Sign in to follow this  
Artur Munteanu

737 MAX

Is there any chance that PMDG would give to the simmers this?
Maybe. But it would be a long time in the future. To correctly model the flight PMDG would need a lot of data from real world operations and seeing as how the planes not even in sky yet any meaningful data is years away.
  • Upvote 1

It need only a new VC and some little modification on wing model.
A new VC needs to integrate with hundreds of other systems in the plane. And some "little modifications on the wing model" are going to change the flight dynamics. This is large undertaking and would take years to code. A long way off in the distant future if PMDG decides yes which as far as I know that haven't.
  • Upvote 1

Well I don't think is so complicate... It need only a new VC and some little modification on wing model.

Not so complicated?  It takes hundreds of hours just to do the VC. 

You have to model it in 3D. 

Gauges have to be created and programmed...do you know how many thousands of lines of code is needed to just run the FMC, let alone the code in the other gauges to work with just the FMC?

Then you have the MCP. 

Then you have systems logic.

etc.

etc.

Then, like you say, the wing has changed. 

This alters not only flight dynamics such as lift and drag, but other factors like fuel flow, stall speed, how flaps affect the airframe, reaction of the airframe in different phases of flight (takeoff, cruise, approach), etc, etc.

Then there are new engines.  Again, flight dynamics and fuel usage will be completely different.  Sound will be different.

Then you have to BETA test for hundreds of hours finding and fixing bugs and tweaking things.

Think more in years.  It's not a "quick fix".  It's not a patch.

The 737MAX is a whole new beast.  It a new generation of aircraft.  It would have to be created from the ground up to be done right by PMDG standards.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Well I don't think is so complicate... It need only a new VC and some little modification on wing model.

If it were only this much, I don't think Boeing would be trumpeting about the fuel savings and other benefits, and I doubt the airlines would invest in a more expensive and newer model of aircraft over an existing (proven) current model.

Nobody would buy a new plane because "they made it look different." New data will come from this model, and, if anyone decided to pick it up to develop for a sim, they'd need to find that data. Currently, that data isn't even available yet because the MAX exists only in computer renderings and display models.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

If it were only this much, I don't think Boeing would be trumpeting about the fuel savings and other benefits, and I doubt the airlines would invest in a more expensive and newer model of aircraft over an existing (proven) current model.

Nobody would buy a new plane because "they made it look different." New data will come from this model, and, if anyone decided to pick it up to develop for a sim, they'd need to find that data. Currently, that data isn't even available yet because the MAX exists only in computer renderings and display models.

To be fair to Artur he's talking about simulating the 737MAX, not developing a real one. Simulating more efficient engines or winglets in FSX is not a technological challenge. You just need the numbers to aim at. As you say actual data doesn't exist yet. But what does exist are Boeing's targeted efficiency savings. 1.8% more efficient winglets for example. So someone could produce something very like the performance of a 737MAX, good enough for FSX, simply by adjusting their NG simulation model to produce the target improved performance. You certainly wouldn't start from scratch. Making the new displays would be a big task though. But until the real displays are fully defined you would simply be guessing at how they looked and operated. As we all know, PMDG doesn't do things by guesswork.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Simulating more efficient engines or winglets in FSX is not a technological challenge

Hi,

Maybe...but doing an (almost) "perfect" simulation of a new airplane is very difficult if you don't know exactly flight-dynamics and engine "numbers" so doing just a realistic cockpit with "some improvement in flight dynamics and engines " (made "by case" not having flight dynamics and engine data) is a nonsense for me and, I'm ready to bet, also for PMDG that is and has a "fame" of very serious software company making the most realistic FSX/P3D add-ons ever seen...if you simply want "the last model of toy" (not a criticism here just a different way to see the flight simulation) is better to ask for that to another less serious and dedicate company...

Best Regards

Simulating more efficient engines or winglets in FSX is not a technological challenge

Hi,

Maybe...but doing an (almost) "perfect" simulation of a new airplane is very difficult if you don't know exactly flight-dynamics and engine "numbers" so doing just a realistic cockpit with "some improvement in flight dynamics and engines " (made "by case" not having flight dynamics and engine data) is a nonsense for me and, I'm ready to bet, also for PMDG that is and has a "fame" of very serious software company making the most realistic FSX/P3D add-ons ever seen...if you simply want "the last model of toy" (not a criticism here just a different way to see the flight simulation) is better to ask for that to another less serious and dedicate company...

Best Regards

Which is why my last sentence suggests PMDG would not consider it on that basis. I was merely pointing out that it isn't impossible to do something close enough for FSX with minimal data.

ki9cAAb.jpg

As we all know, PMDG doesn't do things by guesswork.

Exactly. So there's no "to be fair" clause here. Something can't be simple if it's impossible. No data? Not possible.

Earlier post stands.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

No data? Not possible.

Maybe Im not in good thread but not so far about upgrade of amazing PMDG 737, do you expect to add weather radar like 777?

Thanks in advance

Pierre

i7-8700K 3.70 GHz, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, Samsung SSD 840 840 EVO 1TB,  RAM 16 GB, Triple Monitors : 2 LG and Planar touch screen PCT 2265 as main monitor,  Windows 10 up to date 🙂

Maybe Im not in good thread but not so far about upgrade of amazing PMDG 737, do you expect to add weather radar like 777?

Thanks in advance

Pierre

It is included in SP1D. Get the link to the full installer from your View Previous Orders at PMDG Shop. Install per these direction in post #1 - http://forum.avsim.net/topic/463861-installing-fsx-and-fsxse-updates/.

Thanks in advance

Pierre

...it's already in there?

Edit: Michael, you beat me to it.

sig01.png

It is included in SP1D.

In SP1D of 737? 

I will check it right now...

i7-8700K 3.70 GHz, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, Samsung SSD 840 840 EVO 1TB,  RAM 16 GB, Triple Monitors : 2 LG and Planar touch screen PCT 2265 as main monitor,  Windows 10 up to date 🙂

To be fair to Artur he's talking about simulating the 737MAX, not developing a real one. Simulating more efficient engines or winglets in FSX is not a technological challenge. You just need the numbers to aim at. As you say actual data doesn't exist yet. But what does exist are Boeing's targeted efficiency savings. 1.8% more efficient winglets for example. So someone could produce something very like the performance of a 737MAX, good enough for FSX, simply by adjusting their NG simulation model to produce the target improved performance. You certainly wouldn't start from scratch. Making the new displays would be a big task though. But until the real displays are fully defined you would simply be guessing at how they looked and operated. As we all know, PMDG doesn't do things by guesswork.

This is exact what I mean! The external model is already there, the cockpit also, just the panel VC no. So it's not a new one, but I would say more an "expansion" form 737NGX. Also having no data yet, this is something else...

My question was: (with all data by the hand of PMDG) could be possible to make the expansion for 737NGX or it has be done a new product from the begining?