Sign in to follow this  
iainsmith

Considering going back to FSX Boxed

Hello all. I don't know whether anyone else has noticed this but I used to find that there was a frame rate and smoothness improvement with FSX-SE but it seems that all the updates that keep being applied to Steam just detract from FSX-SE's performance. Maybe it is my imagination but I can't, at present, see any reason to stay with SE, so I am considering going back to FSX Boxed.

Iain Smith

Iain,

Your not alone, indeed went to SE and started to get worse performance..I think it's down to systems as the consensus would say otherwise.

I am back on boxed now, however I now developed since going back a very bad jerk / pause every so often even the though I did a through Un install of SE and graphics drivers etc...and running dx10 which I did before using SE brings the fps down even further.

I am now waiting to upgrade to Win 10 rather than re install 7 ..no doubt I have a hot seen file somewhere deep in the Reg bugging the system..or the GC has started to give up

Well that t wouldn't be FSX without all this bother would it!

All the best

Mark

Hi Mark, thanks for your reply. I'm interested in what you say about jerk/pauses as I started getting those in SE. It is almost as if something is running in the background and interfering with FS accessing files.

I still have boxed installed on my machine so it will be easy enough to see if the same problem is there.

I'll let you know what I find.

Iain

Hello all. I don't know whether anyone else has noticed this but I used to find that there was a frame rate and smoothness improvement with FSX-SE but it seems that all the updates that keep being applied to Steam just detract from FSX-SE's performance. Maybe it is my imagination but I can't, at present, see any reason to stay with SE, so I am considering going back to FSX Boxed.

Iain Smith

What updates are you referring to? As far as I can recall, there were two updates in the past six months?

Hi Daniel, I've no idea what the updates were but it seemed that every second or third time I started FSX there would be a Steam update  - not an FSX update - being applied. That's all I can tell you.

Iain Smith

Hi Daniel, I've no idea what the updates were but it seemed that every second or third time I started FSX there would be a Steam update  - not an FSX update - being applied. That's all I can tell you.

Iain Smith

Those updates only affect the Steam software client to correct bugs and security issues, and they are independent of FSX, so I don't see how that could negatively affect FSX performance. I'd hate for you go through the pain of resetting everything up when it may be some other unsettled issue. But if you do, tell us if you get better performance on the other end.

Those updates only affect the Steam software client to correct bugs and security issues, and they are independent of FSX, so I don't see how that could negatively affect FSX performance. I'd hate for you go through the pain of resetting everything up when it may be some other unsettled issue. But if you do, tell us if you get better performance on the other end.

Yes I ain, AviatorMoser is correct the Steam updates do not effect SE, and on the plus side SE had the compiler brought up to date to optimise running. But of course all our systems are different and I know for most SE is very good.

Apart from a Win install I may wait to see what DTG will do for the next update..and then try again...but in the meantime it will be a Win re install...when I have done that before FSX ran like a dream...I am also going to a 970 from a 770 so hope that might help...

All the best

Mark

Give it 6 months on boxed and the performance degradation will have you looking elsewhere again..its the nature of the beast unfortunately

ZORAN

Give it 6 months on boxed and the performance degradation will have you looking elsewhere again..its the nature of the beast unfortunately

Yes, have to agree....FSX or SE ......just seems to be that sort of software..be interesting what DTG come out with next year re performance....

Now back to tweak number 492.....trying talkiIng nicely to FSX. it may well help your FPS.......

All the best

Mark

I used FSX-SE and the performance was great, but it started to develop a problem, whenever I finished a flight, the screen would just go black, even though the flight selection screen was running underneath the black, I know because you could click the buttons and hear the sound. If you pressed Control Alt Delete and then cancelled it the screen would return to normal. Doesn't appear a big problem but I found it really irritating.

I went back to the boxed version and everything was back to normal. I've now uninstalled the boxed version and I'm running SE and gradually installing my add-on's one at a time to see if one of those is causing the problem, but they all run fine in the boxed version.

Ian 

Have been using FSX SE since day one, no problems with it nor my others steam games.

I try to keep my simulator pretty light

Cheers :)

N.-

I ended up going back to the boxed version too after trying out the steam edition, while it did run nice and smooth I had an issue where the textures in the distance were not clear and could not resolve it so after going back to boxed edition all ok. I still have the steam edtition but on my daily machine just to see how the updates go in the future.

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

The change to a 970 from a 770 will not make any real difference.  The 770 is a very good card, and a 970 provides about a 20% improvement over it even in games optimized for it.  A better GPU will not help framerates in FSX.  It can help with how textures are handled, but, again, the change from a 770 to a 970 will not be noticeable.  Moving from the older generations, such as 500 or 600 to 700 and above can show a noticeable difference in how textures are handled.  

No degradation i haven't seen before the more you install addons.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

So many responses (thanks) that I can't reply to them all. I hear what many of you say but I'm not convinced that Steam and FSX are as independent as you say i.e. could I uninstall Steam and still run FSX-SE? No, I didn't think so, which indicates to me that FSX runs on the back of Steam and therefore what happens to Steam could influence the performance of FSX.

Don't flame me on this! This is just a theory based on what I have observed on my own setup. As I have both versions installed on different drives, it is no problem for me to go from one to the other.

Anyway that is all I've got to say on the matter and all your replies were interesting.

Iain Smith