Sign in to follow this  
G-YMML1

REX Soft Clouds. Do I need them?

They have a lovely discount now, so I'm thinking. I own REX Essential Plus and run 1024 clouds' textures. What benefits (aesthetical and performance-wise) Soft clouds would bring to P3D?

Thanks

They just look better and blend better together IMO. 

In real life, clouds are rarely "HD" and extremely jagged and sharp like was the trend in FSX for so long. 

Ok, I'll ask G's question again until we get an answer...

.... I own REX Essential Plus and run 1024 clouds' textures. What benefits (aesthetical and performance-wise) Soft clouds would bring to P3D?

Thanks

Thanks G!

Anybody?

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

They are much more aesthetically pleasing.

I use 1024x1024 (P3D) myself. I've found the product makes my clouds look far better. It's worth the money with the discount. It's not a necessity by any means, so don't break your bank for it.

I have experienced neither a performance increase, nor a performance decrease.

Aamir Thacker

One of the best things about the soft clouds is that unlike the 1024 and most Essential clouds you don't get that `reach out and touch` moment of something solid you enter.

As any real pilot knows, and any jet passenger who pays attention looking out the window will tell you there is no `light switch` moment when you enter cloud. There's a transition period - usually a second or two, when the vis draws rapidly in. I think the soft clouds emulate that transition very, very well.

I see no performance changes at all.

Of course you don't need them, you need air, water and food! However if you want your flights to look ultra realistic and jaw droppingly gorgeous......Then Soft Clouds will give you that little bit extra B) And +1 on what louisdecoolste said.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Guest JustanotherPilot

You don't need them but you would certainly notice the cloud immersion and realism without them.

For me, no difference between the normal clouds of REX at 512 32bit and soft clouds.

In a Word

YES

They are a lot softer than any other REX clouds, alot.....lot softer.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I have been happy with the default clouds - providing you take a little time to adjust them in options.

Trouble is many simmers are used to HD-type clouds from Rex et al and have not flown for extended periods with 'lowly' default clouds.  They are soft.

In real life distant clouds appear hard edged, particularly in direct sunlight.  As one moves closer and there is less sunlight the clouds appear softer, no?

Whatever works for you, and your wallet.  Just remember what P.T. Barnum was reputed to have said.

I got them yesterday and they are stunning & just a little over $5.. Can't pass that up even if you didn't like them.. B)

Pivot

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

I have 'em too.  Got them during the last sale of 5$ so I figured why not?  But to be honest I have been very pleased with the default clouds so much I forgot I picked these up.  Gotta try 'em over the holidayz.  Be interesting to see a before/after screenie.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I was also thinking of buying the soft clouds but I then tried out the free HDEv2 clouds and I'm more than pleased with them and especially considering they are even cheaper than the soft clouds with the current discount :wink:

Richard Åsberg