Sign in to follow this  
kriapstable

Co pilot and approach

Hello, I was using RC 4 for some time now. Sometimes I come across a problem, where I use my co-pilot for flying all the way from taking off to final landing clearance. So it happens that when I am near my airport to land and after i got the approach clearance, the controller says i need to descent to my final altitude and turn to xx degrees (that it is not accurate sometimes to intercept the loc) and my co pilot disconnects saying ''plane is yours''. It happens from time to time. So the question is why: is it something in the settings, i ran makerunways, have registered fsuipc. Please, help i want my copilot all the way :) Thank you. 

If I understand you correctly you want RC4 to fly the approach and land the aircraft for you. The obvious question is why?

You've paid good money for FS. Have you no interest in learning how to land an aircraft?

Many people might hand control over to the co-pilot for part of the flight for reasons of convenience but I've never heard of anyone wanting to hand over control to RC for a landing.

In short, it cannot do what you ask. It cannot fly a glideslope. Once you're cleared down to the approach altitude the handling of the aircraft is your responsibility. You can either land it manually or use the a/p of the aircraft you're using if it has autoland capability.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

No, I do fly the approach myself. The copilot disconnects at the altitude of 8000 feet with xx direction to approach. This heading is wrong, so I need to navigate myself with the default GPS to intercept the loc and glidscope. I noticed that this sudden disconnection began to occur when I had AI interaction, short flight. Just wondered if it's a knwon issue, maybe I have missed something.

Dopes this happen at all airports or only one? More info is required. Flight plan, aircraft used would be a start.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

It's ok,thank you. Don't want to go deeper into this. And one more thing: with due respect sir if I purchased the software so it's up to me how I fly, what I use or don't use. You don't have a right / need to lecture me. Anyway thanks for your time.

Ray was just explaining the limitations of RC. The co-pilot actually uses the a/p interface within the applications but there are too many variances to handle the last stages of approach. That is explained in the RC manual. Of note the a/p interface must be standard FS. Some advanced models are not flyable by the RC copilot since they depart from the standard FS interfacing techniques used in the MS SDK rules.

As far as being given the incorrect intercept heading there is one FS bug that can be involved. FS default airports have the LOC/OLS back course property on by default. At airports where the LOC frequency is the same at both ends (within FS) generally you get the incorrect one unless within two degrees of the extended center line.

On short leg flights where you are close to the runways timing is critical and your intercept heading would radically change. Occasionally on straight-ins  RC might get it incorrect.