Sign in to follow this  
leefree

Prepar3D Believer

Took a gamble and made the switch over to Prepar3D from trying to get FSX to run on my machine which consists of:

GPU: GeForce GTX 650Ti
CPU: AMD Phenom 2 X6 1045T Processor
Memory: 16 GB of Ram
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P Motherboard
Hardrive: Seagate 2TB

I'm getting better frame rates with this simulator as opposed to FSX. Graphic sliders are on medium and its just great. Was wondering if this setup would also do this simulator justice?

AMD FX 8350 4.0 GHz (4.2 GHz Turbo) Eight Core
Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard
8 GB DDR3
500 or 600 Watt Power Supply
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 SLI Support SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card

Moving from FSX to P3D is like driving a Cadillac after owning a Yugo. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Moving from FSX to P3D is like driving a Cadillac after owning a Yugo. 

1+ I prefer to use my new Stingray as an analogy :)

Rich Sennett

Go with an Intel CPU.

I considered that for FSX :)

I was considering one of these:

Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Quad Core i7 3770K 3.9 GHz
8 GB of 1600 MHz DDR3 Ram
500 Watt Power Supply or 600 Watt

AMD FX 8350 4.0 GHz (4.2 GHz Turbo) Eight Core
Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard
8 GB DDR3
500 or 600 Watt Power Supply
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 SLI Support SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card

+1 I prefer to use our old Ford Focus as an analogy :/

+1 I prefer to use our old Ford Focus as an analogy :/

:lol:

Rich Sennett

I have the oc 8350 (4.3 GHz) together with an oc 780 gtx and while the graphic card is bored I will for sure switch to an Intel processor. My last Intel was a p2 450 so I should be an AMD fan, but this processor is slower than an Intel one at all. If you are able to, take an Intel.

It's more than likely Prepar3d actually using all six of those cores of your AMD CPU instead of FSX struggling to manage them that is making a big difference. :)

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

It's more than likely Prepar3d actually using all six of those cores of your AMD CPU instead of FSX struggling to manage them that is making a big difference. :)

I'm wondering if I just need to buy a more updated graphics card? Right now I have the GTX 640ti but maybe a GTX 780 Ti 2 GB superclocked would help out even more.

I still can't believe anyone would spend that much for an American car. Nothing against you Rich, it's your money, but as a fellow American, I wouldn't spend more than 10k for any car we built by any of the US car manufacturers. I don't care what it looks like or how fast it goes, I'd still know that's it's a GM or Ford. Ironically, a lot of my family works for GM at various assembly plants around the country and can get me amazing discounts on any GM, and I still refuse to buy, lol.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I still can't believe anyone would spend that much for an American car

All cars are money pits - for the money this car cant be beat and the quality now is way beyond anything in the past - worth every cent :)

Rich Sennett

All cars are money pits

Exactly, I don't think anything can lose its value faster than an automobile.

for the money this car cant be beat and the quality now is way beyond anything in the past - worth every cent :)

I don't know how much they are since I've seen them listed from anywhere from 55k to 80k, maybe even more for the most deluxe model. But for that much I can't help but think about what I could get in a Mercedes or BMW, maybe even a Porsche.

Granted the Corvette will probably be faster, but any American car for me just doesn't come with the same prestige value as a high end Bimmer, Benz, Porsche, or other Euro car.

Again, nothing against you Rich and I'm happy you like it, just my personal opinion which is neither right or wrong.

I guess I've always just preferred imports be it Euro or Asian. I have a 3 year old M3 coupe with some performance work done. While it's probably not as fast as a Vette, it's no slouch either, and both get lousy gas milage and require premium unleaded which was a killer a few years ago when it was hovering around $5 a gallon and needed to be refilled multiple times a week, lol.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi lee,

when it comes to hardware and P3D2 there is nothong like intel+nVidia, unfortunately. If your current system can cope with P3D and you you have plans for a new system go for an intel CPU and an nVidia GPU. 

I started with an i7 3770k oc'ed 4,6GHz and an GTX 780ti. It was a pretyy good system for P3D. I could run medium to high settings at reasonable frames (30-40fps most of the times) To have more headroom i switched to an i7 5820k oc'ed 4,3GHz and an SLI GTX 980. Pretty beefy sys and since nvidia provided a SLI profile for P3D i can go aup a bit higher in the settings an get smooth overall performance.

My suggestion, do not waste money on AMD. It might be good for gaming but not for P3D sorry. 

When it comes to US cars i stick with my old V8 Mustang '68. Ok i cant get faster than 75-80 mph for the benefit of fuel consumption ;) but the sound of the V8 is the ultimate one :D And til now it didnt left me standing in the rain ;) 

When it comes to modern cars i stick with BMW :)

• Upvote 1

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

I'm wondering if I just need to buy a more updated graphics card? Right now I have the GTX 640ti but maybe a GTX 780 Ti 2 GB superclocked would help out even more.

Well, clock-to-clock the Intel CPUs still beat the pants off of AMD, so upgrading your CPU will help. However, the bigger and faster the GPU the higher your FPS will be. Value-wise, AMD still beats the pants off of Intel, but when it comes to GPUs they have lagged behind NVidia in the price-to-performance margin.

I think when it comes down to it, the bigger the better and there is no way around it.

As far as flight simming goes, Intel and NVidia are the way to go, but you can make due with AMD products if needed.

• Upvote 1

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato