Sign in to follow this  
jeffyen

NO way, NO thanks...gates.to

Guest glnflwrs

If you look at what this really is it is even more disturbing. The developers are attemting to sell this pack of crap TWICE. Talk about payware, they would SELL adspace to, whomever. Then put this rotten mackerel on the store shelves and sell it to, whomever. Glenn Flowers

Guest sbdwag

For me its death by association. Both names are associated with the Lago FSE Fiasco and thats enought for me to stay clear and not support them in any way.Dennis

Guest drobson

It's bad enough that we have to run "Spyware" programs to rid our machines of this crap, and now some idiot wants to infect our flight sims too? I think not! I'll avoid any and all developers that want to do this.Darrell

Guest Dan CYKA

What surprises me is that AVSIM have not responded to their customer base in this thread, as to the possibility of pulling the front page ad, and also giving a warning or at least a very clear answer, as to what their position is on hijacking your sim.

I think the objections to this is a little overblown. I have no idea of the history of Lago, but as long as they are upfront in their readme.txt that users expect to get ads, and exactly how/where/when they will see the ads, I think it's fine.Another thing is that the ads will appear in the ATIS. That's not even like a popup window. That's just text, and it's more like a 'customer opt in' thing rather than an opt out. (ie. you need to press '+2 to see the ad.A little similar to the initial objections to ads in Gmail which is just way irrelevant... :)

Guest Dan CYKA

Here is what they say about the beta version.========================After we fix all the main bugs in the private beta testing cycle, we will release the public beta version. You will be able to download and use the public beta for free.Once the public beta version is stable to our standards, we will release it and it will become available as an AdWare product. Meaning you will be able to use it as long as you like if you accept, every now and then, to get some advertisement in the ATIS communication line about products and/or services offered by any third parties associated with the AdWare program.=========================OK, so they are up front about it ... sorta. It sure is not on the main page with the rest of the great program info. AVSIM's promo on the front page says nothing about it. I had to dig a bit to find out about it. But yes, you are correct, it does give you a choice. use it and get the ads, or don't use it. I think I'm still of the "NO way, NO thanks" mode. If you don't take the stand now, then it's only a matter of time before your planes are being hijacked by every add-on supplier out there.

Guest Whisperjet

>"The idea is sound.">>No it isn't, it's appaling.>>"While it may not be for everyone it's good enough for most.">>Most? Yours is the only post that isn't opposed to this.>>"And I doubt Maurizio would much care to loose people like>you.">>I think he'll *loose* most of his client base if he has pop-up>ads on his product. I sure as heck wouldn't even consider it.>>RichardDitto from me Richard.Jason, don't let Jeroen get to you...he is probably trying to "wind folks up" - again!?!There is always one !?!Til the next time!Ian

Another thing I've just thought of is that this is a free product (assuming that is indeed so.) Free products need ways to recoup their costs/earn more money.Just like the front page of Avsim has ads on the top of the webpage (taking up 20% of screen real estate on a 1024x768 monitor). Would I prefer less ads there? Maybe. But I think that's a little unreasonable because the service is provided as a gift, and they have the right to do what they need to do to continue operating (and of course we have the option too of not using the product.) As gifts go, there's also a thing about a horse's mouth or something... :)It's a balance between the benefits (hours of fun not previously available for FS?) vs the cost (10 seconds of looking at the ATIS voluntarily for the weather info and also looking at some text ads at the same time?) The only thing I'm worried is for them to go beyond standard privacy practices...

Guest metamarty

A company has launched the initiative to sell space in the flight simulator world: "We are dedicated to giving our customers the highest value for their money. We will sell neon signs that will appear on all autogen buildings. We also offer larger banners that will appear on famous landmarks like the golden gate bridge. We have a lot of buildings to sell, and they will go to the highest bidder, so we urge our customers to be quick. We are looking at the possibility to place a banner on the moon too, but have no yet decided on the price."

Count my vote in as a loud NO! I will boycott any company / website / freeware developer that has anything to do with something like this. Coming from someone who receives hundreds of spam e-mails a day (even though a filter), this direct marketing is a serious invasion of privacy. That being said, no reputable company is going to do something like this. Think of what the community reaction would be as a whole...

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest aerostar610P

Hey Craig. Not sure what spam filter you use. But, I've tried several.....including Spam Buster etall. Just couldn't find anything that worked. Until recently. I ran across an arcticle on a product called:Qurb, after reading how it functioned; I personally didn't even try the demo..just bought the product. Since then, I have virually reduced my spam to almost nothing. the web is www.qurb.com. Time permits check it out.I don't work for Qurb or affiliate; like you, I was just tired of the BS SPAM. And Spam Buster etc....wasn't working....this seems to work great.Best,Dave

Guest Daniel Pimentel

Wow, just when I thought FS users couldn't get any dumber... Now some jerk thinks adware is a good idea to sell FS products. I can't believe AVSIM even puts this on the front page, considering it's quite abusive. Right now you get a choice, and that's not bad. But it'll be bundled with products, and that's where the problem is. If developers defend this and give the idiot money, then I'll be very disappointed in this community.Now, Jeroen:The idea is sound.If you knew squat, you'd know adware and spam are NOT ways to sell anything these days. People hate pop-ups, and they hate unsolicited ads. While it may not be for everyone it's good enough for most.What? Who are most? You'd have to be pretty stupid to want ads on your flightsim. I mean, this defeats the very purpose of the sim, Jeroen. Unless of course, you're planning to have that VA you have in your banner advertised... :(And I doubt Maurizio would much care to loose people like you.I can't believe you're supporting him just like that. You must have something to gain in it, time will tell what it is. Nobody with common sense would support an intrusion of privacy like this.Daniel P.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpgMember of SJU Photography. [A HREF=http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=9004]Click Here[/A] to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!The official psychotic AA painter. :)

Although I don't forsee myself using this service because I don't do multiplayer, there seems to be quite a bit of FUD here. Again, if I read it correctly, this is not adware and spam or popups in the conventional sense of the word. If I haven't read it correctly, then yeah, they're crazy. LOLAdware seems to me to be stuff that stay in your computer, report your activities to another person, or hijack your computer's resources. Spam means intrusive stuff so extensive it interferes with your normal activities, most obviously seen in emails. Neither of this needs to be done to implement the project if the general privacy practices are respected. It is not an intrusion of privacy any more than I can say ads in yahoomail, gmail or hotmail or avsim frontpage are an intrusion of privacy. Emotionally, yes, that might be the case, but techically I don't think there is, it's all automated.I seriously doubt they will put in the ads in a payware version of the software. But I think many would be interested in a freeware alternative that shows ads. (If PMDB can offer such a thing for their 747 for e.g., I'd be the first to jump in. I don't mind looking at a few seconds of text in the ATIS to avoid paying the money!) :)

Hmmm, I believe it was a carnival or circus guy who said there is a sucker born every minute.:-) :-)Just proves that some folks will buy anything.....remember the pet rock??? Don't raise your hand or folks will know you still have one tucked away in the garage somewhere:-) :-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Like it or not, the people here are far from "most" users.And the few people posting here are only a very small minority of even the Avsim forum members.Just because you think you're so big and important and your opinion is that of the entire world doesn't mean you are.If PMDG had an option to either get it free but get advertisments in for example the FMC once every 10 minutes or so or you pay $40+$40 for it, I think there'd be a lot of people who would elect to put up with that advertising.For example the people who can't afford the addon otherwise yet are too honest to turn to criminal gangs peddling pirated versions.