Sign in to follow this  
DcoltGaming

understanding approach charts

Hello,

I am trying to understand how I would fly this approach chart:

http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadbasic/pamslight-0565D87339666069BE0FFE7A5F7F4AFA/7FE5QZZF3FXUS/EN/Charts/AD/AIRAC/EG_AD_2_EGSC_8-5_en_2014-09-18.pdf

I think I understand most of the approach, come in via 231 degress, and follow the descent path, but I don't understand the racetrack procedure. When would it be used? also how would you fly it? I can only assume that it would be used when the aircraft comes in from a direction other than 231 degres (or maybe ones lower than the start of the DME arcs), and then you enter it, fl around until you come back to the IAF, then follow the lines?

Could someone please explain.

Regards

DcoltGaming 

You would fly as directed by atc. Enter via th dme arc from north or south as directed and then follow the loc to the rwy per the descent profile. If not using the direct entry fly to the iaf, CAM, at 3000 then outbound via the track indicated depending on your aircraft type. Make the turn at dme 8 to intercept the inbound course back to CAM (1700 at dme 8) and fly the descent profile. In real world you would rarely fly the full procedure with the outbound turn rather you would be vectored to the loc by atc.

My IFR is a little rusty, but here goes:

If you are joining direct from the north or south, you can join via the ICMG D10 arc, which is straightforward -- follow the arc, intercept the LOC, fly the descent profile and Bob's your uncle.

If for whatever reason you cannot join direct, you would need to route direct the CAM and perform a course reversal (the racetrack, which you enter the same way as you would enter a hold from various sectors). Once you are pointing in the right direction (i.e. inbound the CAM on 092) at 3000ft and you are cleared for the approach, you can then route outbound from the CAM on the appropriate QDR for your aircraft category to D8 ICMG, descending to 1700ft, then make the turn to intercept the LOC and descent profile.

EDIT: beaten to it! As mentioned above, you would almost always be radar sequenced unless you request the full procedure (i.e. for training purposes).