Sign in to follow this  
BrettT

P-51 DCS Panel Builder with other DCS modules

Hi,

I recently purchased the regular Panel Builder (for P3D) and have been pleased with it.  I noticed that there is a version for DCS P-51.  I have a couple questions with regards to this.

1) Does this work with other DCS modules as well (Huey, Mi-8) or is it explicitly for the P-51

2) Can the interface make use of the original panel builder gauges (assuming the sim supports them) or does it just interact with the included P-51 gauges.  In other words if I wanted to make a gauge panel using the original panel builder gauges for the DCS huey, using this interface would that work

Thanks for your help

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

1. The lua Interface script that comes with the DCS Version has been made specifically for the DCS P51D cockpit instruments. But it might work with other DCS aircraft as well. We haven't done much testing though.

You can also modify the lue script to support other aircraft if required.

2. Yes, the original Panel Builder Gauges will work as well. But remember, there are only a limited number for instruments that have been implemented in the Panel Builder DCS Interface. But this can also be modified.

The file you need to modify is c:\Users\[your username here]\AppData\Roaming\simplugins\PanelManagerPRO\simPluginsDCS.ini

So basically, you can extend the DCS Interface very easy by:

1. changing the lua script to add/modify the datapoints being extracted from the DCS sim

2. changing the simPluginsDCS.ini file to reflect those changes (this file is used by the simpluginDCS Interface to send the data points to the correct port numbers of Instruments). The data point names (variable names) are fixed for each instrument. To find out what is what, go to the standard Panel Builder FSX Interface and select "Simconnect Configuration". Here you can see each instruments data points that are supported. 

If you decide to change them, make sure you keep backup copies of the files you modify (but I guess you could always re-install if required).

Thanks Reinhard,

I am not against a little work to get the desired end product I would like.  Would you mind sharing what sort of testing you have done on other aircraft and initial experiences have been.  Also I thought I read something where your company was looking at implementing switches as part of panel builder.  Is this accurate and is there a rough order of magnitude for when it might be launched

Thanks

We haven't done much testing at all. We have done some work for Flying Cliffs 2 a while back, but not much besides that. The advice I gave you is based on the software architecture we have implemented in the DCS Interface.

Yes, there is a switches add-on that will be released shortly, it will be free!