Sign in to follow this  
RookiePilot

Understanding flight navigation plan

I am trying to understand how to read navigation plan. Here's a sample plan from New York to London. As far as I understand the plan says:

1. Take off from Kennedy airport and go to JFK (VOR) by covering distance of 0.9 at heading 058

2. Then go to DUEYS (waypoint) by covering distance of 31.2 at heading 011

3. Then go to GANDE (waypoint) by covering distance of 21.2 at heading 011

Is this how you read it? What if I miss one point while flying? While my GPS correct me?

mnUzvQz.png

With your GPS active in GPS mode, the CDI on your HSI or VOR1 gauge should point you to the next waypoint at all times..

With your autopilot in NAV mode, the GPS should steer the autopilot and fly the flightplan for you..

Bert

If you miss a waypoint, there is way to tell the GPS you want to fly the next leg.

May I suggest you look in the Learning Center where it is explained.

Also, flight plans such as the one you posted can often create problems for the default ATC.

ATC will give you vectors to the first waypoint after taking off, the JFK VOR in this case, except that the course they give you will lead you away from the VOR instead of towards it.

What happens in this case is that ATC will wait for you to cross the VOR before giving you further instruction. If you follow their heading away from the VOR and never cross it, it will appear that ATC has forgotten about you.

When you see a waypoint in the Nav Log like this, that is very close to your departure airport, it is best to go back to the Edit tab and delete that waypoint..

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif