Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

Hawker FLC does work

Well it seems there is a switch that no one knows about that turns it on - this guy makes some great videos and actually going to incorporate the gtn750 on the second video to land with it time on video for flc info at 16:37 - well done Fsmania

Rich Sennett

Be aware that setting the VS with the trim wheel before takeoff will not work if you are using Burt's mod. You have to click VS once airborne. It only appears to work in the unmodified version.

Be aware that setting the VS with the trim wheel before takeoff will not work if you are using Burt's mod. You have to click VS once airborne. It only appears to work in the unmodified version.

Thanks just using fms version as its so easy to use

Rich Sennett

Thanks for posting this Richard.  In part 2 of this video I performed a mid-air magical upgrade to Bert's GTN mod and used it for the descent and approach into Dutch Harbor.  It's good to have several options and techniques for getting this girl up and back down again.  I will say, it is one of the easier planes to land that I have flown in a while.  She really flies very well when you finally figure out what works and what doesn't.  Thanks again for the plug and thanks to Bert for his GTN mod!  Cheers.  Tim

Thanks for posting this Richard.  In part 2 of this video I performed a mid-air magical upgrade to Bert's GTN mod and used it for the descent and approach into Dutch Harbor.  It's good to have several options and techniques for getting this girl up and back down again.  I will say, it is one of the easier planes to land that I have flown in a while.  She really flies very well when you finally figure out what works and what doesn't.  Thanks again for the plug and thanks to Bert for his GTN mod!  Cheers.  Tim

Your the man Tim - you should pick up my repaints - links below - thanks again for the excellent videos :)

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/470196-hawker-stunning-must-see/

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/470523-your-limo-awaits/

Rich Sennett

Hi ,It is very frustrating to watch all these videos about this aircraft when ,after 6 weeks, I cannot get past this slow framerate problem,which, for me (and I believe some others) renders it as only a static ground model. There has been no help from Carenado of any substance. Perhaps they are more concerned with their new Piper Navajo (or am I being cynical?

Hi ,It is very frustrating to watch all these videos about this aircraft when ,after 6 weeks, I cannot get past this slow framerate problem,which, for me (and I believe some others) renders it as only a static ground model. There has been no help from Carenado of any substance. Perhaps they are more concerned with their new Piper Navajo (or am I being cynical?

That navajo is not that impressive nor that Phenom 300 from the shots I have seen it seems there texturing quality is not the same - just don look like the hawker anyway back on topic are you using P3D ? something else on your system is messing with it has to be as this bird gets 60 fps inside in out at unlimited fps - we need to figure this out Dave any input on your side would help

Rich Sennett

Thank you Tim for your entertaining and instructional videos. We, the flight sim community, really appreciate it.

Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

FL ALERT has absolutely nothing to do with FLC at all. FL ALERT is the audio sound you hear when you cross within 1000' of the selected altitude value displayed above your altitude tape. That's all that setting is about. If this affects FLC then Carenado pretty much made things up with regards to this aircraft's avionics.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

FL ALERT has absolutely nothing to do with FLC at all. FL ALERT is the audio sound you hear when you cross within 1000' of the selected altitude value displayed above your altitude tape. That's all that setting is about. If this affects FLC then Carenado pretty much made things up with regards to this aircraft's avionics.

Ah back to square one again - man

Rich Sennett

Ed is exactly right.  FL Alert is only for the audible warning ON/OFF in the real aircraft.  Apparently in the Carenado version it doesn't do anything.  I just completed three test takeoffs in the 1.2 SP Version of the Hawker 850XP:

Takeoff 1) FL Alert = OFF.  I used the Altitude selector knob to set initial altitude to 7000 ft.  I used the pitch wheel to move the VS indicator on the speed tape to 2000 FPM thereby also moving the flight director bar up to approx. 10 degree nose up pitch.  Selected HDG mode.  Did a normal takeoff.  Engaged the AP Autopilot at 1000 ft.  Engaged "FLC" at 200 Knots.  The nose pitched up and the aircraft climbed rapidly and pretty much maintained the 200 knots.  At 6000 feet I got the audible warning for 1000 to go (in spite of leaving the FL Alert = Off).  The aircraft leveled off roughly at the 7000 ft target altitude and ultimately captured it.

Takeoff 2)  FL Alert = ON  I used the same procedure described somewhere else in this forum; set initial altitude with Altitude selector knob, press Altitude selector knob and the Alt key to cancel the ALTS mode.  Use the pitch wheel to command a 10 to 12 degree climb out pitch.  Use HDG mode.  Normal takeoff, engage autopilot, engage FLC at desired climb speed.  The aircraft climbed through the target altitude and no audible warning was received. 

Based on those two test I think I can safely assert that "FL Alert ON/OFF" don't do squat on this model.  The key to success with the "FLC" mode seems to be in the pre-takeoff mode selections and key strokes pertaining to Altitude.  I did a third take-off with the same method as Takeoff 1 described above, and achieved the same results.

Sheesh, such is the life of a Carenado Hawker Driver :unsure:  Trial and error, guess work, and patience.  Very sorry for the confusion about the FL Alert setting.  It was pretty much a coincidence I found that menu setting (not in the documentation) and used the Takeoff 1 procedure (above) on the same flight.  Incorrectly assumed the FL Alert = On setting was the key to success for proper FLC function when it was really just the initial autopilot setup method that worked. 

I think we can all agree better documentation would be helpful to avoid unnecessary confusion.  Seems like a simple fix, and yet.... :wacko:

Even I screw up... FL ALERT means it will alert you at the transition altitude. From the documentation:

When enabled, the flight level 180 alert causes the display to flash when entering FL180 from below 17800 feet and when the setting is not STD. Also when descending through FL180 from above 18500 feet and the barometric setting is STD. The transition FL may be changed on the DEFAULTS page as required.

But it still has nothing to do with FLC. LOL

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Ed is exactly right.  FL Alert is only for the audible warning ON/OFF in the real aircraft.  Apparently in the Carenado version it doesn't do anything.  I just completed three test takeoffs in the 1.2 SP Version of the Hawker 850XP:

Takeoff 1) FL Alert = OFF.  I used the Altitude selector knob to set initial altitude to 7000 ft.  I used the pitch wheel to move the VS indicator on the speed tape to 2000 FPM thereby also moving the flight director bar up to approx. 10 degree nose up pitch.  Selected HDG mode.  Did a normal takeoff.  Engaged the AP Autopilot at 1000 ft.  Engaged "FLC" at 200 Knots.  The nose pitched up and the aircraft climbed rapidly and pretty much maintained the 200 knots.  At 6000 feet I got the audible warning for 1000 to go (in spite of leaving the FL Alert = Off).  The aircraft leveled off roughly at the 7000 ft target altitude and ultimately captured it.

Good info take all I can get on this Hawker - thanks Guys

Rich Sennett

Actually that would be a welcomed feature for me as I sometimes forget to change the altimeter to 29.92" at FL180 and receive strongly worded complaints from offended viewers.  I just tried a climb up to FL210 in the Hawker with "FL Alert" set to "ON", alas, no warning or annunciation was forthcoming :unsure:

At no point did I state it worked. LOL :)

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69