Sign in to follow this  
nandrews

Newbie looking for first steps

I just throw this in though it's not entirely relevant.

Tho' I have bought a 4K monitor I am ultimately waiting for VR.

I think VR will bring everything that I want at least in flight sim if not driving sims aswell.

This may even allow for a better perfomance than with an 'equivalent' large monitor.

It will certainly provide a wholly improved experience IMHO

Tho' there will be some hurdles to overcome no doubt.

Nigel

I am back after trying a few things and looking at the relevant sections of the manual, to ask (repeat) a few questions.

Whenever I load a new aircraft I find myself with my nose pressed against the glareshield and a very close view of a couple of gauges.

I have found some of the view point controls, but they don't seem to help much.

In default view I seem to have little control, tho' in 3D view I have a bit more.

But often if I am able to translate rearwards, before I am able to see many of the dials I am going through the back of the seat!

So I am stuck with an apparent distance from the facia of about one foot. So I see maybe the top row of dials and a bit of the next.

I can't easily look down to see the rest. But I feel I should be able to see at least the "six pack" in my main view.

I am running, I believe, a reasonably capable system (it cost enough!) and have set the resolution high (too match the 4K monitor), set HDR on and AA high.

But I still get 'jaggies' and a lot of shimmering from vertical and horizontal lines  - much more than I had on my previous system with only half the 4K resolution.

The moon, when it's showing, is a joke, looking like a circle made out of 30 squares!

I have a strong feeling I am missing something. If only by looking at YouTube videos of X-Plane looking very nice.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Nigel

P.S. In the meantime I am adding in new scenery (inc' AlpilotX HD Mesh) and aircraft.

I'm just running a 4GB GTX980 on a 1920x1200 monitor which works just fine for me. I just lost a monitor and need to replace one, but decided against a 4K due to graphics load. I like having 50-60 fps during flights over complex scenery and keeping busy airport ground frames in the 30's. I've seen 4K with X-Plane and the combined cost of a Titan-X and 4K is just not worth the money to me. My scenery is outstanding because I can push the AA/AF settings higher than you can on a 4K, and a 24 or 27" monitor 1/2 meter away is plenty big. There are just too many small text problems with the 4K monitors with many programs that make it less than optimal for my uses.

What's your CPU? I could only dream of 50-60 fps. I rarely go above 30 but I crank the scenery in favor of eye candy.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

What's your CPU? I could only dream of 50-60 fps. I rarely go above 30 but I crank the scenery in favor of eye candy.

I have an i7-4790K overclocked on liquid to 5.0GHz, so my CPU is not a bottleneck.  My main bottleneck (if you want to call it that) is only 4GB on my GTX980 card.

Mine is

Intel Core i7 5960X Haswell-E 8-Cored 3.50GHz Processor (Overclocked up to 4.3 GHz)

Nigel

I see X-plane.org have a sale on just now.

Maybe I should start by getting myself a good GA plane.

So far I am only using the stock aircraft and some suggested freebies.

Maybe I will see something better if I buy.

But which GA a/c should I go for?

Nigel

But which GA a/c should I go for?

I would go for the Piper Arrow III for 16 bucks it is extremly cheap. It doesn't have such detailed sound effects like the Carenados but its flight behaviour is extremly good.

Outside of the sale my number one options would be the DHC-2 Beaver by SoulMadeSim or the Carenado CT210M together with the Reality Expansion Pack for this plane.

Whenever I load a new aircraft I find myself with my nose pressed against the glareshield and a very close view of a couple of gauges.

In the rendering menu, near the bottom of the page is a bunch of view controls.  One of them is marked 'field of view'.  I can't recall what it's set to out of the box, but I've adjusted mine to about '85'.  Otherwise, on my 32" screen, things are far too zoomed in.

Maybe I should start by getting myself a good GA plane.

I plan on getting the Legacy from Aerobask.  I've heard good things about it.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Jimmy,

Thanks for that. Sounds like what I need to get a proper viewpoint.

I'm surprised it's not mentioned in the 'Quick flight' section of the manual. My perception in my 'quick flight' and since has not been great.

Nigel

Jimmy,

I think that helped me this evening and possibly also because I flew the Baron (which seems one of the better stock aircraft) I was able to get quite comfortable.

Was able to look around, set autpilot/flaps etc. and map some more joystick controls.

I think I am getting ontop of X-Plane now, instead of it being ontop of me!

Nigel

I think I am getting ontop of X-Plane now, instead of it being ontop of me!

Glad it's starting to work out for you!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Any other recommendations from the x-plane.org sale?

I am inclined also to get a small passenger plane like a Dash 8 or ATR 72, plus a chopper.

Some look very good and at a decent price to add to my hangar, but I wonder how well they fly and how much of the cockpit is controllable?

Nigel

Any other recommendations from the x-plane.org sale?

I am inclined also to get a small passenger plane like a Dash 8 or ATR 72, plus a chopper.

Chopper: The Bell 407, that's one of the best, but helicopters need some training, since they behave more realistic than under FSX.

The Dash 9 is a bit old, so the cockpit controls are a bit limited, but better than the ATR 72.

I would saqy take the DHC-6 Twin Otter. Not perfect but for this price it's quite good, or the Boeing 727 Series.

Thanks again for that.

I realise we could spend all day recommending and countering suggestions.

I do take your point about helicopters needing extra training and I will go into it with that caution.

I had already put the Bell 412 in my basket - 'cos there is a good review and it looks fully controllable. But maybe it is too much to handle tho' and your suggested 407 might be a better choice for a newbie.

I had also put the RWDesigns Twin Otter in there, so maybe we accord on that. I also took your suggestion on the Piper Arrow.

So I have 3 planes in the basket covering the range I was thinking of.

So maybe I'll go with that, unless anyone wants to point out something I've missed.

I appreciate your help

Nigel

I'd recommend the Dreamfoil R22.  Very simple in terms of start up and operation, very good view, still challenging to fly. The 407 is very good though; both are worthwhile to own. ^_^

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.