Sign in to follow this  
yorgosGK

[P3D] Where did 2GBs + of my VAS go?

I know there are a lot of VAS topics started in the forum about the T7 but it was in my interest to start a fresh one because the others are not FULLY quite my question/comments  B)

I am currently at CRZ (FL360) after leaving a default airport (Perth) with normal autogen and normal complexity..I only have FTX Global Base 1.3 installed and all my Vector entries are unchecked in my scenery library a long with all airports except the one I am flying into (as always when flying the T7).

I left the airport with about 1.6GBs remaining and all was good...half way into my journey now, I have less than half of that.

**warning big picture**

http://i.imgur.com/EycHfVy.jpgre

I am flying into Flytampa's Athens and I could be possibly hit with an OOM and all I have are default everything expect Global and the T7.

From take-off to CRZ in the middle of Saudi Arabia where it is literally all dessert how can I leak almost 1GB - 9hrs in? I thought I loaded almost everything in Perth.

Can someone break down why it keeps going less and less and less.....I have BELOW moderate settings, and I'm on a good system as well (4790k@4.6 & GTX980).

I have more then compensated my sliders/scenery to just fly this thing without always having to worry about an OOM. I never would of thought being almost all default would ever still risk getting slammed with an OOM.

comments, questions, concerns gentlemen?

George Kyriazis | www.georgekonline.com

ELB729.png

Use does not equal leak. If I turn my faucet on, the water is used. It only leaks when it's not supposed to be on but water still escapes.

Where did it go? Every bit that was loaded between Oz and your current location used memory. Some of that isn't returned when you leave the area, which is why it creeps. There are plenty of discussions about this all over the forum. Please have a look.

Kyle Rodgers

Use does not equal leak. If I turn my faucet on, the water is used. It only leaks when it's not supposed to be on but water still escapes.

Where did it go? Every bit that was loaded between Oz and your current location used memory. Some of that isn't returned when you leave the area, which is why it creeps. There are plenty of discussions about this all over the forum. Please have a look.

I did, none say with all default except Global base.

thanks Kyle for the explination

Global uses very little VAS especially when all autogen is set to normal. So based on your description is there a risk of an OOM even with a %99 default sim?

ELB729.png

Global uses very little VAS especially when all autogen is set to normal.

In MB how much does it use based upon what evidence?

If you are flying in a lot of cloudy weather for an extended period of time that could use a lot of VAS. The ASN program itself does not use any of your VAS but the effects it produces do use your VAS.

I have 2 layers of cloud in ASN and no REX4, i have had no significant overcast in my journy. It has been all default water and dessert.....

I have my own evidance of Global base vs default autogen and it isnt significant at all...i at least want Global with the T7...i have compensated everywhere else.

ELB729.png

I have 2 layers of cloud in ASN and no REX4, i have had no significant overcast in my journy. It has been all default water and dessert.....

Well that should not have a significant impart on your VAS. Would you consider flying just the VC and no exterior model?

George,

Slightly off topic but on topic...   what tool are you using to monitor your VAS usage via the windowed border header?   I would love that.  I have FSUPIC running in Logging mode but it scrolls by a lot of data and I miss the memory read outs most of the time.  Be nice to see them in real time in a place inside the sim window or as part of the window itself like you have in your screen cap.

EDIT:  Nevermind.. it IS FSUIPC... I just had the options wrong on the logging page!  Fixed!  Thanks!

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

no lol i love my outside views

I got the idea for elimination the exterior model from this document - http://www.limegallery.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Guide-to-getting-the-most-out-of-the-PMDG-777NG.pdf. Forgetting the exterior model suggestion, it still may have some useful information in it.

I noticed the title of this topic has P3D in it. I have only worked with FSX so I am going to bow out of this thread. Good luck.

Believe it or not I'm having the same issues, but not with the 777, I'm using the a2a Comanche. I never suffered oom's, now my sim is running slick but even with similar precautions as you have taken, I can't fly over even minimal autogen without an OOM crash. I'm going to tag along here and see what comes up, because I've tried all the tricks and got nowhere.

Memory that isn't released when no longer needed is a memory leak by definition. But that's usually an FSX problem, not a 777 one.

FSX-SE includes fixes for these well known FSX memory leak problems.

edit. Sorry, just noticed this is a P3D issue. Please disregard the FSX-SE recommendation.

ki9cAAb.jpg

I'll just chime with my 2 cents about my experiences with VAS usage in other aircraft w/ FSX(SE).

For example, I present a flight from JFK-ORD.

When I takeoff from JFK my VAS usage is around 3.1 GB with FTX Global 1.3 and Vectors, REX 3 1024 textures, Ray Smith's airport scenery, and MyTraffic 6. After takeoff and as I reach cruise, my VAS usage decreases to 2.7-2.8 GB, so VAS is released to some extent.

VAS then creeps up as I land in ORD to about 3.3 GB at the gate.

Now over the ocean and desert, my VAS usage sometimes gets as low as 1.8-2.0 GB. I don't see why there would be a lot of VAS usage anyways over these barren areas.

When I takeoff from JFK my VAS usage is around 3.1 GB with FTX Global 1.3 and Vectors, REX 3 1024 textures, Ray Smith's airport scenery, and MyTraffic 6. After takeoff and as I reach cruise, my VAS usage decreases to 2.7-2.8 GB, so VAS is released to some extent.

I will re-creat this scenerio and see where it gets me! Thanks for your info.

ELB729.png

I decided to fly this flight on my FSX-SE system with the 772LR to see how my system would fair and had no issues. I started out with 1.38GB available (FSUIPC) At takeoff I was down to 1.29GB during cruise to TOD 1.25-1.26GB, on touchdown 1.0GB and at gate 898MB available. Like the OP I use  FTX Global Base, no FTX Vector, but do use  UTX Europe. and both airports were Freeware AFCADS. My settings are Water 2Xlow, Texture_Max_Load=2048, Scenery Density Extremely dense, Autogen Normal, no traffic. Weather ASN with REX Essential OD Textures, and I use DX10 mode (with DX10 Fixer). I do fly at only 1280x768x32 due to limitation of my projector,  Resolution though is more a function of  video memory, so that shouldn't affect VAS to much if at all.

Now here's the kicker, my system is a 3Ghz E6850 C2D, 4B memory running 32bit Vista. This limits the APP to 3GB VAS, so if I was on a 64bit system, I should have an extra gig available to those numbers. I thought P3D V2.5 implemented similar VAS management improvements like DT did with FSX-SE?

Tom Cain

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I will re-creat this scenerio and see where it gets me! Thanks for your info.

I just want to note that is with the DX10 Fixer installed, which has decreased my VAS about 0.5 GB on average across all phases of flight.