Sign in to follow this  
jeffyen

NO way, NO thanks...gates.to

Guest Dan CYKA

On the front page is an ad for a great new piece of software from gates.to. i thought I would have a look and it seems like a great add-on.Here is the problem though. I am not about to support a company that wants to have pop up ads appear on my sim while I'm flying.Here is what I found on their site. I won't buy anything from a company that wants to hijack my plane. if I'm reading this all wrong then tell me so I will stand corrected.=============================================AdWareYou know how important it is to let users know about your products and services. Thanks to gates.to/FSNet we are now able to offer you the opportunity to promote your brand within MSFS.The main difference between advertising in a specialized magazine or web site and gates.to/FSNet is that, when you choose gates.to/FSNet users will get your message while flying rather than having to buy a magazine or visit web sites. Moreover gates.to/FSNet will let you tailor your message(s) according to the users own language, flying location and aircraft in use. For istance, if a French user is flying a single propeller aircraft over Honolulu, you can decide to let him know about your latest Hawaii Scenery and, why not, your latest version of the Cessna 182 panel in French!The only limitation we can foresee now is that you will only be able to show a text message, that will be periodically played in the ATIS communication window, rather than the colourful presentations you publish in a magazine or over the web.Initially, until the gates.to/FSNet user base becomes big enough to plan a proper marketing campaign, you will be entitled to get an

Guest glnflwrs

Gotta agree with you 100%. This is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. He must think pretty low of simmers if he believes this will work. (IMHO)I don't care what the product is or how good it may be, this poisons it.Glenn

Guest jaapverduijn

Just about the craziest and most self-destructive idea I've seen in a very long time! Jaap Verduijn.

Guest Philip Olson

No way! I will never, ever buy this or even take it for free. How can they think that anyone wants to put up with ads during their "down" time? This is the problem today everyone seems to think that it is ok to intrude into every piece of a persons life to try and sell a product. My mantra is "If I wanted to buy your crappy product I would be out looking for it but since you forced it into my face I will never buy it." I refuse to buy any product that uses pop-ups or telemarketing, no exception, I value my down time and privacy. I will speak out against this product and warn others about it, I am pretty sure if you asked users if they would like this feature almost 100 percent would say no, so why are they including it????????????????????? Keep your spyware and adware crap off of my flight simulator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Best Regards,Philip Olsonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Guest ba747heavy

I agree, NO WAY!

[h3]Absolutely[/h3] [h1]100% NO![/h1]Thats just the most disgusting and despicable idea in the history of flightsim. Whats next, commericials during your shows on TV that are in a Picture-in-Picture box?Pathethic, I will not tolerate it. Sounded like a good idea/product that would be a lot of fun with two people.I hope it isn't this way: Your in your jet, just after takeoff"Gear up... Gear Up. Flaps 10.... Flaps 10. Flaps 5.....Flaps...Err....Uhh....Visit Hawaii with Our New Product... Flaps 5??....One minute the !@#$%@#$!@ ad isn't closing. etc, etc."[h3]IF[/h3]they have to do this, find a way to add it in so that we won't be interrupted by it. Like in the kneeboard.. put it on one of those pages and when you click on it it would be visible for a second or two.Either way, it's still the worst idea in the history of flight sim's in my humble opinion.Jason

Guest Rockcliffe

>The only limitation we can foresee now is that you will only>be able to show a text message, that will be periodically>played in the ATIS communication window, rather than the>colourful presentations you publish in a magazine or over the>web.>Well, there's that limitation and also the fact that any flightsim company that chooses to advertise that way would be boycotted by the very consumers they're trying to reach.BTW, has anyone ever thought about selling ads on their repaints, lol

The idea is sound. While it may not be for everyone it's good enough for most.It might even get some wannabe pirates to use the adware version instead of pirating it...And I doubt Maurizio would much care to loose people like you.

Obviously, I will not buy FSNet, or any other product the company will produce in the future, and of course I will also boycott any company that uses gates.to adware.But I can already see, how developers will defend their use of adware: "Our development costs are so high, that this is the only way to recoup our investment", "You'll have to put up with it, if you want to buy our product for less than $100" etc.And then some freeware author will come up with a tool that blocks the ads, which the adware users will try to circumvent in the next update, and a vicious circle begins. The loser is the simmer who'll se a loss in performance due to background processes 'fighting' each other on whether or not to display the ads.No thanks!Cheers,Gosta.

Guest nutmeat

Maybe, we need to reconsider the ol' tar and feathering form ridding the world of objectionable personnas.This is absolutely unacceptable and rubs me the wrong way sooo baaad!Ewueeeeee!Larry S.P.S. Reminds me of the saying when I was still working: "Just because we have the technology doesn't mean we have to build it!"Cell phones embedded with digital cameras and teeny/tiny number buttons comes to mind!

>While it may not be for everyone it's good enough for most.If 8 out of 9 people in this thread, immediately with no hesitiation put their hands down and said NO, how is that good enough for most people? If you did it with 1000 people the result would be the same. I would think nobody wants ads in their flight simulator.>And I doubt Maurizio would much care to loose people like you. Oh really? So he wouldn't mind if he only sold 1/10 as much as he could if there weren't ads in it?If the PMDG 737 for example had pop-up ads in your flight simulator most people wouldnt buy it. Please elaborate on how it is "good enough for most" because from this thread it clearly is not even close to being considered to be purchased.Looking foward to your reply,Jason :-waveEDITED to add nutmeats vote for NO. P.S.- Your "And I doubt Maurizio would much care to loose people like you." will be e-mailed to him, and we will see how he thinks of that?

"The idea is sound."No it isn't, it's appaling."While it may not be for everyone it's good enough for most."Most? Yours is the only post that isn't opposed to this."And I doubt Maurizio would much care to loose people like you."I think he'll *loose* most of his client base if he has pop-up ads on his product. I sure as heck wouldn't even consider it.Richard

Guest ba747heavy

Lets make that now 9/10 people :)

Guest Philip Olson

I love PMDG's products but I can garauntee that if they had adware / spyware I would not own it, period! What I can not understand is how anyone can think that this is acceptable? Well I can see, it is those that are only interested in making profit for themselves and do not truly care about the customer. I find it interesting that on the gates.to website they say how much they care about the customer, but anyone with any sense would know that most everyone here would be against adware/spyware in their FS. Maybe they will realize the error of this idea, I hope, and change their minds about this but if they do not it is clearly about profit and not what the customers want. I own my own business and so did my parents before me, I know about profit and trying to make a decent living but we have always done it with the customers desires first, not trying to sneak something in the back door. I treat my customers like they were my immediate family. I can tell you that I would not be happy about what my dad would say to me if I put spyware on his computer! :-) The end result of the way I treat customers...... right now I have more customers than I can handle, all by word of mouth. I hope that they come to see this. Besides, I wonder why so many people and governments are trying to stop adware/spyware? Could it be because it is an invasion of privacy, or maybe people are sick of advertising creeping into every aspect of their lives? I am, so I will not have any part of any company that tries to further fill my life with ads!Best Regards,Philip Olsonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

That makes 12 of 13, Mr. Wenting.I still see no idea how the idea is sound.