Sign in to follow this  
jeffyen

NO way, NO thanks...gates.to

Guest Daniel Pimentel

Like it or not, the people here are far from "most" users.And the few people posting here are only a very small minority of even the Avsim forum members.Come on man, that's a strawman right there. Just because not every user shows his dislike over this, it doesn't mean they'll put up with it. Plus, as you said, the users on AVSIM are far from "most users", so who are you to say they will like the idea? Common sense should tell you many will be annoyed that someone is using their game to advertise their product...Just because you think you're so big and important and your opinion is that of the entire world doesn't mean you are.Who's talking about big and important? The fact is that using flight simulator to display ads is messed up because it's a game. Of course, if it's fully optional and explicit, that would make it better... But for some reason, I foresee abusing of this system. And if you can't, you're very short-sighted.If PMDG had an option to either get it free but get advertisments in for example the FMC once every 10 minutes or so or you pay $40+$40 for it, I think there'd be a lot of people who would elect to put up with that advertising.For example the people who can't afford the addon otherwise yet are too honest to turn to criminal gangs peddling pirated versions.And what would be PMDG's incentive to do this? Potential customers might opt for the free version, and decide not to buy the full one. And I doubt most will be willing to pay a price any higher than the current one, especially if you offer the product for free. Besides, this would lead to hacks that remove the adware, as I'm sure many many people would want to get rid of it.It is not an intrusion of privacy any more than I can say ads in yahoomail, gmail or hotmail or avsim frontpage are an intrusion of privacy.That analogy is flawed, because these ads are using the respective sites as ports, and these services are provided for free. But I did pay for FS, and this system is using a product I paid for to show me ads. That's where it gets shady. The problem is, this can't be compared to conventional ads... Because the platform it's putting the ads on is a product you paid for.Really, it seems as though all you do is try and cause trouble. You ALWAYS have to be the differing opinion.Daniel P.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpgMember of SJU Photography. [A HREF=http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=9004]Click Here[/A] to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!The official psychotic AA painter. :)

Stupidest idea...ever :)

Guest Philip Olson

My experience in general tends to be different. Quite often when I am working on someone's computer they ask me if I can stop all of the pop-ups they have been getting, if this person has downloaded something, a game, an add-on, whatever I tell them that the program they downloaded has such adware attached and if they want all of the adware gone they must delete the program. So far no one has told me to keep the program, in every case they would rather do without the program than to get ads all of the time. Now I am sure that some people are going to like the option of having the program free if they have to put up with ads, it is a good deal. If those ads remain subdued and not too frequent then some people will accept them but if they become more pronounced as they often do people are going to reject them and stop using the software. I am not against advertising, I am against in your face advertising and advertisors that collect data on you. How much information is this add-on going to collect about people? It says that if someone is flying in Hawaii they can then advertise a Hawaii add-on, how much data are they going to collect? One final thing that bothes me is that most companies that offer software that contains adware do not advertise that fact up front, usually their web page talks about what a great program it is and what it can do, no where any adware information. Usually the adware information is buried somewhere on the website, deep in the EULA, or in the read me. By now everyone should know that they should read everything before installing something but most people don't so they are tricked into installing the adware, I can promise you that most of the people that put out adware count on this. I would feel better about this if they stated on their front page, in the product description that this product contains adware. At least then all users would know what they are getting into. I personally would still not download it but at least the people would be more informed right off the bat. Philip Olsonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

I just got back from being over seas for two weeks and haven't had a lot of sleep and am probably grumpy (as usual) so please forgive my little diatribe here...Rhetorical question: why is that AVSIM gets bashed for publishing a news item? It seems to me that AVSIM is held to a much higher standard than other so called sim "news" sites. We reported the release of an MSFS add-on. Is it AVSIM's responsibility to check every nuance of a release before we report it? Is it our responsibility to take responsibility for your decisions or your responsibilities in making those decisions? Come on guys. If we told you that MSFS 2006 was going to be a dog and don't buy it, would you not buy it? I don't think so. If we told you that the Ariane soon to be released 737 was going to be a stellar release and you should buy it, would you? I hope not. I would hope you would spend some time in checking it out, before you put your money on the table.Let's be rational here folks... we report the news. Threads like this one inform the public about the products. We cannot possibly be expected to know everything there is to know about a release before we post news. If we adhered to that standard, you wouldn't frequent AVSIM's main page.To the point of the thread... I would not touch that add-on with a 10 foot pole. I have enough advertising in my life. I don't need any more in my flight sim. But.. that is MY personal choice. Others may find the product worth the advertising. So be it. That's what is great about living in free market economies. We chose. That's our right. As long as you are free to exercise that right, then you have the responsibility of learning all there is to know before you buy. Not what some mag / guru / whatever has reported.

Nobody should blame Avsim, the press release mentioned nothing even remotely connected to this. You even had to dig a bit on the site to find out about it, and even then it isn't very clear.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest jdu

We have enough commercails on TV and the Internet! My friend had something like that on his sim once, and it always choose to pop-up when he was on final approach! The ad was for a add-on that added a landing HUD to any aircraft, it was funny the first time, but got old after that. Imagine that happening in a REAL aircraft! "O.K were on final, XXX miles out, XXX feet, bring the throttle down. What the.. $#%@ ADD!" Ka-bang!

Hi All,As I read it while I try the software I'll get the odd extra message that'll wizz across my screen like my buddies messages in Multiplayer. If I like the abillity to share my flight with a 'Co-Pilot' I can buy the software and no more adverts.Best RegardsRichard 'Chaders' Chadwick

Guest Daniel Pimentel

Tom:I'm sure AVSIM was not aware of this... And that's not a problem, it happens. It's not your responsibility at all, but it would be nice if you guys updated it, because many might not even go the distance. And it would suck if as said before, they hide the disclaimer well inside the add-on so you don't realize you're installing it.Daniel P.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpgMember of SJU Photography. [A HREF=http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=9004]Click Here[/A] to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!The official psychotic AA painter. :)

Guest steelhead

Where does it say the ads will disappear if you buy the software? Check the site again; these guys are planning to sell advertising access to their entire user base.There's no money in offering advertising to a few users who haven't bought the software. The advertiser doesn't even know if those people are going to use it more than once. The valuable audience are the people who bought it and can therefore be assumed to use it repeatedly. That's the audience these guys are planning to sell.It's beyond me how some people don't see advertising messages scrolling across the screen while you're playing as intrusive....I expect this one to fall flat on its face.

Guest comradesniper

belive it. some people really are this dumb (have you ever been on zone.com and entered an IP game? you get around 10 people asking you to "launch mofo!" when you get back.)

Have you even looked at their website and not just read the crap the OP posted?They're giving you a choice:Either you pay for it and no ads or you don't pay and you get an occasional ad.Seems a fair deal to me. If you like what you get for free except the ads you go out and buy it.That's the exact same way programs like Opera work, and most download managers, and many more except that those are FAR more intrusive and show you flashing full colour banner ads (sometimes with sound) that can take up 10-20% of your screen.There's millions of people (literally) who don't object to that, I doubt they'd object to an occasional line of text scrolling across the top of their screen.

Don't bother. The kiddos have made up their mind that there's a big conspiracy to hijack their computers and turn them into zombies.I wonder when the first one will suggest it's the CIA doing it in an attempt at mind control.After all, the OP deliberately didn't mention that you'll not get advertising if you pay for the product while that is clearly to be read on the website.None of the other whiners even visited the site or they'd have been able to see that for themselves.None of them probably work in IT either and so don't know the cost involved in developing and supporting software.Nor does it seem like most of them have to generate an income to feed themselves and their families.

Guest ba747heavy

I am locking this thread, it seems we can't have a discussion without personal attacks.