Sign in to follow this  
Poppet

what Headset for ATC

I'm just wondering what Headset people are using for your ATC software. Thinking about buying a set.

Also, I take it, it has to have a Mic

Hi Elaine

I currently use the Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D wireless headset.  It works really well and attaches the TrackIR clip Pro really nicely.    However, given that it's wireless you have to be sure it's fully charged before you start flying.  I have been caught before with dead headphones while in the middle of my SID on VATSIM. :)  That's the only drawback.  But they are good headphones.

I use this one. Works great and is comfortable to wear and inexpensive. http://www.amazon.com/Creative-HS800-Fatal1ty-Gaming-Headset/dp/B002DS4HTM

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I like the corsair vengeance. The wireless

One you can charge while you use it.

Regards TED Kiser

Depends largely on your own personal preference and what you're planning to do with it. The big closed-back designs seem to be in fashion at the moment, but personally I would go for a more lightweight open-backed model, which should be more comfortable to wear over long periods (and doesn't seal you off from the outside world quite as much), especially if it's just for ATC and you're going to have the engine sounds etc coming through the main PC speakers (which is a good idea as it will make the comms more intelligible).

At the moment I use a Telex Airman 750 which I picked up cheap from a well-known auction site and built a little adapter to power the mic, but previously I had a Plantronics DSP300 for many years.

Ideally what you're looking for is a USB model -- this will appear as a separate audio device when you plug it in and enable you to easily split FSX sounds vs ATC comms. Having said that, most modern PC sound cards do now provide the option to split, for example, the front and rear outputs, though if you're unfamiliar with how to do this you might need to dig around the audio settings a bit.

Hope that helps!

I use this one. Works great and is comfortable to wear and inexpensive.

+1

This is a really nice set, great Mic and it has lasted longer than any other headset I have owned.

A Classic

414ZSVlsFyL._SX466_.jpg

Thank you guys for the reply's,  great stuff,  loads of information there  B)    

Oh and another thing.   When you's are siming, do you have your ATC sound's coming through your headset separate to your plane sounds coming through the speakers?   I suppose it makes sense alright but you would have to have the room to yourself really as the partners would want to watch tele  :rolleyes:

Sennheiser PC 8 USB - Stereo USB Headset

Bert

Sennheiser PC 161 here, connected to a separate cheap sound card.  I've had these for a few years (they've likely been replaced with a newer model now), and they work very well.  Great noise cancelling microphone.  Works well with speech recognition, even with a lot of other noise in the room (engine sounds from the speakers, etc.).  Also sounds excellent for music listening.

I highly recommend Sennheiser products!

Cheers,

Gerald

I really like Sennheiser.  Have a wireless version for my home theatre.  Used them back in the days when I was a DJ spinning records (yes, vinyl!).

I use a Turtle Beach Ear Force X12, with base numbing boost.  Have my Track-IR clip on them.  Had them several years and have stood the test of time.  I am sure there is something equivalent these days.

I guess my only wish is that Track-IR would come out with a wireless clip that way I could up my Turtles to a wireless headset.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I have settled on the Logitech 930.   For some reason amazon.co.uk wouldn't deliver them to Ireland,  and if i was to buy them from the Logitech website they would cost me 200 Euro including delver,  so i went onto Amazon.com and they were only 81 Dollars so including a 2/4 day delivery from America i got them for 153 Euro,  very happy with myself.  

I wanted to go bigger and more expensive but i also want to get the Warhog stick pretty soon which is 450 Euro  :(   So i keep it reasonable  

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Gaming-Headset-Surround/dp/B003VANOFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435778528&sr=8-1&keywords=logitech+930

Thank you for all help  :rolleyes:

I went through quite a few different headsets until I settled on these.

http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-GameCom-780-Headset-Surround/dp/B00B1KJK22

I have kinda big ears and these have been the most comfortable set I have ever used. Countless 12+ hour sessions with them on and I still recommend. Full Dolby 7.1 (virtual) that can be switched on and off right on the headset if you would rather have 2.1 at times. And the software has a couple of different processing modes you can choose.

The only area that the headset is lacking is in the bass department. But from what I understand that is a common thing among that are not powered like the TB X12's are.

Hope this helps you make an informed decision.

Matt Bernard
20+ Years Commercial/GA A&P/PLST