Sign in to follow this  
Brenchen

Career Advice in the Flight Simulation Industry

Hi all,

I have a burning passion to get into the flight simulation industry in the engineering domain as a long-term career path.  However, I don't have all the necessary experiences that CAE or Thales or the likes look for.  I do have what I consider as the appropriate qualification and some previous experience in a sim manufacturing company.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to get my foot in the door?  I am willing to travel to other countries (currently in Australia) if need be.

Thanks in advance,

Brendan

Brendan Chen

Learning to use and getting use to FSX!

Contact Lockheed Martin.... B)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Contact Lockheed Martin.... B)

Thanks for the reply Ron.  I assume you are referring to LM in the US?  What I found was that many of these military focused companies from US or Canada required that I am at least a US Citizen or bilingual (French/English), which I do not qualify for.  I have tried to look at Thales, CAE, BR&TA, LM, Raytheon, BAe, Bombardier and some other big boys I cannot quite remember, but the experience they require is where I am falling over.

I am now focusing on smaller companies but not quite sure what is out there besides ones that are renowned in the FS community.  However, I am still keeping an eye out for the bigger players in case any falls through.

Brendan Chen

Allow me to offer a modicum of encouragement.

Anyone who expresses a "burning passion" for the Flight Simulation Industry deserves to be heard and encouraged to continue his pursuits. B)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Allow me to offer a modicum of encouragement.

Anyone who expresses a "burning passion" for the Flight Simulation Industry deserves to be heard and encouraged to continue his pursuits. B)

Thank you for the kind words Ron.  When I was working for the sim company, I needed to drive 2 hours each way to work (3 to 4 days a week) and that lasted for over a year (including some road accidents avoiding them kangaroos), so with certainty, and in comparison to other work I've done, I can confidently use the words "burning passion" :)

Brendan Chen

Or Dovetail/Steam B)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Sorry I should have made it more specific.  When I say Flight Simulation I mean commercial grade Flight Training Devices, more like FDS and Cockpitsonic.

I might try sending my CV through to Redbird as well, hope they have more opening than ones advertised.

Thanks.

Brendan Chen

I might try sending my CV through to Redbird as well, hope they have more opening than ones advertised.

Well, I thought that it is encouraging that Redbird states:

If you have none of these skills but are just generally awesome at building user interfaces and aren't afraid of learning new tech, give us a shout 

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I once worked at Singer-Link in Sunnyvale, Ca, they were in business of military flight simulations, I worked on B-52 ground mapping radar simulation, others worked on B-707, etc. The level of security clearance determined what they were able to put you on, those with highest security were doing some weapon delivery simulations. It was strictly a programming job, btw assembly language, etc, the year was 1981. Their main headquarters was in Binghampton, NY, made many trips there and at night was able to get some 'sim time' on B-52, B-707, etc. The company no longer exists and Fry's Electronics is now in exact location were my cubicle was.  B)

Well, I thought that it is encouraging that Redbird states:

Wow, very encouraging indeed!  Definitely put a good application together and see how far it takes me ;)  Thanks mate

I used my initiative and Goolgled "Flight Simulator Manufacturers." This second hit was from http://halldale.com/simulation-training-directory/results/taxonomy%3A3545 which has pages of manufacturers as well as other manufacturers.

Now why didn't I think of using the word "manufacturer", that would have given me more spot-on hits than what i've been using!  I'll check through that one, thanks for that.

Brendan Chen