Sign in to follow this  
kxiao

Payware Jet Round-Up

After a 9 month hiatus from flightsimming, I've begun to get back into things. I'd like to purchase some more jets, but I'm not really sure where to go. I currently own the PMDG 737 NGX (my only payware or freeware plane). I'd like to get a smaller regional jet as well as a larger jet (for cross country or transatlantic flights).

I'm looking at purchasing:

• Feelthere Embraer E-Jets 175/195
  • Aerosoft CRJ700/900(unreleased)
  • Aerosoft A318/319/320/321
  • PMDG 777.

Questions:

Are there any other high quality jets that could compare with the models I've listed?

Are there any high quality larger airbus jets (ie. A340 and bigger)?

Which of these jets would be the easiest to learn?

Unrelated, but is it worth upgrading from UTX and GEX to UTX v2 and GEX v2?

The PMDG 777 is a must have in my opinion. I enjoy flying it so much. There are a few niggles about it such as it not supporting ALL weather engines for the weather radar but other than that, it's definitely worth the price.

The Aerosoft airbus is fun, but not as in-depth as PMDG's aircraft. It has a good rendition of the FBW logic, but not perfect, however that is a limitation of the sim and not Aerosoft. It also lacks the visual aesthetics (at least in my opinion) of PMDG; no winglex, the way the exterior reacts to lighting within the sim looks a bit odd to me - shouldn't matter since you fly inside the plane anyway - and the VC is a bit of a FPS hog. It's good fun if you enjoy short hops with lots of sectors, though. I'd still recommend it!

I upgraded both GEX North America and UTX USA from v1 to v2 and it was very well worth it, especially since they had upgrade coupons.   The night lighting that is part of the new UTX version is stunning.

I don't have the Feelthere E-Jets, but I do have their ERJ 135/145 package and it is quite good, if a little dated. 

The Quality Wings Ultimate 146 package is terrific.   If you want a nice regional, this is a great package.   Plenty of systems depth, great sound, great VC, great flight modeling.

The Captain Sim L1011 is very nice.   Gorgeous, actually, and it has great systems and flight model as well.

And if you have any liking for older, analog birds, the Coolsky DC-9 is top shelf.  It has it all: deep systems, gorgeous exterior and VC (by McPhat, they rule!),  awesome sounds,  awesome flight model, great support.

David Norman Paul

I know you said jet, but if for a regional aircraft you should definitely consider the Majestic Q400. It's (almost) as fast as an RJ, and is easily one of the best aircraft in my library. VC looks good, systems give PMDG a run for their money and the flight model is easily one of the best I've ever seen. 

Joe Sherrill

I've just dusted off my E-jets again and really enjoying them on a tour of the Caribbean, systems aren't as complex as the NGX but a joy to fly... Easy on the frames too.

I'd echo ExNusquam's suggestion for the Q400, without a doubt one of the best planes in my hangar. If you do get the Q400, I'd recommend the Airline2Sim training to go with it - these instructional videos are fantastic and make the Q400 even more fun to fly, properly.

B.

WW1294.png

Another vote for the Aerosoft Airbus bundle.  You get a heck of a lot in the package for the money you outlay.

know you said jet, but if for a regional aircraft you should definitely consider the Majestic Q400.

+1+1+1. A spot on rendition of an incredibly popular "propjet". It's on my must have list.

I upgraded both GEX North America and UTX USA from v1 to v2 and it was very well worth it, especially since they had upgrade coupons.   The night lighting that is part of the new UTX version is stunning.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find the upgrade coupons?

Also, I'm not really interested in turboprops or planes not flown by American airlines, so the Dash 8 and QW 146 aren't really my style.

I'm not really interested in turboprops or planes not flown by American airlines, so the Dash 8 and QW 146 aren't really my style.

I'm not sure if you meant American Airlines (the company) or American airlines (any airline based in the US) but if it's the latter, there plenty of Dash8 flights run by companies in the US. Horizon, owned by Alaskan Airlines, runs lots of interesting flights out of Alaska, and all along the west coast. I can also attest to the fact that the Majestic version is an incredible add-on.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find the upgrade coupons?

Also, I'm not really interested in turboprops or planes not flown by American airlines, so the Dash 8 and QW 146 aren't really my style.

The coupons were on the Flight1 website.  Not sure if they still have that deal or not.

The 146/RJ was pretty popular with several US based regionals a few years ago.  There are several of them still flying here.   But, hey, if you're not feeling it, you're not feeling it.  

*** EDIT ***

I just checked, and the 50% off upgrade coupons are still on each product's download/information page at Flight1.   Go for it.  You will be happy.

David Norman Paul

So... I just got off a United flight (ERJ 170) to Chicago and lo and behold, I saw a United Dash-8 in the gate next to mine.

Can someone with experience with both the Dash-8 and turbofan planes explain some of the basic differences between them? Ie What would I have to learn or get used to?

I have the 777 and I actually don't like it for some reason. If you want a good jet, go for the PMDG MD-11 - amazing badass plane.

Can someone with experience with both the Dash-8 and turbofan planes explain some of the basic differences between them? Ie What would I have to learn or get used to?

You have to use rudder in the Q400. 

That's pretty much it, compared to other regional aircraft. There's no autothrottle, but no aircraft in that class has one. I think the cockpit is slightly busier than other smaller regional aircraft, but as long as you can read a tutorial it's not hard to get used to. 

Joe Sherrill

+1 for the 777 and also the Q400 and QW 146 packages.  I've got all three of these installed and wouldn't give up any. 

The QW 146/BAE is one of the most overlooked addons for FSX, imho.  It is deep enough for many systems-focused simmers and has excellent polish overall.  It is worth a whole lot more than the asking price.

I am not terribly impressed by the Aerosoft Airbii after being spoiled by the NGX.  I hope the upcoming CRJ is much better.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

I'm not sure if you meant American Airlines (the company) or American airlines (any airline based in the US) but if it's the latter, there plenty of Dash8 flights run by companies in the US. Horizon, owned by Alaskan Airlines, runs lots of interesting flights out of Alaska, and all along the west coast. I can also attest to the fact that the Majestic version is an incredible add-on.

Horizon is about 90% Q400s on their routes throughout the Pacific Northwest....planes are now all in Alaska colors plus their state university birds...