Sign in to follow this  
WayneG

Your Reviews For FSX Steam Edition

So i was just wondering what is everyone's review on FSX Steam Edition & what you like about it and most importantly noticed about it.

My Review

Better VAS Usage

Less Crashes

More Stable.

It's stable, easy to install, and manges VAS better. Otherwise it's FSX. I got the same or worse performance as the boxed version. Usually it was indistinguishable. 

I used FSX-SE for a few months but ended up going back to P3D. I just found to much I was missing visually.

It's my preferred Visuals Simulator.

I use it with Autogen and Scenery Complexity to the minimums, and have ORBX FTX Global installed, and a few freeware airports, plus a payware from Aerosoft. 

ORBX FTX Global is so good in the way it "paints" the textures around the World that is more than enough for the purpose.

I also use ASN to inject the weather visuals ( visibility and clouds + precipitation, thunder...).

I do not use FSX:SE as a flight simulator, but I did try PMDG's 777 on it, all I can tell is that I never had a single problem, OOM, or CTD, and although I have a limited rig ( i5 2500 and GTX 650 Ti 1GB GPU ), it was smooth.

I set it at 72 fps, fixed, not in NI, and that's what it gives me most of the time, unless the skies are full of convective clouds.

Since I do not plan to use any of the online functionalities provided by Steam, I run it in offline mode. 

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

One minor problem with FSXSE that I've noticed is that you can't delete saved flights from within FSX. But that's not really a deal breaker as you can just do it by hand in Windows.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

In FSX-SE I have absolutely zero frame loss when undocking anything to a second screen in windowed mode. Is anyone else noticing this? Its a huge deal as I can have as many panels as I want open now but it used to cost me 50% fps loss in FSX boxed

ZORAN

I use both FSX SE and P3D, and yes, FSX SE, at this moment in time, is much better. Especially regarding the OOM problem. Visually, using DX10 and Steves DX10 Fixer with cockpit shadows, there is no difference.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Have to agree with the posts above. I turned my back on FSX and switched to Xplane 2 years ago. I downloaded FSX-SE just to check it out.

I have over 470 hours logged already, no OOMS, no fatal crashes and a pleasure to use. Im running a stack of addons including orbx global and vector uk2000 airports and more. The sim is stable and far less frustrating than I remember. I only have an average PC performance wise.

I cant remember the last time I used Xplane. I have u-turned and returned to FSX-SE.

i also agree with the comments above, fsx-se is my sim of choice for heavies, not a single oom and i bought it for the 5 bucks during christmas.i also have a ton of addons installed and using 4k with the dx10 scenery fixer.i still average around 35-50 fps on the ground depending on airport, and 80+ fps in the air with the pmdg 777.i did an over night flight for 15 straight hours with all the sliders to the right and not a single problem with payware to payware airport.i still prefer p3d for low and slow, but thats rare for me.

In FSX-SE I have absolutely zero frame loss when undocking anything to a second screen in windowed mode. Is anyone else noticing this? Its a huge deal as I can have as many panels as I want open now but it used to cost me 50% fps loss in FSX boxed

thanks for that info beerwolfe, it's def a good reason to switch.  

I think you won't regret moving from FSX boxed o GFWL with the acceleration pack ( still the best general purpose civil flight simulator ever made available for PC ) to FSX:SE, but I would like to say that, should I have:

- interest in continuing to use FSX as a flight simulator ( which I actually don't, unless external flight dynamics and systems modeling are used );

- enough money to make a decent upgrade;

- enough money to pay for a professional license;

- enough money to pay for licenses for already owned add-ons;

my choice would be LM P3D V2.

At the same time I keep an eye into 3 promising projects:

- Outerra in the 1st place ( because I see it evolving )

- Aerofly FS v2, of which we know very little about...

- The upcoming DTG flight simulator, which we really don't know what will be...

and I still believe X-Plane 11 could finally bring the features that would make me re-consider it...

Lot's of choices for civil flightsims :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I am over the moon with this version, I was beginning to despair with continuous OOM messages and crashes to desktop with my PMDG aircraft, ORBX scenery and complex airports which are now a thing of the past.

I can now fly long haul with brilliant  frame rates no stutters and most importantly no OOM's on landing at airports such as KFSO, this rendition of FSX has just renewed my enthusiasm for FSX and with a few minor tweaks I have managed to install all my addons and they all work with just two exceptions, FSLabs ConcordeX and FS Recorder the latter I have read can be installed, but unfortunately I have not managed it yet.  

It's my preferred Visuals Simulator.

I use it with Autogen and Scenery Complexity to the minimums, and have ORBX FTX Global installed, and a few freeware airports, plus a payware from Aerosoft. 

ORBX FTX Global is so good in the way it "paints" the textures around the World that is more than enough for the purpose.

I'd like to see some screenshots of your combination!

I use FSX-SE and I'm happy so far. It was the perfect excuse to return to flightsim, i have not touched my boxed version since... 2011?

Cheers :)

N.-