.  I had very recently downloaded one that read osm+ag, and it worked fine.  However, when I went back to download some USA packages the other day, I noted the Canadian one was updated (and didn't read a type, as you noted) so I downloaded that one as well.  However, I then noticed that I was missing the osm buildings in the new package....

I didn't test it thoroughly, but I noticed it in a few different Canadian towns / cities where the osm+ag version had osm buildings present, and they were gone in the new version.  I reverted back to my osm+ag version and all is well again.

From what I can tell, they're a work in progress, so it's best to hang on to one of the older ones if you have it, and be sure to test any new one before deleting the old.

Anyhow, that all said, many, many thanks to Tony for creating the World2XP program, and also to Simheaven for continuing to run data through it and make it available to the rest of us!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Thanks Adam and Jimmy, glad you like the scenery.

If I'm honest, I'm not sure what is going on with the files hosted at Simheaven (I'm not the one who creates them). I do think they're a work in progress, but I also know that v0.7.2 of World2XPlane has several open bugs which are likely to have made it into the scenery (e.g. Some building parts are missing, trees from autogen conflicting with buildings and missing powerlines for some users).

If you speak German (or use Google Translate), they have a post in German on Aerosoft where the site host of Simheaven responds to users (http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/79518-world2xplane), so maybe this will answer your questions in regards to the files.

I've been really stuck for time (and motivation) recently so I haven't worked much on fixing these bugs or finishing the autogen, but when I do, I'm sure Simheaven will update the scenery again, but it would be a waste of his time now to build the scenery if there are open bugs. 

Adam,

I took your advice and downloaded the W2X for Europe. Wow, it really does add a whole new dimension to XPX scenery. As you stated, areas like London are pretty tough on performance. I'm running a I7-2600k@ 4.6, GTX77 4gb and 8 GB of ram. It does require that I turn my objects down a notch but it still looks pretty good. Thanks for the help.

NAX669.png

Yep, the big cities will really kill even a powerful machine on maximum settings, so some compromise is needed with the settings. It would be great if there was a way to auto adjust the scenery based on load, i.e. X-Plane would automatically lower settings under heavy load. 

Mike,

Yeah London is a beast!! England I believe has the most complete OSM data there is, so London is im assuming the most taxing city out there. But, given its level of detail, it sure does look very nice!

Actually OSM data in the UK is actually pretty poor which is why I did a standalone scenery using other data (GB Pro on the World2XPlane website). Good countries in Europe for data are Germany, France, Netherlands and the Czech Republic.

Oh, didn't know that. I was actually using your UK Pro last night when I was admiring the level of detail. I thought it all came from OSM

Good countries in Europe for data are Germany, France, Netherlands and the Czech Republic.

I tried flying out of Frankfurt and the performance was very good. It could be though that it's not as heavily populated as the area around Heathrow.

NAX669.png