Sign in to follow this  
brianbash

FWIW Laptops can take you there also...

Hello all,

I want to share my extreme happiness with my new Laptop that I got specifically for P3D. Seems to be a common rule that a laptop just can't get you there as well as a Desktop can. Sure, upgrades are more difficult etc, but I needed a laptop for mobility while  on the road for work, so I took the plunge.

Goodness, I've never been more happy. I got a MSI GS70 2QE, their "Stealth Pro" laptop. It isn't a tank like the alienware laptops, weighing in at just under 7lbs. I got it from a nice individual on craigslist for only $1250. Purchased new in Nov. 2014 and still has warranty.

I kid you not, at CYYZ by FlyTampa I am getting an astonishing 32FPS locked. Antistropic Filtering is 16X, MSAA 8x, 4096 Textures, AI Traffic at 35%. All the bells and whistles! I'm floored, especially after being warned of laptops before the purchase.

So happy, now my flight sim goes everywhere with me! Say goodbye to terrible hotel TV and vending machines!

http://gaming.msi.com/products/notebook/gs-series

---Brian Bash---
398 HR MEL PPL and climbing!

Is your CPU the 5700HQ? That's a decent mobile CPU - makes sense why you're getting decent performance.

Cool!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

i love my laptop  :lol:

ASUS ROG G751 Series Gaming Laptop 

Intel Core i7 4710HQ (2.50GHz)

24GB Memory

1TB 7200rpm HDD

256GB SSD 

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 4GB GDDR5

ASUS VX238H Black 23" 1ms Monitor

17.3" IPS Screen

Windows 8.1 64-Bit

2TB HDD EXTERNAL USB 3.0

$2400

Is your CPU the 5700HQ? That's a decent mobile CPU - makes sense why you're getting decent performance.

Cool!

It's actually the i7-4710HQ. I saw the new one and got a little jealous...but no reason, the 4710 works great!

i love my laptop  :lol:

ASUS ROG G751 Series Gaming Laptop 

24GB Memory

1TB 7200rpm HDD

256GB SSD 

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 4GB GDDR5

ASUS VX238H Black 23" 1ms Monitor

17.3" IPS Screen

Windows 8.1 64-Bit

2TB HDD EXTERNAL USB 3.0

$2400

It's the twin of mine...except it works out......here's mine...

MSi GS70SE Gaming Laptop

16GB Memory

1TB 7200rpm HDD

256GB SSD 

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5

17.3" IPS Screen

24" Samsung Monitor

Windows 8.1 64-Bit

1TB HDD EXTERNAL USB 3.0

Hows that 980?!? Im thinking of swapping...hopefully xmas comes early!

---Brian Bash---
398 HR MEL PPL and climbing!

I have the MSI QE72 Apache with the i7-4720HQ. It does a good job but still struggles when trying to attempt too much (all ORBX layers...traffic....big cities). But it still does a great job for a laptop. 

Have you tried running FSXMark 11 on your laptop yet?

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

Hi....the discussion about laptops running flight simulator are old news now! :rolleyes: I have always used my laptop (Nvidia 860M, i7 4710HQ)..i have perfect smoothness and never had OOM....FPS always in the 20's (lowest). Guys, laptops are the way to go! The specs are now very similar to desktops, just cooling is still the issue....it's amazing what these small machines can do. I still have my Commodore 64 in it's box! We have come far! Best regards.

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

My Sager laptop posts better FSXMark scores than my desktop (which, granted, is in sore need of a rebuild). 

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/329116-fsxmark11/?p=3250709

My main problem lies in the controller -- since I don't know of any joystick I can fit in my laptop bag, I'm reduced to using a Logitech "XBox-clone" gamepad, which is way too twitchy for my liking.  What sort of controllers do you use?

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

How nice to see a discussion about laptops and FSX that is not over run by replies saying that laptops are a waste of time. I suspect a very big number of FSX users are using just laptops as I am.

I have an Acer Aspire Timeline U and it runs FSX with add ons at quite high settings.

I am away a lot and I need the laptop for FSX - granted taking the Saitek FCS is a pain but it is worth it.

Trouble is I will need a new laptop soon - what  do all of you recommend? An Acer Nitro or a HP Omen? Anyone got one and using it for FSX?

Gerry