Sign in to follow this  
Blaze

Has blurry textures at altitude and "whiteout" been fixed?

Been on an Xplane hiatus for awhile now ad am curious if either of these have been addressed by LR in the last year?

RE Thomason Jr.

The new extended DSF option has sorted the the Blurry textures at altitude problem although make sure you've got a metric butt ton of memory available.

The whiteout issue was resolved too recently.

It's gone from a good sim to a great sim with the last few updates! 

Regarding the whiteout issue, I am running 10.36; was this issue resolved in the upcoming 10.40 patch or is there an option I need to enable to get rid of the whiteout?

Yes, it's been taken care of in the 10.40 update. It's still in beta though, so if you don't want to use the beta version, you'll have to wait for the final version.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Not sure what you mean by the "whiteout", do you mean when you go through clouds? If so the latest beta seems to be just the same as 10.36. However the new Extended DSF option in 10.40 takes care (at last) of the blurry terrain.

Not sure what you mean by the "whiteout", do you mean when you go through clouds? If so the latest beta seems to be just the same as 10.36. However the new Extended DSF option in 10.40 takes care (at last) of the blurry terrain.

With SkyMaxxPro, I just fly through puffy clouds with great visibility around and sometimes through them. Distant scenery is there with not a great hit in FRs.  Actually, I noticed no drop. Great!

John

John Wingold

With SkyMaxxPro, I just fly through puffy clouds with great visibility around and sometimes through them. Distant scenery is there with not a great hit in FRs.  Actually, I noticed no drop. Great!

John

Not a big fan of SMP John, although it makes for pretty screenshots at lower levels for VFR flying. I find the defaults give better coverage at flight levels (>FL150) where I spend most of my time. although I keep the default puffs down (for want of a better expression) to 50% otherwise fps can get choppy in heavy overcast.

FL330

777_v10_15.md.png

Approaching KJFK during a thunderstorm - tried to catch lightening flashes, but failed...

777_v10_27.md.png

John Wingold

Not a big fan of SMP John, although it makes for pretty screenshots at lower levels for VFR flying. I find the defaults give better coverage at flight levels (>FL150) where I spend most of my time. although I keep the default puffs down (for want of a better expression) to 50% otherwise fps can get choppy in heavy overcast.

I've raised this point too over at the org and got shot down.

SMP is pretty but it is severely limited. Even at MAX distance, you switch to an outside view of your aircraft and you can see a square box of clouds all around you. I only use it because my PC ain't man enough to run XP clouds, but I prefer them visually and think they're far more accurate. Big fluffy white clouds don't happen that frequently.

I'd love to be able to configure SMP so that I can have SMP and XP clouds showing together. I'd may be get the best of both worlds.

Even at MAX distance, you switch to an outside view of your aircraft and you can see a square box of clouds all around you. 

I thought that, that was just me! So, default clouds, this doesn't happen right? 

SMP is pretty but it is severely limited.

Skymaxx V3 is in the works apparently so hopefully it will improve upon these elements. I agree that Skymaxx can look very nice under certain weather situations but other time the clouds do not look realistic at all and are too fluffy like cotton wool balls repeating themselves in a square box around your aircraft. It really depends on the situation but hopefully the great work John does on them can be made into something amazing in V3. I have no doubt that he is extremely talented and I'm sure V3 will be great.

Using real terra haze in combination with smp could provide a great view result due to the optional haze layer provided by real terra haze, it reduces the square box of clouds effect.

Alexander Colka

The haze layer is controlled by RTH? How do I disable it?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |