Sign in to follow this  
scandinavian13

[Beta Preview] DC-6 for X-Plane

The beta team received word last night that pictures may be shown here, and I'm somewhat surprised none have ended up here yet. That being said, I do know Pete (Froogle) has been busy lately with some travel plans, and I have a feeling Carl will eventually show up and describe the 6 in beautifully exquisite and artistic detail...but for now, I'll provide you with a few shots from my earlier testing.

Of course, remember that these are beta pictures, so try to refrain from total meltdowns about things that might look out of place. The beta team has been very good at snagging items so far, and each build makes things ever better. Also, of note, is that none of these pictures has been edited.

The DC-6 has been a lot of fun to get used to, and I'm still learning new bits each time I fire up the sim. Externally, it exudes an air of sophistication over past designs, while also being right there on the edge of what was then "tomorrow."

DC-6_3.png

In the sim, this sophisticated look presents itself nicely, despite also showing some ruggedness. It might not show itself off as rugged as the venerable DC-3, but you can still see the Douglas style showing through the refinements. Note the light playing on the surface, and how those surfaces are textured.

DC-6_8.png

Stepping inside, this detail is also apparent in the gauge reflections, texturing, and so on.

DC-6_9.png

What you're missing in the stills, of course, is the aircraft living and breathing as the huge radials vibrate the airframe, and the panel and needles vibrate in response.

DC-6_5.png

Note the varying aging of the gauges, and in some cases, slightly different gauge faces as individual gauges got replaced over time.

DC-6_7.png

There are a few updates to the panel to make it compatible with the modern requirements of today's airspace, but otherwise, you're presented with the mostly pre-human-factors early flight decks.

DC-6_6.png

When things get dark, there is an array of nearly infinite combinations of lighting to get the job done. Here, the red light illuminates the captain side to supplement the remaining light from the sunset. Note that the light drops off towards the first officer's side, as I've left those lights off.

DC-6_1.png

...and here, a red wash on the upper panel.

DC-6_10.png

Until next time!

DC-6_2.png

Notes, since I know people will ask:

• The sim is X-Plane
  • The DC-6 will release first for X-Plane, and will then migrate into other platforms at a later date
  • No additional scenery has been used
  • No additional plug-ins have been used
  • No edits have been made
  • The Beta Team has been making suggestions and tweaks to features since they got their hands on it - please don't ask for a features list, as the features are being adjusted as the beta process continues
  • Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Looks great, nice to see PMDG doing something other than glass.

Although, a 430? A proper DC-6 would have a sextant.  :wink:

Joe Sherrill

Kyle,

This looks gorgeous. Thank you for taking th time to share these shots with us.  If we do not have a complex hardware setup with lots of available levers for throtles and prop pitch, etc, how much are we going to lose in terms of enjoying the full experience offered by this simulation?  I remember rob talking about getting engines out of harmony and such.  Would hate to miss out on all that fun because all my engine controls are tied to a single lever for each.

Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones

Kyle, will it be a bit similar to A2A ( sorry for comparison ), that engines and plane systems will depend to maintenance and mileage ? ( plane will remember own status and condition when left after last flight )

Artur 

Looks amazing.  Very glad I jumped into X-Plane when I did, it'll enable me to take a very close look at this on release. ^_^

I'm also curious at how much might be missed with 'not enough' levers.  I'm also interested in what all has been done in order to accommodate a lone pilot, trying to sit in all the seats at the same time!

I should also note that I'm really excited to see what those four R-2800's sound like!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Bring on the P3D version and I am keen! Looking very good. Imagine a 727 or 747 classic done at that level of detail! (Hint hint!)

:)

Looking Amazing!

It'll probably require quite some learning to get really using it, and with much less automation, and more basic navigation tools, but I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun. 

Really lookign forward for more of this :)

Thanks Kyle. Really looking forward to eventually trying this on X-Plane as are many others.

It's looking marvellous, just as I'd expect from PMDG. I'm also surprised that it will eventually transfer to other platforms as I had imagined Xplane to be entirely different to FSX/P3D in terms of coding etc. but then again, Xplane isn't my area. Thanks for these shots Kyle.