Sign in to follow this  
AwesomeGuy375

Opinions about the PMDG 737 (Is it showing its age?)

Hey everyone! Today I wanted to see some recent opinions on the PMDG 737 for Prepar3d. I'm considering buying it, but with its high price, i'd like to know some experiences everyone else has had with it. One thing that concerns me is how old it is, as its over 3 years, but i also know there's been updates to it. I very much enjoy the visual graphics of an add-on, but i also would like it accurate (knowing PMDG it shouldn't be a problem). I'm looking for a step up from the Aerosoft A320, and move into something more complex and I'm hoping this is it. The reason I'm skeptical, is like i said, its age, but I've also noticed that Quality Wings is working on a new 737, and I'm debating whether or not i should wait for it and see if its any better. I've never had a quality wings aircraft, so i'm not very aware on how accurate they are. Any comments regarding knowledge of the Quality Wings upcoming 737 or the PMDG 737 in comparison would be much appreciated! Have a great day :)

Well, the PMDG certainly is not outdated or looks it. And the QW models will consist of the 737 Classic line, not the NG.

The PMDG 737, for me, hasn't shown it's age at all. I've bought it again for P3D, and use it there. I love the shadowing and HDR P3D give me, and the 737 absolutely pops with these additional details. Also, they've just updated it with a Weather Radar, making it even more fun to use!

Systems-wise, it is bar-none the best simulation of the 737NG on the market.. You will NOT find anything that surpasses the level of detail and sheer system-depth that this aircraft has.

The only gripe I know of with the aircraft is that the VC geometry (cockpit windows are too large) is slightly off. They've said that a fix will eventually come, even so, it's really not as bothersome as most make it out to be.

Aamir Thacker

When it comes to addons, it isn't how "old" the addon is, it's what you're looking for. 

The PMDG NGX has by far the best 737NG graphics and systems ever developed on flight sim. PMDG came out with a systems update just this year, so they're still keeping the aircraft up to date - adding in the weather radar and other fixes. 

3HSAJHT.png

TFDi Design

Doesn't show any age whatsoever. Still the best aircraft addon I own.

I prefer flying smaller planes but...even compared to many of those small planes, it's immensely stable, very complete, and pretty easy on framerates. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Lifespan support for PMDG is exemplary. Can't say the same for QW. Factor into the cost of ownership how long before the developer stops developing and bug-fixing after release, and PMDG are usually among the best value in the industry. Certainly as far as tubeliners are concerned. 

QW has a lower level of QA than PMDG and a shorter attention span - i.e. a number of problems, bugs and deficiencies in the 146/RJ that were carried over from FSX but development has now been abandoned. So while the free portover seemed like good value at the time against the PMDG `pay again` policy, it doesn't seem so a year or two later.

Just my opinion.

The PMDG 737NGX is the plane I fly 99% of my flight sim time.  It is the most solid, stable and beautiful of all the 737 simulations out there.   I would not fly any other 737 pit.    It is a joy to fly and a joy to paint liveries for.   In P3D it looks even more stunning to me with added DX11 effects.   Just a perfect plane that I will continue to fly for many more years to come.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Is it capable of doing RF leg types or DME arcs yet? That was always an issue for me. I use the iFly 737 that also works well and has many variant options.

Cheers

Steve Hall

Is it capable of doing RF leg types or DME arcs yet? That was always an issue for me. I use the iFly 737 that also works well and has many variant options.

The topic is about  the pmdg 737  and not  the ifly version  I see  what you were trying  to do  start a ifly  v pmdg debate

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

No intention of starting a debate. That has already been covered ad nauseam in other posts. Opinions were sought by the original poster on the PMDG 737. The lack of RF leg types and DME arcs may be an issue for the poster....maybe not. Many airports now have procedures requiring the use of RF leg types. This is something he may wish to explore and he may also like to know that there are other options that are capable of this.

Cheers

Steve Hall