Sign in to follow this  
scandinavian13

[Beta Preview] DC-6 for X-Plane

Made the jump to x-plane a few months ago and use it side-by-side with P3D, so this is looks absolutly wonderful:)

I have to ask; are you gonna include windshild rain on this one?

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One

Warbirds-

You need to have your real name when posting.

Now that we have that resolved, yes there will be a FSX version, and was originally built for that platform.  But as part of a marketing strategy, I wouldn't expect the fsx version for at least 6- 12 months after the Xplane release.

I do, my real name is signed in my artwork at the bottom of my posts.

I addressed this in the very first post. The DC-6 was our project to learn about developing for X-Plane without all the automated functions to have to fuss with. Most of the team members are big fans of radials, too, so it was a natural choice.

Full names in the forum, too, please.

haha - they're probably more enjoyable than my videos, too. That thunderstorm one was a good one.

My name is in my artwork at the bottom of this post..........ok

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

A question just popped into my mind as I was watching some of the DC-6 videos.

How does PMDG intend to release the DC-6 (and hopefully future products too) as far as X-Plane is concerned? Will it be through PMDG's own online platform or through the X-Plane.org Store, which is the more usual platform for selling X-Plane plug-ins and aircraft?

Furthermore, will PMDG's Operations Centre be required at all, for, say, management of liveries and other PMDG utilities in X-Plane?

For the record, X-Plane's plug-in, custom aircraft and custom scenery management system is comparatively simple: one just needs to un-zip the package into the corresponding folders and launch the simulator, which will automatically detect any new files and load them as required.

Thanks.

Sharadh R.

How does PMDG intend to release the DC-6 (and hopefully future products too) as far as X-Plane is concerned? Will it be through PMDG's own online platform or through the X-Plane.org Store, which is the more usual platform for selling X-Plane plug-ins and aircraft?

I'm sure RSR will announce this prior to the aircraft being released.

Furthermore, will PMDG's Operations Centre be required at all, for, say, management of liveries and other PMDG utilities in X-Plane?

Probably. Why use it for FSX, FSX:SE, and P3D...and then leave X-Plane out?

For the record, X-Plane's plug-in, custom aircraft and custom scenery management system is comparatively simple: one just needs to un-zip the package into the corresponding folders and launch the simulator, which will automatically detect any new files and load them as required.

"Simple."

You'd be surprised at how difficult that "simple" things can be for people. For that reason, the aircraft is installed with an installer.

Sharadh R.

Full names in the forum, please - first and last.

Kyle Rodgers

"Simple."

You'd be surprised at how difficult that "simple" things can be for people. For that reason, the aircraft is installed with an installer.

First, thanks for the quick reply. I used that word, 'simple' in the sense that it's easier to move things around should the need ever arise, as well as the lack of dependency on the Windows registry (presumably a consequence of X-Plane having been developed for and on Macs and Mac OS before being ported to Windows).

For example, if one wished to move his/her X-Plane install to a new computer, he/she merely needs to do a basic copy/paste of the whole X-Plane folder over to the new computer. Hence, this also allows for cross-platform migration, from Windows to OS X or Linux, and vice versa. No "re-installation" of any aircraft, plug-ins, scenery or even Navigraph data is required on the new computer, since everything is self-contained in their respective folders.

But as you said - one size may not fit all. I personally find it easier to manage stuff using a file system rather than having everything automated for me, and installers putting everything everywhere. But others might prefer the lack of tedium that comes with installers.

I mainly asked this question because the PMDG aircraft installers for FSX come in executables, while nearly all add-ons (including aircraft) in X-Plane come in single .zip archives which are extracted into the corresponding folders. But you probably already know this, having used X-Plane for a while already.

I only feel that it seems extraneous to have a .exe file just to decompress and extract one archive containing one folder (containing sub-folders, of course) into one folder. But this is assuming PMDG will package its DC-6 as a .zip in the first place (although I cannot see why it wouldn't).

Full names in the forum, please - first and last.

Got it.

Sharadh Rajaraman

But this is assuming PMDG will package its DC-6 as a .zip in the first place (although I cannot see why it wouldn't).

You're assuming everyone who uses our products is computer literate. You'd be surprised at how many very basic questions end up in our support queue.

The EXE will place everything in the right spot for the end user so that we don't have to explain to every 4th person how to put a folder in another specific folder. Again, that seems pretty basic, but you'd be surprised at how challenging simple computing tasks can be for some.

Kyle Rodgers

You're assuming everyone who uses our products is computer literate. You'd be surprised at how many very basic questions end up in our support queue.

The EXE will place everything in the right spot for the end user so that we don't have to explain to every 4th person how to put a folder in another specific folder. Again, that seems pretty basic, but you'd be surprised at how challenging simple computing tasks can be for some.

Kyle,

You also forgot to mention that the PMDG staff have to exercise ungodly patience for those who are not exactly computer literate. :)

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Good to hear that the .exe does it all for us. About that second bit - I do find it rather odd that there exist people who can operate PMDG's study-level simulations of planes, and yet cannot find their way around computer OSes and filesystems. But then again, I've seen physicists who can manipulate complicated Fourier transforms and partial differential equations like it were second nature, but are completely lost when it comes to PCs and smartphones. Oh, well, masters of one trade.

Thanks for the clarification, at any rate. I look forward to more videos and sneak peeks at the DC-6 simulation.

Sharadh Rajaraman

Good to hear that the .exe does it all for us. About that second bit - I do find it rather odd that there exist people who can operate PMDG's study-level simulations of planes, and yet cannot find their way around computer OSes and filesystems. But then again, I've seen physicists who can manipulate complicated Fourier transforms and partial differential equations like it were second nature, but are completely lost when it comes to PCs and smartphones. Oh, well, masters of one trade.

Thanks for the clarification, at any rate. I look forward to more videos and sneak peeks at the DC-6 simulation.

Sharadh Rajaraman

One example I can think of is if a FSX user switches to X-Plane. Even though it's not very hard to install

addons in X-Plane, the installer will make it simpler.

I'm also looking forward to some more previews. Do you plan to do some more Kyle?

haha - yeah, it always puzzles me when I see that, but hey...sometimes skill doesn't translate everywhere.

I'm also looking forward to some more previews. Do you plan to do some more Kyle?

I've been thinking more about this lately. I have a feeling I'll put one up pretty soon. I'm surprised nobody else from the beta team has yet. Then again, it's a handful of an airplane, so there isn't too much time to sit back, relax, and narrate away.

Kyle Rodgers

haha - yeah, it always puzzles me when I see that, but hey...sometimes skill doesn't translate everywhere.

I've been thinking more about this lately. I have a feeling I'll put one up pretty soon. I'm surprised nobody else from the beta team has yet. Then again, it's a handful of an airplane, so there isn't too much time to sit back, relax, and narrate away.

Hi, I'm interested in the question of when PMDG begin to produce for X-Plane 10 boeing 777, Boeing 747, Boeing 737 NG (normal model for X-Plane 10 is in principle not, and all the same two main questions: When will the release of PMDG DC-6 for X-Plane 10.40, as well as why so many years PMDG not developed and produced modyli aircraft for X-Plane 10, because the X-Plane 10 already as about 4 years ago happened.

When will the release of PMDG DC-6 for X-Plane 10.40

We don't give release dates. It releases when it releases.

as well as why so many years PMDG not developed and produced modyli aircraft for X-Plane 10, because the X-Plane 10 already as about 4 years ago happened.

Until now, our main focus was FSX, and that was a dominant simulator in the market.

Also: full names - first and last - in your posts, please.

Kyle Rodgers

Change Display Name

You cannot change your display name until 04 March 2016 - 11:59 AM

Until now, our main focus was FSX, and that was a dominant simulator in the market.

Tried to change the name of it he says:

Change Display Name

You cannot change your display name until 04 March 2016 - 11:59 AM

In general, do you plan to release PMDG 777, 747-400,747-8I, as well as other new model for X-Plane 10 ?, because X-Plane 10.40 Alternative FSX SE and Prepar 3D v3 (not yet published). just all want and dream of PMDG models for X-Plane, but the truth is I have a friend poglonnik X-Plane 10, he flew to the PMDG FSX and noticed that the aircraft is not very realistic to climb.

Tried to change the name of it he says:

Change Display Name

When in the PMDG forums you have to put your full correct name in your Signature, just like mine  :smile:

When in the PMDG forums you have to put your full correct name in your Signature, just like mine  :smile:

My real name Kirill :smile:

My real name Kirill