Sign in to follow this  
ckelly14

New to P3D; proper REX and ORBX install

Been running FSX  awhile now and I recently purchased Prepar3d.  Questions:

1.  I understand my Orbx scenary will work with P3D but I will need to install the Orbxlib P3D file.  Do I do this after each scenery install or after I have finished all the installations?

2.  I have REX essential w overdrive installed.  DO I just point the program to P3D instead of FSX or do I reinstall?

Thanks

hello have you purchased the P3d Rex update,cost me a fiver but as far as i know it still needs that license,If I have to reinstall it shows P3d not activated,until I reactivate which take,s second,s,yes you just point it to P3d

hope this helps

peter

ORBX scenery will work but you need to redownload if you don't already have the triple installers.

It's a very unclever move to throw all the scenery in at once, then add the libraries - Put them in one at a time, check they work and dont cause problems or else you will have a hell of a time troubleshooting any issues that occur. So that means library install after each, as it's the last thing always. FTX Central 2 makes this easier than before so you probably won't need to actually run the library installer.

As Peter has stated you can just `point` the Rex installer after you've purchased the extension to the license.

well I believe you should use the Orbx with the P3d installer built in and I tend to re download to get the latest versions,a bit of a pain,as I have 24 Orbx paid add ones and quite a few free one,s!,but I think you will find it all worth the effort when finished,with Rex and Orbx add on,s installed to me the graphic,s in P3d v2.5 are just brilliant

peter

Thank you.  I am in the process of downloading updated installers.  I opened P3D and was surprised how much it looked like FSX- guess I shouldn't have been but I thought they would make some changes with the layout/menus to make it more intuitive.  

Hope this is worth it....

After installing both Orbx and REX, I really didn't see any tangible difference with P3d.  Also, my favorite plane for Alaska travels, Kodiak Quest Sea plane, didn't have working MFD's in P3d.  I ended up uninstalling for now...

After installing both Orbx and REX, I really didn't see any tangible difference with P3d.  Also, my favorite plane for Alaska travels, Kodiak Quest Sea plane, didn't have working MFD's in P3d.  I ended up uninstalling for now...

You need Estonia migration tool to install legacy fsx products that would have probably got your Kodiak to work - many programs will not install properly without this tool

Rich Sennett

I'm sure there are ways to make this work.  Guess I'm just lazy and FSX still works for me.  I'm sure P3D will be a must do in the future, but not sure the added effort equals the pay-off right now...

I'm sure there are ways to make this work.  Guess I'm just lazy and FSX still works for me.  I'm sure P3D will be a must do in the future, but not sure the added effort equals the pay-off right now...

You need to give it a chance - also you mention Orbx didn't make much of a difference - it should have been much different

Rich Sennett

The shadows, HDR lighting and many other things are not `out of the box-able`, you need to spend more than five minutes with the software.

That's why L-M give you 60 days to get your money back.

http://www.prepar3d.com/support/refundpolicy/

You've got it now, why not persevere? We all KNOW it's far superior to FSX when it's set up right.  :good:

You need to give it a chance - also you mention Orbx didn't make much of a difference - it should have been much different

Sorry about the confusion.  I was meaning to say that REX + Orbx in P3d did not look visually different than REX + Orbx in FSX.  I fly low and slow so only fly Orbx regions.  

Perhaps I will give it another go.  Is there any guides to properly setting up P3d out there so I know I'm seeing what I need to see?

Sorry about the confusion.  I was meaning to say that REX + Orbx in P3d did not look visually different than REX + Orbx in FSX.  I fly low and slow so only fly Orbx regions.  

Ah I see low and slow would explain some of it - fsx is a dead horse - P3D will be updated over time - the work going to your video card in p3d is a huge benefit - dx11 and dx12 capable - all the added eye candy - theres more but I wont bore you - as stated you have to give P3D time to settle in and there is another major update coming around the corner which I think will be nice - theres tons of info in P3D general and tips forum here at AVSIM

Rich Sennett

Guest JustanotherPilot

For ORBX scenery that don't yet have the triple installers I've quite successfully directly copied over the files from FSX without using any migration tool, only a few library textures don't show. Make sure you do the relevant scenery search under windows  first to make sure have all of the files and their correct folder structure, there are a few script files that need to be copied.

Richard is right, FSX although, still a great platform just can't be improved more that the tweaks you make, whereas P3D is development in motion. I doggedly continued with FSX but found that a lot of the addon manufactures charge extra for the P3D version after the FSX purchase, so cost wise it made sense to me to buy  into the platform that is evolving.

steve

so cost wise it made sense to me to buy  into the platform that is evolving.

Good point Steve

Rich Sennett