Sign in to follow this  
scandinavian13

[Beta Preview] DC-6 for X-Plane

How torky will this one be :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Great preview, those red lights on panels are amazing, how about FPS at current beta stage?

The VC looks Stunning 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

It does look sweet, and thanks, Kyle, for the peek. Really looking forward to this.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

That´s looks really fantastic.

I have two questions:

1) Can we get the manual before release?

2) Will it be available on Steam?

Also, if anyone's interested, the latest edition PC Pilot magazine in the UK has an article and some pictures of this plane as well.

Looks great - 

Understatement of the year :P

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Nice,

Can't wait for new planes in X-plane.

Looks very good.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. This airplane really does satisfy my historically-inclined side. I've been reading a lot of Pan Am lore lately to help me answer the array of questions we get at airshows (you wouldn't believe how obscure some can be, though it's usually a core group of simple questions/comments), and reading about it all really makes me want to jump in the sim and try my hand at the same challenges of the time, in a classic like the DC-6. 

Although, a 430? A proper DC-6 would have a sextant. 

True, if you're simulating flying it back in the middle of the last decade. Still, ADF (mid 1930s), VORs (mid 1940s) were starting to pop up at the time, and radio navigation had been pioneered by Pan Am in the late 1920s. LORAN, of course, popped up on the civilian side a little later for those spots outside of VOR coverage. GPS isn't too incredibly different from the latter concept - it just relies on satellites instead of ground-based antennas.

If we do not have a complex hardware setup with lots of available levers for throtles and prop pitch, etc, how much are we going to lose in terms of enjoying the full experience offered by this simulation?

I have all of my throttles mapped to a single lever at the moment. With a steerable nosewheel, getting around on the ground won't be too difficult. Prop pitch in the real aircraft was also selected by a master, single lever (the white knob, marked "P" in the third picture just to the right of the #4 throttle lever on the capt side). There are definitely ways to get around your hardware limitations.

So far, I have:

-Throttle axis

-Toggle for cowl flaps open/close (incrementally); and

-Toggle for gear up/down (and a separate button to put the gear handle in the OFF position

The rest is pretty easy to manipulate via mouse click, though there are more assignable commands in the menu structure.

Kyle, will it be a bit similar to A2A ( sorry for comparison ), that engines and plane systems will depend to maintenance and mileage ? ( plane will remember own status and condition when left after last flight )

I don't believe this is in the scope of what we're trying to do with this project.

How torky will this one be :-)

Surprisingly tame, but it does hunt the yaw axis quite a lot, realistically.

Kyle Rodgers

The DC-6 is a true 3 to 4 flight crew aircraft, to fly realistically you really need the extra crew member(s) to monitor and regulate systems. A2A accomplishes this with their B377 by simulating a Virtual copilot and engineer. How is this going to be handled in this aircraft?

Tom Cain

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

how about FPS at current beta stage?

This I can't quite comment on because I only use X-Plane to test the 6, and I've been changing my graphics settings to get better performance out of the sim (weather, as an example, will bring the sim to its knees if you jack the settings up too high). I don't really have a good baseline without the 6, and on stable settings, so I can't even comment on a generic level of "it does/doesn't have too much of an FPS impact."

1) Can we get the manual before release?
2) Will it be available on Steam?

1) Not sure on this one.

2) We don't distribute via Steam at the moment, but it's fully compatible with the Steam version of X-Plane.

Kyle Rodgers

Many thanks for the update.

The a/c looks beautiful and well executed. I am an X-Plane fan and look forward to flying my first PMDG product.

I did fly the DC-6 as an F/O just before they were put out to pasture. It should be an interesting experience again.

Jim Morgan