Sign in to follow this  
marcus300zx

ATC Add on

Hi All,

Is there an ATC add on that will stop the issue where I get assigned a Visual Approach when I am doing an IFR flight?  Does VOXATC do this?

I only fly using IFR and ATC Vectored Approaches as that's what I enjoy, but I know there are programs out there that can enhance this further for me.

Long time user of Radar Contact here, one of the best addons I have bought, been using it since 2005, you can't go wrong with RC4.

For my current round the world trip I am using Proflight Emulator 2.15 just for a change of pace and It is performing perfectly so far, the regional voices changing as I get further into my trip are a really nice touch.

It's not uncommon to get assigned a visual approach when you fly IFR in real life. 

vatsim s3

1133704.png

Radar Contact gives you the option of a visual approach but you, as the pilot, have to select it on the on-screen menu.  In the real world visual approaches can be issued by ATC or requested by the PIC (Pilot in Command).  

If you don't select a visual approach or a full instrument approach (which is another option) RC controllers will, by default, provide you with vectors to the approach gate.

I don't understand why even in real life a Visual Approach would be assigned to a modern Jet with full Autoland Abilities.  I can see why now and again an airliner would do a manual land to keep their skills up, but would that decision be more down to the pilot rather than the ATC

A short visual approach can save valuable time as you won't have to fly out and establish yourself on the localizer first. Just make your turn shortly before the glideslope and put the bird down by hand.

I occasionally see airplanes do this at TXL if traffic allows.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

visual approach is an approach to a runway at an airport conducted under instrument flight rules (IFR) but where the pilot proceeds by visual reference and clear of clouds to the airport. The pilot must at all times have either the airport or the preceding aircraft in sight.

Flying a visual approach doesn't necessarily mean a "hand-flown" approach.   Any instruments available can be utilized, including the autopilot and autoland if appropriate and available, just as with any other approach.

The majority of the time, visual approaches are given when conditions permit. They are preferred for system efficiency and are the rule, not the exception.

Chris

The majority of the time, visual approaches are given when conditions permit. They are preferred for system efficiency and are the rule, not the exception.

That is correct.  

It should also be noted that the PIC can refuse a visual approach directive from ATC  for a number of reasons.   Example, the pilot wants to fly full instrument approach or wants vectoring to the approach gate.

Usually even with default ATC you can ask for a different approach, and also for vectors to final or you can get cleared to a transition (I think you'll be cleared direct to the transition). I think you can also do circling or sidestep approaches.

Barry Friedman

In addition to this pilots very rarely use autoland. Pretty much the only time they use it is when the conditions force them to or they have to do it to stay current on their autoland qualifications (both pilot and airplane)

vatsim s3

1133704.png

To answer the OP's question, VoxATC will do exactly what you want.  If you're on an IFR flight plan Vox will ONLY assign you an instrument approach.  If you accept the assigned approach you will be vectored all the way to the FAF.  However, you can request a 'Full' ILS approach and that will allow you the freedom to fly the approach as published.  Vox will even request that you report certain waypoints along the way and then tell you tou to contact the tower, which will then clear you to land.  Also, you can request any approach coded in your dest airport and you will be cleared for that published approach.  Works really great, and you can fly the actual published approached by the numbers without being nagged by atc.

Jay

Current Build (02/2024): AMD 7800X3D | Asrock X670E Steel Legend MB | Noctua NH-U12S Chromax | 32gb GSkill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 CAS 30 | Samsung 990 Pro 2tb NVMe Gen4 (OS) | WD Black 4tb NVMe Gen4 (MSFS) | Corsair RM1000x Shift Series PS | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix ROG | LG 55" C2 Display

Usually even with default ATC you can ask for a different approach, and also for vectors to final or you can get cleared to a transition (I think you'll be cleared direct to the transition). I think you can also do circling or sidestep approaches.

I got instructed to sidestep out of the blue by default ATC once. Imagine the look on my face...

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Long time user of Radar Contact here, one of the best addons I have bought, been using it since 2005, you can't go wrong with RC4.

For my current round the world trip I am using Proflight Emulator 2.15 just for a change of pace and It is performing perfectly so far, the regional voices changing as I get further into my trip are a really nice touch.

Whats the back round Chatter like on these two Glynn.    I'm using a 2 week free trail on Pilot Edge, even though i don't know what i'm doing,  the back round chatter is amazing