Sign in to follow this  
Hao Henry

YSSY-VHHH OOM

Have a read though my guide in my sig

That I can recommend to read either you use P3D or FSX. Very good guide you have made there David ^_^

VAS use is an issue that requires the full picture.

You have a limited number of bits. When you hit the maximum number of bits, you're out of memory and the program quits. Everything you see in the sim uses memory. For some reason, people seem to concentrate on the aircraft (which is why the OOM threads seemingly end up here). Our aircraft do use more memory than some of the simpler offerings out there, but most VAS use comes from scenery (necessarily so, if you want higher visual realism). Other addons have a highly variable amount of VAS use (again, necessarily so).

If you don't have a program crash one day, but you have one on another day, then it's likely it's "caused" by the variable amount used by one of the variable addons. The usual suspect in this case would be a weather addon.

We have been pretty candid about the facts surrounding this issue, and have even provided possible remedies to help guide people in cutting VAS use back slightly. Where you're willing to cut back on detail to help cut back on VAS use is entirely personal, as some are more willing to sacrifice weather visuals, whereas others are more apt to cut back on autogen, or airport detail, or shadows, and so on.

There is no "fix" for this. There's a conscious evaluation of where you want to cut. It's like a budget: you have a set amount of money. What you do with it is up to you, but you can't use more than you have.

Kyle Rodgers

That I can recommend to read either you use P3D or FSX. Very good guide you have made there David ^_^

Thank you

There is no "fix" for this. There's a conscious evaluation of where you want to cut. It's like a budget: you have a set amount of money. What you do with it is up to you, but you can't use more than you have.

yep that's a good sum up.

But you can make changers to help. Perhaps change my guide to "how to spent your VAS budget"  :smile:

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I see these items appear again and again on threads about OOMs.

FTX Global is fine and uses the same size textures and stock FSX and GEX. Since it just replaces the default textures with a new set the same size it doesn't cause any difference in VAS usage.

FTX Vector on the other hand can take a large toll on VAS usage if all the options are used. UTXv1 or v2 can cause the same high VAS usage if to many options are turned on. I don't have Vector but I do own UTX and it's UI let's you know how much of a performance hit you can expect using certain vector drawn items like residential roads and things of that nature. If I turn on all the UTX option and try to fly I can immediately tell the difference in not only FPS but VAS usage.

If you're primarily flying airliners, there are a lot of unnecessary features that can be turned off in UTX and Vector to save VAS and FPS.

Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I believe that, once an airport is loaded, much of the memory used is maintained even though you have flown away from the airport. Then, when you approach your destination, another set of airport scenery is loaded. This may then cause an OOM.

My solution has been to:

• start my flight at an airport for which I already have a saved file
  • move the aircraft to the departure airport for my current flight (I now have 2 airports loaded)
  • save the situation flight at that airport
  • exit the simulator and then restart and load the saved file (I now have only a single airport loaded
  • during flight, save the current situation and exit the simulator
  • restart the simulator with the in-flight save and continue to the destination (with only a single airport loaded as I approach the airport).
I hope this may help.
I think you could save yourself a lot of that preparation. Simply save the flight enroute and then restart FSX and load the flight save. It won't reload your origin airport scenery as it isn't near to the current position.

Even better is to use autosave. Then you will always have a recent flight saved in case you get OOM warnings and need to restart. No OOM warnings and you have an uninterrupted flight.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Hi Kev,

I already do the autosave every 30 mins with FSUIPC as you suggest. The only thing is that my little brain hadn't thought of just reloading the autosave mid-flight (and potentially losing up to 30 mins of the flight). Good idea!

Cheers, R 

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

It also might be a good ide to delete all the unnecessary files that FSUIPC saves in example \Fsx\PMDG\PMDG777\Panelstate folder. It can be lots of thousands of files based on how often you save your flights. I have standard that I clean of those files everytime I have been finish with a flight.

Hi Kev,

I already do the autosave every 30 mins with FSUIPC as you suggest. The only thing is that my little brain hadn't thought of just reloading the autosave mid-flight (and potentially losing up to 30 mins of the flight). Good idea!

Cheers, R 

I have my autosave set for once per minute. Not sure if that's possible with the FSUIPC system, I use a freeware save utility. I need to be able to reconnect quite close to where it crashed or my VA ACARs won't allow the reconnection and the flight is lost.

It also might be a good ide to delete all the unnecessary files that FSUIPC saves in example \Fsx\PMDG\PMDG777\Panelstate folder. It can be lots of thousands of files based on how often you save your flights. I have standard that I clean of those files everytime I have been finish with a flight.

Yes you can end up with an awful lot of files. I wrote a batch file to delete them for all my addons (and in the main flight save folder). It's a one click clean up process rather than a lot of manual file deletions.

ki9cAAb.jpg

That you can do also. I just drag the mouse over all the files starting with Autosave and hit the shift+delete buttons :P

My preference, instead of autosave, is to simply save before TOD. It's become a habit and quite easy to do even if unattended because there is an option for a pause right where you need it.  I often get back over 800 mb of VAS after save/exit/load sequence and it allows me to spend more of my "budget" where I want to.... hey, that Vector N.Calif coastline is awesome even at flight levels.

This works 99% of the time.

However, Aerosoft PANC to FSDT KLAX does require save/exit/load at both TOC and TOD... all the fault of that beautiful scenery (and Aerosoft's complete abandonment of constraint).

Dan Downs KCRP