Sign in to follow this  
Tom_G_2010

To Linda or not to Linda? That is the question.

Hi,

I am a Sim Pit builder and over the course of the last few years have taught myself a little bit about coding.  For my pit build it's mostly the C++ subset that Arduino uses and some Lua code through FSUIPC.  A few years back I tried using Linda but at that time decided I wanted to go the route of doing all my own coding.

I just started using the A2A 172 and am hoping to also install their 182.  As I start to work through the LVars for the 172 I've hit a few walls and can't seem to code my way around them.  While out googling around for the answer sure enough I find people talking about how they are using Linda for the A2A 172 with great success.  So I'm back again debating whether to give Linda another try...

I just looked at the install notes for the latest version and had a flash of recall from my first test drive with Linda.  Since then I have a fair amount of my own Lua scripts and a fairly extensive setup of switches and Axis in my pit via FSUIPC for my current aircraft and pit configuration.

Am I understanding the install notes correctly, Do I have to discard all my current FSUIPC settings and Lua scripts?  Is Linda an all or none proposition or can it coexist with what I currently have?

I'm not asking for any guarantee of compatibility or a detailed review of my current setup either would be an unreasonable ask on my part.  I just want to know if it's possible conceptually for Linda to be added to what I already have rather than  replacing it.  I just can't fathom tossing all the hours I've put into things so far. 

Thanks!

Tom G.

Hi Tom

Welcome back to LINDA.  I am one of the 2 current developers for LINDA concentrating on the core LINDA code but presently taking a summer break due to real world work.  My colleague Guenseli is the expert on the aircraft modules including the A2A 172 and 182.  LINDA provides a simple to assign and programmable means of interfacing between user devices and FSX/P3D via FSUIPC.

To answer your questions.  The installation notes are primarily aimed at new users to LINDA.  With so many system configurations out there, it is very difficult to provide support without a common baseline.  However, FSUIPC settings can be used alongside LINDA provided that actions are not duplicated in both.  Otherwise, conflicts will occur that can confuse you.  I have deleted all FSX default functions for my joysticks and throttle devices in favour of LINDA ones.  It is recommended that fast acting and repeating functions (such as thrust reverse) are best implemented in FSUIPC and not LINDA. I have no experience with Lua scripts but the same should apply to them.

At present I recommend you try LINDA 2.6.3 v2 available on the download forum (2.6.3 v3 causes some range check error messages).

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

Thought I'd throw my experience with LINDA in...

I have a mix of LINDA and LUA scripts.  I had more LUA but, I have since, converted most of those to LINDA since it makes them easier to maintain.  With a few clicks I can edit the script within LINDA and reassign it to another button or switch.  Simple.  I do have other scripts...some for event monitoring which can't really be done with LINDA scripts very well...one for an aircraft that is almost completely LINDA incompatible (almost no FSX commands nor offsets work with it) that I use mouseclick macros with.  So, LUA has it's place and is useful, but LINDA does most of the work. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Gregg, Thanks for the additional input.  Knowing that it's possible and that others are actually doing it makes me feel a lot better about deciding to give it another go.  And, I think the A2A C172 is a good candidate for it so I'll be trying ti out this week for sure.

Also a word from my side:

LINDA IS LUA!

Of course, in the back, we run LUA scripts. LINDA could be described as GUI for FSUIPC LUA scripts.

To make the GUI work properly, the scripts have to have certain namings, e.g. the main LUA script for an addon is named always actions.lua.

What happens inside this script is completely up to the users, they just have to follow some LINDA-special rules, but that is obvidously and not that diffivult for someone with a bit LUA experience.

So, you can of course rewrite the modules to your own needs. And if you have any improvements, we will add this to the "official" modules.

On the other you can feel free to use the code/parts of the code for your own LUA scripts (as long as you don't share them without credits or make the big mones with them)

---------

to answer the inital question:

it is relatively simle to backup your modules folder, delete your current FSUIPC.ini file and start from scratch to try LINDA. If you don't like it, simply delete the modules folder and copy back the original one.

LINDA and FSUIPC (and LUA scripts executed with FSUIPC) can coexist as long as you take care to have no doubled assignments, of course

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------